FACULTY SENATE MEETING

March 3, 1999

 

 

I. Call to Order.

 

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – I am going to go ahead and call the meeting to order. We are four short of a quorum so we can’t approve the minutes. But I don’t want to hold everybody up who have busy schedules, so I will start off by calling for Report of the President.

 

 

II. Reports of Officers.

 

PRESIDENT JOHN M. PALMS:

Thank you and good afternoon. In case you missed the write up in the newspapers or the Chronicle last week, we got some good news that the University now ranks 32nd in America in attracting National Merit Scholars. We had actually 61 here. The paper reported 57 last year, and about 7 years ago I think we had 3. We have 82 in the pool for next year. Twenty have already accepted. Those of you who know these National Merit Scholars are applying to your college or your department: any help you can give recruiting these is very, very important. They also bring a lot of friends with them, and they also happen to have very good SAT scores. This puts us in sort of the top 1% of universities in attracting these outstanding students. The average SAT of these 61 is 1460, and 88% of these are South Carolinians. These are students who used to leave the state, but they are coming here now. We also have 11 National Achievement Scholars. These black students are also from South Carolina, their average SAT score is 1396, and they definitely could have gone anywhere in the country. Thank you for attracting them and your work on retention that keeps them here as well. I want to thank Char Davis. Will you stand up for a minute? I want to thank Terry Davis for the work she has done too in helping recruit these outstanding students.

We had a retreat 3 weeks ago with the Board of Trustees, and the members of the Educational Foundation and Development Foundation, and representation from the Business Partnership Board and the South Carolina Research Institute. The topic this year was "What It Really Means to be an AAU Institution." We had very thorough discussions about the quality of such an institution and our goals of trying to be worthy to be admitted or invited into that elite group of institutions, but the most important aspect of our discussion was that once you have decided that that is the level on which you want to operate, what do you do every day in the way your teach, in the way you do your research, how you treat students, etc.? I think it was extraordinarily informative for these members of these boards. We had just outstanding presentations by the faculty. On the last day we had Neil Pings, who is the former president of the Association of American Universities, who just retired and who came in and described to us what the qualities were of the last 4 institutions that were invited into the AAU--the University of California, Irvine; University of California, Santa Barbara; University of California, Davis; and Emory University--and we were able to see where we stood. This was not an unrealistic goal as far as he was concerned. We have made a lot of progress, but there are also some sobering things that we need to accomplish, and I think there is a now much better understanding on the part of the Board of Trustees and the boards of these foundations.

This is the time of the year for budget-making. The Ways and Means Committee listed the capitol projects and some of the budget items are going to be approved by the House. The good news is that there is a 4% salary increase in there for faculty, which allows us not just 4% across the board, but anywhere from 0-8%. This is not a totally funded budget increase. So we would have to pick up some of this. As usual, it might mean a 1% increase in our tuition. Nevertheless that is encouraging because even though inflation is below that, we have a lot of catching up to do.

When we submitted all our capital projects (both on this campus and on other campuses) the Commission on Higher Education was asked by the Ways and Means Committee to give the priorities of these capital projects. In the past, the Commission on Higher Education has always said that they were really not capable of naming priorities but, this year, they decided they were very well qualified to do so. They didn’t really consult with us. They asked us to make a priority list, and we said we would not, for the very same reason we have never done it. So, they submitted a priority list which is not in keeping with anything that would have been on our priority list, an action we have criticized. We do not want the CHE to be involved in the internal decisions of this institution. Luckily, the Ways and Means Committee did not pay much attention to it. But, nevertheless, what the Ways and Means did come out with is just a long list of capital allocations to almost every institution in the state. We have a number of items on the list, including $5 million for the Law School, $3.6 million for the School of Public Health and a continuing payment on the arena, but we still have some other things that we would like included on that list, and now it goes from the House to the Senate. So, if you know who your senator is, call them. We have extraordinary political power in the Low Country because they seem to have gotten a lot of projects. There is also representation in the Up Country, the Speaker of the House for instance, but the Midlands doesn’t have any strong representation in the House. I shouldn’t say that out loud, should I? At least, it is not strong enough to get us equally represented on the list of priorities. So, in the Senate it is important that Senator Courson and Senator Wilson support us strongly and get items in that budget for us.

Here at the University, we will continue to work diligently. We have talked with members of the House and Senate about special projects that are going on in Florida, Tennessee, and Kentucky to help the flagship institution become really first-class. There are special appropriations given to certain institutions in those states. We were in Florida to kick off regional campaigns in Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, and Palm Beach, and everywhere we went, we heard about the special program that helped the University of Florida not only stay in the Association of American Universities, but, furthermore get into the top 10 public institutions in the country. If a $600,000 donation is given there for an endowed chair the state will match $400,000, and that is obviously great for that university. As you know, last year we had $800,000 allocated to match the yield off of new endowments given to the institution. That was the first time that money was allocated. This year, we had a million dollars, and so far it did not pass in the House so we are trying to get that reinstated in the Senate and also get that increased. But, that is just a struggle we have in this state to identify the flagship institution worthy of these special allocations.

There is another challenge before us. It concerns the Palmetto Fellows Program, a very successful program to keep outstanding students in this state. This has been supported by the Barnwell site and last year we had 197 Palmetto Fellows, more than any other institution in the state. The private institutions can also share in this program, and in the past, the formula has said that since they have 18% of the enrollment of South Carolinians they could have 18% of the money. Now they have not been satisfied with this. They are lobbying very intensely to have no caps set on the percentage of that money going to them. But if you look at all the public programs to help students that we have and that’s not just the Palmetto Fellows Program, it’s the need-based program, the STAR Program, and you add those up, public universities have 82% of the students in South Carolina but the private colleges get as much money as we do. We get about $75,000,000 and they get $73,000,000. We are publicly opposing the private colleges getting any additional money for scholarships. So, if you call your representatives or senators, tell them that this is just not fair. We are trying to create a level playing field. Some of these private colleges have just a small percentage, maybe 25%, of South Carolinians, and they can take this money and buy their students and they can use the other money to get students from out-of-state. So we don’t want to support out-of-state students going to private institutions at the expense of money that could be going to the public university.

Johnny Gregory is doing a great job in following all these little things and trying to counter them before they really get going.

I mentioned the campaign in Florida. We also kicked off a campaign in New York and Charlotte. There were about 200 people in Charlotte and they pledged $19,000,000 for the campaign. Our campaign is now at $210,000,000, and it is really just beginning. Even when I think we are through reaching our goal, we will just have begun laying the groundwork, increasing the breadth of participation and of the annual campaigns, and also expanding the depths of possible giving. It is a good beginning, but we are still not doing nearly as much with fundraising as other flagship institutions are doing throughout the country. We have 90,000,000 alumni out-of-state. The more of these alumni that I meet, the more successful they look to me, and they are anxious that this institution continue to improve. Not all of them are capable of giving at the level of Darla Moore, but sometimes they say, "I cannot give a Darla-Moore-gift, but I am thinking about, you know, a half a million or $100,000." You know the story of these students calling on prospective donors or alumni. One evening, a student asked this particular person on the other line for a substantial gift. Usually they have asked from $300-$500. A young lady asked for a $1,000 gift and this particular individual, who had never been called before, said "Well, I am going to do better than that." When his letter came, he had given $1,000,000. Then he showed up on the campus a few weeks later just to look around and left a check for $250,000. He then walked in my office two days ago, told stories about the great times, and said, "I don’t have any children or heirs. "I want to do a lot more." Now, those are the kinds of calls you would like to make.

It is also the time for tenure and promotion evaluations, as well as faculty recruiting. I finished reading about 30 files or so, and I just want to tell you how much these files have been improved. I know the Provost will continue to work with the departments, but maybe he sent me all the very best files first. They all had unanimous recommendations from the T&P Committee, and from the departments, the deans, and the provost (he is probably holding the ones that are a bit weighty). Overall it has been a great improvement over the letters that have been solicited outside the University, the care that you are taking in doing that evaluation, and obviously the feedback that faculty are getting. We have been very fortunate, hiring 500 faculty in the last 4 years.

On this campus alone, we hired 365, but 100 of those are no longer here. This may not be the place for everyone, and that is to be expected, but we have had an opportunity to hire just outstanding faculty. Every day, I get notification of yet another very good hire particularly at the assistant professor level. It is a buyer’s market for us. We are fortunate, in a way, that we have these opportunities to hire good faculty. So far this year, we have 40 faculty members that have announced their retirements. Some of these faculty will come back and teach a course for a nominal remuneration, which helps us, also. The word is out that we are hiring good people in South Carolina, and that is helping us to attract outstanding faculty.

Mr. Chairman, that is my report for today. I will be glad to answer any questions or receive comments.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Any questions or comments? Mr. President, could you address our increase in the endowment this year?

PRESIDENT PALMS – Our endowment when we started the campaign was a $100 million, and it’s at about $215 million right now.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – The increase last year was .....?

PRESIDENT PALMS - In the Chronicle they list new endowments, and the increase at the University of South Carolina was the single largest percentage increase this year of any endowment.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – That’s pretty good.

PRESIDENT PALMS – Yes, but it’s not good enough.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Let’s see if we can do it again next year.

 

III. Approval of the Minutes.

 

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – I do see a quorum. Are there any corrections to the minutes? Will those people who are unidentified in the minutes identify themselves to the secretary?

PROFESSOR MARCO VALTORTA – COMPUTER SCIENCE - Okay, that is me.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – So we can correct that. Thank you very much.

PROVOST ODOM:

Thank you, Don. First thing I would like to tell you today has to do with deans’searches. I am always happy when I talk about a successful dean’s search. I am sure that you know now that our new dean of the College of Liberal Arts is Dr. Joan Stewart who will join us in August. Dr. Stewart is a long time faculty member at North Carolina State University. She was head of their Department of Foreign Languages and Literature for some time, very strong research skills, teaching skills, administrative skills. I can’t tell you how happy I was that she accepted the offer. I would like to thank all of the faculty that were involved. We had tremendous faculty input into that process at the end in terms of letting me know what they thought about the three candidates that we had. I thought we had three good candidates but I was very pleased that we made the offer and Joan Stewart accepted the offer. She has a bachelor’s degree from St. Joseph’s College in New York and her doctorate is from Yale. She will be a tenured full professor in French.

We have on our campus today a candidate for the Executive Dean of Regional Campuses and Vice Provost for Continuing Education, Dean Chris Plyler, USC-Beaufort is the candidate. His was the only name that came forward from the search committee. Just to remind you this was an internal search and we are very pleased that Dean Plyler is a candidate. We will see how the day goes and keep you informed about that particular search.

The Darla Moore School of Business dean search is moving along very well. I think we have, after a series of airport interviews, reached a place where we have the top four candidates and I would assume that we will be having candidates to campus within two or three weeks.

We are also in the process of searching for a registrar. We have a very able interim registrar, David Rembert. He came out of retirement and decided to strap it on one more time and do it for the good of the institution. I worked with David in the College of Science and Mathematics when he was associate dean. From that perspective he certainly understands the registration process, the student problem process, and all of the nuances associated with what our registrar has to deal with. David, I sincerely thank you for being willing to do this until – David has given me a deadline of June 30th. At that time the registrar’s office turns into a pumpkin and David goes to Saluda, North Carolina for the rest of the summer. So we hope to have a registrar here by mid-summer. Dennis Pruitt is chairing that search committee and I have asked two or three of you in this room if you will sit on that committee. I would appreciate your help in our registrar’s search.

The President mentioned the faculty hires – I usually don’t announce people that we have hired, but we have hired two outstanding faculty at the full professor level and I thought I would just briefly mention those: Jannette Hospital has taken the creative writing position in the English Department. She is very highly respected author. She is Australian. She will be joining us this summer and we are very pleased to have her. I commend Robert Newman and the English Department faculty for that hire. In the College of Science and Mathematics, we have recently hired Ronald Benner from the University of Texas at Austin. Dr. Benner will be a tenured full professor in the Department of Biological Sciences and will be in our Marine Science Program. Dean Gary Crawley and Dr. Madilyn Fletcher who is director of the Marine Science Program and also director of the Baruch Institute had a great deal to do with this hire so I also commend individuals involved with them.

I am always happy to talk about faculty awards and we certainly have our share right now. Last week – last Thursday, Dr. Matthew Bruccoli of our Department of English received the Thomas Cooper Society Medal. Previous recipients are Pat Conway, Joseph Heller, and James Dickey. We are very happy for Matt. I am sure most of you know that Matt is one of the world’s foremost scholars on F. Scott Fitzgerald and is one of our most productive scholars in the University. I have great respect for Matt Bruccoli.

You probably have seen in the paper and I heard on the radio this morning we have a faculty member in our Department of Art, Phillip Dunn who won the National Education Association Art Teacher of the Year for using cutting edge software that the public school teachers use in their art classes. Is Dr. Dunn is here by any chance? That’s a great award. Bob (Lyon), please pass that on to him. It’s wonderful.

A number of faculty who have received teaching development grants, I always like to recognize those individuals:

Greg Carbone – Geography

Molly M. Gribb – Civil Engineering

D. Eric Holt – Spanish, Italian and Portuguese

Keith Kenney – Journalism

Robert Lyon – Art

Jed Lyons – Mechanical Engineering

Matthew Miller – Mathematics

David Wethey – Biology

Charles Pierce – Civil Engineering

William Richey – English

John Safko – Physics and Astronomy

Ruth Saunders – Public Health

Virginia Scotchie - Art

Ann Swafford – Retailing

Irma J. VanScoy – Education

Congratulations to those individuals.

With respect to tenure and promotion, I would just like to second what the President said – I am actually not keeping the bad files back. As we get the files from UCTP we send them on to the President and the files have been excellent this year. I am very proud with how they look and the quality of the people. At the same time we in the Provost’s Office have been taking notes on ways that we think the files can be improved for the information for all people involved at looking at these files and we are planning a one-day workshop in August for all deans and all department chairs to talk about tenure and promotion, the third year review, and post-tenure review. I would just like to make one comment about post-tenure review. I would like to thank all the departments that have worked very hard on their post-tenure review criteria. We have gone through a large number of them. In general we send those back with very minor suggestions for corrections and those have been quickly made. We are well on our way to having a full set of post-tenure review criteria for every unit on campus.

Margit Resch at the Faculty Steering meeting brought up a question and I wanted to pass this along to you and you can pass it along to your departments. She had the question concerning someone who has been evaluated through a promotion and/or tenure review process within the past six years and they are one of the elder faculty in terms of being tenured. Should they be considered in the first round or when would they be considered? I think that the regulations spell out fairly clearly that if a person has successfully been reviewed for tenure and/or promotion within the six year period than their review is postponed until after six years. The expert is Caroline Strobel. Caroline, is that correct?

PROFESSOR CAROLINE STROBEL – BADM – Yes.

PROVOST ODOM – Are there any questions that you have about that or I will just take questions at the end. One of the questions we got last time had to do with the facilities – the deplorable facilities – some of the restrooms, the hallways, etc. and I would like to take this opportunity to introduce to you a new position that has been developed – a person in a new position in Facilities Management, Jerome Provence. If you would stand up. Jerome is our troubleshooter. He is more than happy to receive calls from you and if there are problems in various areas Jerome assures me he will visit those areas, he will see what the problems are and do what he can to have them taken care of. Do you have any questions for Jerome?

UNIDENTIFIED SENATOR – Do you have an email address?

MR. PROVENCE – I am on GroupWise if that is any help. I am in the GroupWise directory. JCP@fp1.fmc.sc.edu

PROVOST ODOM -Jerome, what is your phone number?

MR. PROVENCE – 6793.

PROVOST ODOM – 777- 6793. I think you are going to become a very popular person.

MR. PROVENCE – I look forward to it.

PROVOST ODOM – Finally I simply want to make a statement. There has been some concern and I understand the concern about a name change of a college that occurred at the Board of Trustees meeting last week. The College of Engineering is now the College of Engineering and Information Technology. This change has to do with an increase in the number of degree programs that the College of Engineering will have if we are able to get the proper funding. I wrote a letter to Dean Craig Rogers telling him that the mandate that the name change to the college is that this implies an expansion of the college’s mission along a narrow interpretation of information technology rather than viewing the term in a very broad sense specifically "your efforts in the area of information technology should be confined strictly to direct engineering applications to information technology in research, curriculum, and continuing education." At the same time I have told Craig that I would form a committee of concerned deans and probably faculty. We all know that information technology is spread throughout this campus – in every college and department and information technology is very important to every single one of us and that is why it is one of the things that we will be examining very carefully in our SACS reaccreditation is information technology in teaching and in learning. The committee I have asked to do the possible – the committee would simply look at the disciplines that include information technology in the broadest sense to explore how the disciplines’ boundaries match and where joint curricula and research opportunities might exist. I have asked any dean who would be interested to be on that committee to join and I will talk to some other people as well. At the same time we are going to have a dean’s retreat where we will discuss information technology as it applies to the entire campus because certainly we recognize that it does. With that I will be happy to take questions.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Any questions? Any comments? Hearing none, thank you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IV. Reports of Committees.

 

A. Faculty Senate Steering Committee, Professor Sarah Wise:

PROFESSOR WISE – I would like to present the Faculty Senate Steering Committee report of nominees to elected committees. Additional nominations can be made at this time as well as at the end of the meeting.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Are there any nominations for any of the committees listed on page 23? Any nominations at this time? Nominations will remain open until the end of the meeting, and I will make a further call for nominations at that time.

PROFESSOR WISE – I would also like to present from the Faculty Steering Committee, Attachment 2, page 25.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – This is not in order to vote on today. The by-laws require that amendments sit on the table for one meeting – it needs to be introduced in one meeting for notice, and this will be voted on in the April meeting. At this point I will entertain any amendments. Amendments will remain open. You can submit them in writing to the Faculty Senate Office. Amendments will remain open until the April meeting.

 

B. Grade Change Committee, Professor Ernest Wiggins, Chair:

PROFESSOR WIGGINS – The Grade Change Committee’s report is to be found on pages 26 – 34 of the agenda. The committee moves its approval.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – You heard the motion. A committee motion does not require a second. Are there any comments or questions? Amendments? Hearing none I’ll put the question. All in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. So ordered. It passes.

 

 

C. Curricula and Courses Committee, Professor William Jacoby:

PROFESSOR JACOBY – The report of the Curricula and Courses Committee begins on page 35 in the materials in front of you. To keep things moving I thought I would move these in groups which are hopefully fairly obvious on the listing there. Point I. the Darla Moore School of Business – the department of management science, several changes in prerequisites and descriptions. I would move those be adopted.

CHAIRMAN – You heard the motion. Any amendments or comments? Hearing none I’ll put the question. All those in favor signify by saying –excuse me

UNIDENITFIED SENATOR – There is a typo in the description BADM 390, the "From" part, CSCJ 205 should be CSCI 205. It is a small thing but let’s fix it.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Well since it is going to be changed the error will not appear except in the minutes. We will fix it in the minutes. Is that all right? With that change all those in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. So ordered. [passed]

 

PROFESSOR JACOBY – Point II. A. the African American Studies Program is proposing a new course AFRO 308 which will also be crosslisted with WOST 308. I would move that this be adopted.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Well, you have heard the motion. Are there any amendments? Questions? Hearing none. All in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Passes.

PROFESSOR JACOBY – Point II.B., Department of Art, Division of Media Arts is proposing a change in title for the undergraduate degree from Bachelor of Media Arts

to Bachelor of Arts in Media Arts.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – You have heard the motion. Any questions or amendments?

All those in favor signify by saying aye. All opposed. Passes.

PROFESSOR JACOBY - Point II.C., Comparative Literature Program. There are two items under there which involve change in course designators from Comparative Literature to Classics. That is CPLT 401 to CLAS 401 and CPLT 469 to CLAS 469.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – You have heard the motion. All those in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Passes.

PROFESSOR JACOBY – Point II, D., Department of Germanic, Slavic and Oriental Languages from GERM 398 a,e,g,h SELECTED TOPICS to GERM 398 SELECTED TOPICS. I move that that be adopted.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – All those in favor signify by saying aye. All opposed. Passes.

PROFESSOR JACOBY – Point E., Department of Government and International Studies, proposing a new course GINT 357 FILM, POLITICS, AND SOCIAL CHANGE. I would move that.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – You heard the motion. All those in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Passes.

PROFESSOR JACOBY – Point F., Department of Sociology is proposing a new course,

SOCY 304 RACE, CLASS, GENDER, AND SEXUALITY to be crosslisted with WOST

304. I move that.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - You hear the motion. All in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Passes.

PROFESSOR JACOBY – Point G. is a fairly long one. I would like to move them together unless there is some great objection to it. There is one correction I need to point out to everyone in here – a minor one. On page 40, this is in the Women’s Studies Program, there are a number of new courses and changes in credit hours etc. But beginning on page 39 is a new curriculum, Women’ Studies Bachelor of Arts Degree

Requirements and all the requirements are listed there. Page 40, about halfway down the page inadvertently some unnecessary materials are included in there. After Point 4.,

which says "Electives, see "College of Liberal Arts" (13-28 hours) and under there there are the Pre-Major Requirements, under there it says General Major: Nine courses and you will find a check list for majors’ advisors to fill out and then under that "Cognate OR Minor:" checklist as well. We would like to remove those because they were inadvertently included. This is simply not needed for this. But apart from that I would like to move as a group all of the Women’s Studies proposed changes.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - All the Women’s Studies changes. Any amendments? I understand that they were taking the "tax worksheet" out. Is that right?

PROFESSOR JACOBY - Yes.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – All those in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. It passes.

PROFESSOR JACOBY - Point III., College of Library and Information Sciences proposing a new course, CLIS 220 USING INFORMATION RESOURCES. I move that.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – College of Library and Information Sciences. All in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Passed.

PROFESSOR JACBOY – Point IV., School of Public Health, Department of Exercise Science is requesting a change in prerequisites for EXSC 351 adding the prerequisite

EXSC 223. I move that be adopted.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - You have heard the motion. All in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Passes.

PROFESSOR JACOBY – Point V., School of Music. This looks like a long one but again I don’t think there is any problem adopting this as a group. At the last Faculty Senate meeting, the Senate adopted a new curriculum for the School of Music. What we inadvertently did, or didn’t do, we didn’t move the adoption of each of the courses – there are two new courses in this curriculum. What you see here under V. is simply the same thing that we adopted last time. It is here and we are asking for approval of the specific courses that were involved in that. So I would like to move Point V as a group.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – I understand that this is the details of what we passed at the last meeting. Any questions about that? Comments? Amendments? All those in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Passes.

 

PROFESSOR JACOBY – We are getting close to the end. Point VI., this is for the

Senate’s information only. The Women’s Studies Program is proposing an experimental course WOST 431X WOMEN’S STUDIES WORKSHOP. I don’t move that, do I?

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – No. You have the experimental course and the Maymester Courses.

PROFESSOR JACOBY – Yes.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Are there any questions or motions for disapproval? Alright, hearing none. Thank you very much. The next item of business is I believe the Committee on Admissions..

D. Committee on Admissions, Professor Stephen McNeill, Chair:

PROFESSOR McNEILL: On your agenda, pages 45 and 46, the Admissions Committee has their recommendations for increasing the number of high school units required for entrance into the University as a freshman. This is in response to the raising of the number of credits required for high school graduation in the state. If this is passed, we would propose that we start with the 2001 high school graduating class. I have set it up so that the current wording is on the left and the proposed wording is on the right. You see on no. 3, we are proposing to increase the number of laboratory science units from 2 to 3 and the number of electives for no. 6 is from 1 to 4. This would change the total units required from 16 to 20. There are other changes in there but most of those are for recommendations. They really don’t contain the substance. This is our recommendation.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – You’ve heard the motion. Are there any questions or amendments? Hearing none, I’ll state the question. All those in favor signify by saying aye? Opposed. Passes. Thank you very much.

E. Faculty Advisory Committee, Professor Margit Resch, Chair:

PROFESSOR RESCH – That I don’t have a report again should not make you think that we are not working hard. We will present to the General Faculty Meeting on April 29th our revisions, and some of them are rather substantive, of the committees that exist – just the faculty committees. We will further propose editorial changes to the Faculty Handbook. We have compiled a long list of substantive changes to the Faculty Handbook which we will work on next year. I would like to take this opportunity, if I may Mr. Chairman, to correct or to make known that our department has undergone a name change. It is no longer the Department of Germanic, Slavic and Oriental Languages and Literatures but of East Asian Languages and Literatures and I am making reference to the Curricula and Courses Committee which still uses our old name.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – These Faculty Manual changes that we were going to be proposing at the meeting on April 29th , not the 24th , are really stylistic changes. But in the course of doing these we found these 40 substantive changes which will then be worked on and presented the next academic year. The committee changes however will be somewhat substantive in nature so you need to stay alert to the Faculty Meeting agenda, at least look over it very carefully.

F. Faculty Welfare Committee, Professor Caroline Eastman, Chair:

PROFESSOR EASTMAN – First of all I would like to announce a change in the date of our next meeting, which is listed on the back of the agenda as March 16th. This has been changed to a week later, on March 23rd.

The Committee has sent a letter containing some recommendations on salary to the Provost. There were a number of complaints that we received last year, some formal written complaints and a number of informal complaints. One thing we would like to see done and we would encourage unit chairs to do is to strongly consider the use of giving dollar amounts of raises rather than percentage amounts of raises because doing so is less likely to exacerbate any existing salary inequities. Of course, we hope and encourage that salary inequities continue to be addressed.

I would like to elaborate on a comment that I believe that President Palms made

that it appears that there will be a 4% raise. I occasionally talk to people who read in the newspaper about certain across the board raises for state employees. This means classified employees--this does not mean us. The University has more flexibility in terms of the raises that faculty get and, as President Palms said, this can range between 0 and 8%. They will not take away money. No negative raises – right?

We are also sending a letter to the Provost’s Office recommending the establishment of a program of teaching enhancement grants for non-tenure track faculty. There are over 200 of these people contributing in very important ways to the educational mission of the university on this campus alone. They are not now eligible for current instructional grants, and we think this program will encourage instructional innovation and reward their efforts. We hope to see that adopted.

We have been engaged in continuing discussions about child care and plan to set up a subcommittee of the Welfare Committee to deal with child care issues. This will involve not only Welfare Committee members but others who are interested in contributing. If you have suggestions or would like to volunteer please let me know. Are there any questions? Thank you.

 

 

 

G. Scholastic Standards and Petitions Committee, Professor James Day, Chair:

No report.

H. Other Committees.

No report.

 

 

V. Report of the Secretary.

No report.

 

 

VI. Unfinished Business.

None.

 

 

VII. New Business.

None.

 

 

VIII. Remarks for Good of the Order.

UNIDENTIFIED SENATOR - Could I simply get Jerome’s last name spelled so I can pass it on to my colleagues?

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Jerome.

MR. JEROME PROVENCE - Of course, it is Provence.

 

 

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Anything else for the Good of the Order?

PROFESSOR RICHARD CONANT – MUSIC - Can somebody tell me what the progress is of the Faculty Club Board’s recommendation that nominees have to have been members for 3 years and to have and maintain an active account?

PROFESSOR MARGIT RESCH – When the Advisory Committee looked at the committee structure we have looked at the Board of Governors and have made some editorial changes but not tremendously substantive changes. Does that answer your question?

PROFESSOR CONANT – I guess so. May I assume that motion will be on the April 29th agenda?

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Oh, yes.

PROFESSOR RICHARD HUDSON – MATH – I wonder if someone could give a report on the parking situation. I have an H sticker so I am supposed to be able to park in any faculty parking lot.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – You can’t find one?

PROFESSOR HUDSON – I have parked in Five Points and Gervais and then later in the day go get my car and move it back closer. It has really gotten bad around LeConte – I understand that the one parking lot that is available may also be wiped out.

PROFESSOR EASTMAN – At this point I have nothing to add to the discussion at the last meeting on parking. There have been no changes that I am aware of in the parking

situation. Obviously, it’s a difficult situation because we are trying to fit more cars on campus than there are parking spaces. Everyone recognizes that. The Parking Office is working on changes to priorities, changes to the parking system. The Parking Committee is working with them and I don’t know if there is a representative of that committee here.

PROFESSOR HUDSON – I am sure someone has thought of this. People who park in spaces that they are not entitled to should be given larger fines.

PROFESSOR EASTMAN – Are these people without stickers or people who have stickers but are in the wrong lots or people who don’t have handicapped stickers who are in handicapped spaces?

PROFESSOR HUDSON – All of the above, but they usually avoid handicapped spaces.

PROFESSOR EASTMAN – Not in education lot.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – I think the short answer to this is, "It is not going to get any better." It’s probably going to get worse before it gets better. Now we have the worry of one car taking up two parking spaces with this new SUV that Ford has put out. So look for that. Look for conflict in the parking over whether or not you can open your door and get out of your car once you have found a parking space. You might just find yourself

trapped.

PROFESSOR EASTMAN – Perhaps we need new rules to cover buses, tanks, trucks as well as motorcycles and cars.

PROFESSOR ROY SCHWARTZMAN – THEATRE, SPEECH AND DANCE – I would like to announce that Eddie Fogler and Lou Holtz can relax. We have won an SEC Championship this year but it is in intercollegiate debate. This past weekend we hosted the SEC Championship tournament. The University of South Carolina won first and second place taking first place speaker, second place speaker, fifth place speaker, and beating teams from universities such as Vanderbilt, University of Georgia and a large research institution west of us in the state. The best part about it is that of the four debaters who were involved in that particular division and were victorious, three are freshmen and one is a sophomore. So we have youth on our side.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Great, great. (Applause) Any other remarks for the Good of the Order? Are there any nominations for faculty committees? Hearing none I declare nominations closed. Those on the list elected by acclamation.

 

IX. Announcements.

PROFESSOR ROBERT WILCOX – There is a lecture in this auditorium about 5:30 that you may well be interested in. The speaker was the lawyer for Martin Luther King, Jr. and has been very active in the civil rights involvement as the lawyer for a number of years. I am not sure what the topic is. But you are certainly welcome to stay and take part in that.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – His most recent enterprise was within the class action litigation against the United States Department of Agriculture on racially discriminatory loan practices against African-American farmers over the years. I don’t have any information on the specifics of it but I wouldn’t be surprised if he wouldn’t be touching on aspects of that litigation. Are there any other announcements? Hearing none. The meeting is adjourned.

Meeting adjourned at 4:00 p.m.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

This page updated 26 March 1999 by the Office of the Faculty Senate,
and copyright 1999, The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina.
URL http://www.sc.edu/faculty/senate/99/minutes/0303.minutes.html