A Virtual Private Network (VPN) builds a data "tunnel" from a public network (e.g. hotel, airport, or coffee shop) to a private network (e.g. USC’s network). When connected to the university’s VPN, you can securely access university resources when you are off campus. The data transmitted through a VPN is encrypted to provide security and protection from unauthorized access or data "snooping.”
- Secure access to university resources from off campus
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems
- Multifactor Authentication
- Must be student, faculty, or staff
- Must know your Network Username and password
- Must know your VIP ID and password
- Must enroll in Multifactor Authentication
- Must have the VPN client installed on your computer
- Enroll in Multifactor Authentication.
- Once enrolled in Multifactor Authentication, you will need to download the VPN by going to my.sc.edu.
- Click on the Faculty/Staff tab.
- Choose Purchase computer software.
- Log in with your VIP ID and password.
- Choose Software for Work (university computers) or Software for Home (personal computers), select Security, choose Cisco AnyConnect VPN, and click Cisco AnyConnect VPN.
- Follow the prompts to download the software and installation instructions.
- Network Guidelines for Responsible Computing
- IT 1.06 Acceptable Use of Information Technology
- IT 3.00 Information Technology
- No charge