The Board of Trustees establishes the school of law and the school of medicine for the newly reopened University of South Carolina. The law school opened with one faculty member and four students, while the medical school opened with three faculty members and eight students. Both schools were closed by 1878. The school of law reopened in 1884 and has operated continuously since. The medical school wasn't revived until 1974.