FACULTY SENATE MEETING

April 5, 2000

I. Call to Order

CHAIR CAROLINE STROBEL - I would like to call the meeting to order. (The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m.)

II. Correction and Approval of Minutes

CHAIR STROBEL - You have received a copy of the minutes from the last meeting. Are there any additions or corrections? If not, the minutes stand approved as printed.

III. Reports of Officers

CHAIR STROBEL - It is my pleasure to call on the Honorable William C. Hubbard, Chairman of the Board of Trustees.

HONORABLE WILLIAM C. HUBBARD -

Thank you Dr. Strobel. It is great to be back before the Faculty Senate. I think this is my 3rd occasion since Iíve had the privilege of serving as Chair of your Board of Trustees. I come at a time when the Board of Trustees and I could not be prouder of the work of the faculty of this University. The quality of teaching has never been higher and the excellence in research and scholarship is beyond any expectations weíve had. We are really proud of your accomplishments. The Board is well aware that 152 books were published by this faculty in 1998. There were 1,164 scholarly journal articles produced by this faculty, and you imported $97 million in research funds for this University to enhance your disciplines and to promote the progress of the State of South Carolina. We are also very conscious of the fact that your departmental units have raised the standards for tenure and promotion to seek excellence in every level of performance. That is something that the Board has watched carefully and with great appreciation as youíve undertaken that responsibility to promote the University in that fashion.

I want to thank you also for helping to recruit students to this University. We are at a time when we are engaged in a serious effort to upgrade the quality of students on this campus. That will take a significant and it does take a significant amount of effort to convince students in this State and out-of-state that this is the place that they should come for their education. I know that many of you have been actively involved in that effort. You have contacted students directly. Youíve answered the call of the Admissions Office when a student had particular inquiries about one of your disciplines. And, I can tell you that the faculty involvement in recruiting is the most important part of that process because students ultimately choose, I think, a university not because of the university as a whole but because of a specific area of interest, a particular major that they are interested in. That is when you play such a vital part in that recruitment effort. You all know that when good students leave the state there is what we call a brain drain and we have to stop that. We cannot afford to lose any brain power from this State. We frankly need every one of our good students to stay in this State and help us as much as they can. We need not to have a brain drain; we need to have a brain gain. The McNair Scholars Program is a tangible example of how effective we can be in recruiting outstanding students from out-of-state. We certainly do not want to lose focus of our mission to be primarily the university for the students of South Carolina, but we also want to enrich our student body with outstanding students from other parts of the country - not only for what they do for the University itself but because of their effect on students in this State who decided to stay here at the University of South Carolina. So it is very important that we have both of these efforts at work at the same time to promote the quality of the student body.

I would like to let you know that the Board of Trustees is actively involved in this effort to recruit students. We host dinners in our judicial circuits for all of the scholarship recipients in each judicial circuit in the State. Weíve found that to be very effective. Iíve had the privilege of attending both the Carolina Scholar Finalists Dinner and the McNair Scholars Finalists Dinner and both of those have been impressive affairs which, I think, pay great dividends for the University.

Your past efforts have paid off substantially. We are all proud, as I know you are with the success of Caroline Parler and the recognition that she has brought to the University by being awarded a Rhodes Scholarship. She and Christopher Dorsel were also USA Today Academic All Americans. She was the First Team All American. Christopher Dorsel was a Third Team All American. There were only 60 in the country and two of those All Americans were from this institution so we are very proud of that accomplishment. I noticed in the paper last week that our 5th Rotary International Scholar recipient was awarded that prestigious fellowship. That is five Rotary Internationals in one year which, I think, is probably a record for the institution.

Why is all this important? You all know that we are in a revolution in the world that we live in. The information age that we are in is driven by one very fundamental thing - the human mind. No longer will societies flourish if they depend on manufacturing and manual labor jobs. Prosperity and quality of life will be where people are able to capitalize and support the development of intellectual capital. So it is very important that this University be the leader for this State. Not just a leader but be the leader in promoting intellectual capital to make sure that South Carolina as a state is able to participate in the new economy of the 21st century.

A couple of statistics, I think, will show you why we need to put more effort on this and why we need more public funding for research efforts in South Carolina. We need to do that to attract the venture capital dollars that are flowing in from all over the world to those parts of this country where centers of technology and innovation are located - where venture capitalists believe their dollars will be rewarded with progress in the development of new ideas and new technology.

Last year in the State of Virginia there were $39 of venture capital per capita that was funneled into the State of Virginia. In 1999 South Carolina received $4.04 of venture capital dollars per capita. I think that is a reflection of the efforts that have been undertaken in Northern Virginia and the progress that they have made up there. North Carolina had $26 per capita of investment of venture capital. I think that is reflection of the research triangle. In the State of California, which you all know is really the center of innovation for technology and biotechnology, the governor there has proposed $300 million for new science technology centers at three of that stateís universities. It is critical for our progress as a State that we somehow convince the public that what we do is worthwhile and that we deserve their support. Not just for ourselves but to allow South Carolina to participate in the progress of the 21st century.

I have never seen more cooperation among the faculty, students, and the Board of Trustees. I think we all know where we are trying to go. I think we are all seeking excellence and I think we are well on our way to making some significant progress.

The Board is involved actively in solicitation of funds both publicly and privately. You have heard of the success of the capital campaign to date. We currently have a goal for private giving in this capital campaign of $300 million. We will exceed that goal. When we started the campaign, many people said "You shouldnít even start it. You can never raise $200 million in South Carolina." But we will exceed $300 million, and you will be pleased to know that last year the Universityís endowment grew on a percentage basis more than any other college or university endowment in the country. So we are doing some things well.

Last week I had an opportunity to attend the second annual conference of Southeastern Conference Board Chairs. It was a very enlightening event. It was held in New Orleans, and one of the principal speakers was Michael Crow, who is the Executive Vice-President for Research at Columbia University in New York City. I had some private conversations with him as well as enjoyed his public statements. He informed me that there will be a flood of money available for research over the next five years, coming out of the National Institute of Health, the National Science Foundation, and the National Endowment for the Humanities. He also believes that those faculties where the members of the faculty can be nimble and can respond to these research opportunities quickly and who can put together working groups, interdisciplinary working groups, will have the best opportunity to participate in the receipt of these grants. So I encourage you to think beyond your disciplines. Think about working together in multi-disciplinary teams. And, also think about collaborating with your cohorts on the faculties at Clemson and at USC to see if we can import some of this money into South Carolina for our research. We can participate in the progress. We can participate in the receipt of these grants. And, we can be an AAU institution. There is no question about it.

I had breakfast with President Casteen of the University of Virginia when he was here about three weeks ago as one of his preliminary steps toward chairing the SACS reaccreditation effort for the University. He will be the chair of that particular effort and the focus will be technology. He informed me that there are five universities in the south that have a chance to be in the AAU that are not already in the AAU and this University is one of those five. He thinks that if we can continue to do the things that we are doing and accelerate our pace, raise the profile of the quality of our student body, and increase our funding for outside research that we have a real shot at it. He said there only five in the south that have a shot at it, and he put us in the group. So this is not the time to be discouraged. This is the time to be optimistic. It is the time to redouble our efforts, all of us - trustees, faculty, students, and administration - to try to get this University to attain its rightful place in the hierarchy of American colleges and Universities.

We pledge as a Board of Trustees to provide you with the necessary support to help accomplish these goals for you and for the institution. As I said we want to make the University the leader for progress in South Carolina in Science, Education, the Arts, the Humanities, Technology, and Health. We must set the tone for the entire State of South Carolina. We have to be the leader. And, in that regard I think we all can help on something that we all need to work to try accomplish as quickly as possible and that is the removal of the confederate flag from the dome of the State House. You all can make a difference. The Board has unanimously passed a resolution urging the General Assembly to take the flag down. That flag is hurting this University, it is hurting our reputation, and it hurts our recruitment efforts for faculty and students. But you can make a difference today if you go back to your office, up the telephone, and call your senator and your representative and tell them you want the flag down. If you do that we have a 100 people whose calls will go into the State House this afternoon. That is a flood of communication to those offices and it will make a difference. Someone told me that five phone calls on any particular issue is a lot. So your silence is something that we cannot have at this particular juncture. We need you to take the time just to make two telephone calls, and it will make a difference. We need to all do that for the good of this University and to help us put that issue behind us so we can move on to the other priorities that I have mentioned this afternoon.

Again it is a great pleasure and privilege for me to be here before you. I will be happy to take as much time as you want to answer any questions you have. This is your shot. I canít believe there are no questions. Iím not being provocative am I? Anybody? Okay. Thank you.

CHAIR STROBEL - You will be happy to know that the Faculty Senate has already passed a resolution calling for the removal of the flag from the State House and we have sent it to the Legislature.

CHAIR HUBBARD - But Iíve been told that phone calls to the legislature are more important than letters. So this afternoon is a critical time and tomorrow.

CHAIR STROBEL - Yes, I do urge you to go ahead and try and take a few minutes to make those phone calls. I think it is very effective for you individually to be doing these things. We can do it as a body but I think the individual effort of calling these people will make a difference. No I donít have the phone numbers.

PROFESSOR CONANT - You can find the phone numbers in the blue government section of the phone book.

CHAIR STROBEL - In which section Richard?

PROFESSOR CONANT - In the blue government section.

CHAIR STROBEL - So if you would turn to that section in your phone books you could find the numbers.

The President is absent today but I would like to call on the Provost to make his report.

PROVOST JEROME ODOM -

Thank you very much Caroline. President Palmsí send his regards. He is chairing a SACS reaccreditation visit at Southern Methodist University right now. And, he was very sorry that he couldnít be here. When I talked to him he said that the main point that he would make is that we are continuing to interact with the Legislature. What we had asked for from the House came out of House Ways and Means pretty much intact. President Palms and I made a presentation recently to the Senate Finance Committee. We talked about the same things. We talked about faculty salaries and how important that was to us. We talked about capital projects as well as some programmatic monies. So we are very hopeful that what comes out of the Senate Finance Committee will be what we asked for. And, if it is in both budgets, then hopefully, we have a good chance for it to come out of any conference committee that they have at the very end.

Last week all of the deans had the opportunity to present their strategic plans to the Office of the Provost. All of those strategic plans are listed on the Web. So if you are interested in seeing a strategic plan for any college it is available to you. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Faculty Budget Committee, chaired by Jim Edwards in the Darla Moore School of Business. The Faculty Budget Committee was represented at every strategic plan presentation that was made and took an active part in the discussion. So the Faculty Senate and the faculty were well represented in the presentations that were made.

Finally, I would just tell you that Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday of this week I hosted a group of Southeastern Provosts. Primarily provosts from the Southeastern Conference and the Atlantic Coast Conference. The format of that meeting is to get together informally on Sunday and just begin some discussions. Then on Monday to show them various parts of the University that we would like for them to see and then on Tuesday to finish up our discussions of common concerns. The Monday part of their visit went very, very well. They heard from the Honors College, the Office of Fellowship and Summer Programs, and the Office of Pre-Professional Advising. They visited our remote storage facility having to do with the Library. They visited Special Collections in the Library and heard from Matt Bruccoli and Patrick Scott. They attended a tea in Preston Residential College. They also visited the Engineering School and heard from Asif Khan and some of the work that is going on there in gallium nitride and micro electronics. One provost said to me, "I know it is a tradition for you every time we have this meeting for the school to show off its gems, but the University of South Carolina has quite a jewel box." That was a real tribute, I think, to this University and what we are doing here. That is really all I have. Iíll be happy to answer any questions that I can.

PROFESSOR RICHARD CONANT (MUSC) - Any progress in dean searches?

PROVOST ODOM - Good point. That is why I brought this piece of paper up here, Richard. Let me just give you a run down of where we are right now in our searches. With the Chief Information Officer, the search committee has recommended three candidates to President Palms and to me. We are currently setting up interviews for those three people to interview. That is a very important position on this campus and we are trying to set up two-day interviews for all of those folks. I would urge you to be involved in that. We certainly will have a time for a presentation and a General Faculty meeting with those individuals. I have to tell you that the faculty meetings that we had for the Vice-Provost for Research candidates, when they were here, where not very well attended. So I would urge you to try to attend these meetings if you can. As far as the Vice-Provost for Research, we have an offer pending with an individual and I have every reason to believe that we will be successful in attracting our first choice. With the Darla Moore School of Business dean search, we have invited three candidates to interview based on the search committee recommendations. One of those was here last week and we still have two people to interview. The College of Education dean search, we have invited two candidates to campus. One has already been here and one arrives tonight. Engineering and Information Technology deanís search, the search committee will meet with President Palms and me next week to make their final recommendations on candidates to be interviewed. School of Music deanís search, we have an offer pending and again I have every reason to believe that we will be successful with our first choice. Journalism and Mass Communications deanís search did not get underway, as you know, until this semester but that committee has been working hard. It is my understanding that we have a number of applicants and the committee is currently evaluating those applicants. Questions?

PROFESSOR ELDON WEDLOCK (LAW) - A little note in the paper today about John Finan. Can you shed any light on that?

PROVOST ODOM - I really canít. I know that he has been a candidate for another job and I would think that he would be a very strong candidate for that job.

PROFESSOR CONANT - Pat Moody?

Oh, Iím sorry. We have named a dean since the last meeting. Dr. Patricia Moody is the new Dean of Hospitality, Retailing, and Sport Management.

Any other questions? Thank you.

  1. Report of Committees
    1. Faculty Senate Steering Committee, Professor Sarah Wise, Secretary:
    2. PROFESSOR WISE - For the Committee on Curricula and Courses Richard Zingmark from Biological Sciences and Michael Hodgson from Geography were elected to fill the two vacancies.

      CHAIR STROBEL - They will be passing around the list for you sign of your attendance. Be sure and sign it. I might remind people that only those individuals who are elected Senators should be sitting in these two sections. If you are not an elected Senator, you should be in one of the other sections - either at the side or in the back.

       

       

    3. Committee on Curricula and Courses, Professor William Jacoby, Chair:
    4. PROFESSOR JACOBY - I have some material pertaining to one of our items that I would like to pass out to the Senate before we get started here.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Can you all hear him with this set up?

      PROFESSOR JACOBY - While this is coming around its going to be a few minutes before I get to that item anyway so Iíll go ahead and get started right now. Our first item is from the Darla Moore School of Business, it is a change in requirements that will appear in the University Bulletin. There are progression requirements and degree requirements as well. I would like to move all those together please.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Is there a second? Any discussion? All in favor? Opposed? The ayes have it.

      PROFESSOR JACOBY - The second item here and the material coming around does pertain to this - is a series of changes in the Electrical Engineering curricula. You will find these on pages 25 through 27 in the agenda here. Beginning at the top of page 25 there is a designator change and then designator and prerequisite changes for certain courses. Moving onto page 26 there are designator, prerequisite and title changes followed by designator, prerequisite, title, and description changes. On page 27 some courses to be dropped and some new Electrical Engineering courses to be added. The one page hand out that is coming around consists of the bulletin descriptions that go with those new Electrical Engineering courses. I know that probably not everybody has the handout yet but I would like to go ahead and move that entire set of items as a group.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Is there any discussion on this item? Have you all had a chance to see the additional handout? Are you ready to vote? All in favor? Opposed? The ayes have it.

      PROFESSOR JACOBY - The next item on page 28 comes from the College of Education. It is a change in designator for two courses from EDEL to EDTE. I will go ahead and move both of those.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Is there any discussion on this matter? All in favor? Opposed? The ayes have it.

      PROFESSOR JACOBY - Section IV there are two different items in there from the School Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism. There is a new course HRTA 376 and then there is a change in the curriculum in the University Bulletin on pages 28 going over to 29. I would like to move both of those together.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Is there any discussion on this proposal? All in favor? Opposed? The ayes have it.

      PROFESSOR JACOBY - Next we are going to do College of Liberal Arts. The first item from the Department of Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. They are proposing a new course SPAN 300, a change in title prerequisites and description for SPAN 309 and 310, and a change in the curriculum in University Bulletin over on page 31. I would like to move those as a group as well.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Is there any discussion on these proposals? All in favor? Opposed. The ayes have it.

      PROFESSOR JACOBY - Next we from the Department of Theatre, Speech and Dance they are proposing two new courses 201 and 289. Then there is also a change in title and description for THSP 253. I will move all three together.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Is there any discussion on this proposal? All in favor? Opposed? The ayes have it.

      PROFESSOR JACOBY - In section VI the School of Music there is a change in curriculum in the University Bulletin on pages 32 to 33. Iíll move that.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Any discussion of this proposal? All in favor? Opposed. The ayes have it.

      PROFESSOR JACOBY - Next from the College of Science and Mathematics the Marine Science Program is proposing two new courses: MSCI J120 and J120L. I would like to move both of those together.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Any discussion of this proposal?

      PROFESSOR CAROLINE EASTMAN (CSCE) - Is the lab also restricted to distance education only?

      PROFESSOR JACOBY - Yes.

      PROFESSOR EASTMAN - How is the lab taught through distance education?

      PROFESSOR JACOBY - It is my understanding that they would not take this until they come to the University. So it would only be distance education people taking it but they would not be taking it concurrently. Because as I understand it is going to be high school students taking J120 and theyíll get the lab once they get here. So that is why it wasnít specified there.

      CHAIR STROBEL - All in favor? Opposed? The ayes have it.

      PROFESSOR JACOBY - Next on page 34 continuing to page 37 from South Carolina Honors College this is a proposal for a new Minor in Inquiry. I move that as a group.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Is there any discussion of this proposal?

      PROFESSOR JAMES DAY (FREN) - On page 37 in the part that says Level III Courses, the third line starts out "If they elect to do so" and it continues "these courses could not count" should that in fact be "cannot count?" So that we might not think it means might not count.

      DEAN PETER SEDERBERG (South Carolina Honors College) - I would accept as an editorial change whichever would be the more imperative. Maybe "will not count" would be appropriate. In other words this is somewhat analogous to the program that we have for the joint graduate and undergraduate degrees where we -- actually I mean it is a reverse. It would be a little bit like in senior privilege where if you take a graduate course, unless you are in that joint program, it can only count for graduate credits it cannot count for undergraduate credits. Similarly if you took one of these advance research courses and you did not need it for your major, you could elect to count it toward your minor and that means it will not count.

      PROFESSOR DAY - I was in fact expecting either "can" or "will" here instead of could. So I am with you.

      DEAN SEDERBERG - I will accept that as an editorial change for the more imperative.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Are there any other questions? With that editorial change all in favor? Opposed? The ayes have it.

      PROFESSOR JACOBY - Section IX we have May Session courses which are for the Senateís information only. We have in the College of Liberal Arts two courses from Anthropology, ANTH 322M and 591M. On page 38 in the Department of Religious Studies, RELG 491M. Then Theatre, Speech and Dance 574M. Then one typographical change under the College of Journalism and Mass Communications it is listed on your agenda as JOUR 463M in fact that should be 563M there. Then finally the School of Music 310M. Thank you.

    5. Faculty Advisory Committee, Professor Henry Price, Chair:
    6. PROFESSOR PRICE - No report at the moment.

    7. Faculty Welfare Committee, Professor Caroline Eastman, Chair:
    8. PROFESSOR EASTMAN - No report at this time.

    9. Committee on Admissions, Professor Stephen McNeill, Chair:
    10. PROFESSOR MCNEILL - The Committee on Admissions has a proposal from the Darla Moore School of Business for you on pages 39 to 40. We would like to move that for your acceptance.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Is there any discussion of this proposal?

      PROFESSOR EASTMAN - I am not speaking in opposition to this proposal. However, I would like to encourage the committee to take a broader look at university wide requirements for transfer from one college to another. I work in undergraduate studies with many students who want to transfer from one college to another, sometimes from our program to business and sometimes vice versa. The differential standards across the university create problems for students, and I would like to see those reduced.

      CHAIR STROBEL - Is there any other discussion of this proposal? All in favor? Opposed. The ayes have it.

    11. Committee on Scholastic Standards and Petitions, Professor Wiebke Strehl, Chair:
    12. CHAIR STROBEL - There is no report from the committee.

    13. Other Committees:

CHAIR STROBEL - We have some reports. There is a report from the University Committee on Tenure and Promotions.

PROFESSOR JOHN SPURRIER (STAT and Chair of UCTP) - I just want to make you aware that we starting the tenure and promotions process for the next academic year already. This happens in two ways. You should have each gotten a ballot to elect next yearís members. Inadvertently the print shop put the mailing label on the ballot. We apologize for this. It is perfectly fine to tear that label off, cut it off, whatever you would want to do. I assure you I have no interest in knowing how you vote. It was hard enough for me to decide which of the ten to vote for myself.

The other thing that we are doing we are having our traditional workshops on Reading Day. They will be Gambrell 151. There is a meeting a 10 a.m. for Unit Tenure and Promotion Chairs and another meeting at 11:15 a.m. on Reading Day, April 27 for all individuals who might be a candidate for tenure or promotion next year. We encourage you to come.

CHAIR STROBEL - Thank you. Are there other committee reports?

PROFESSOR CONANT - The Faculty Club at McCutchen House; if you didnít know, we did hire a new manager, Travis Branaman from the Premier Country Club in Arkansas, the Chenal Country Club. He has been on board about 2 months. We think Travis is very good and is already doing a great job. We have reinstituted dinners on Thursday and Friday nights. There was a lot of umbrage at the cancellation of dinners on all nights. You can get anything from a $4.95 hamburger to a $6 pizza to a $19 steak. So you can pop upstairs and have a little bite to eat and not blow $200. That is kind of what we had in mind when we first started the place - you didnít have to use your life savings to have your dinner up there. You can still go up and have a nice fancy meal and dress up if you like or go up fairly casual. No shorts or that sort of thing. There are sandwiches, baked trout, all sorts of good items. Finally, on April 27, the same day as our General Faculty Meeting and Faculty Senate Meeting (where some tenure and promotions things will be discussed) is our annual meeting which is usually not that well attended. It will be in the main dining room at 5:00 p.m. but it will be followed by a free dinner and free beer and wine - kind of a cookout event to recognize our new manager and to show appreciation to those members that actually come over and use the place. But even you havenít been there lately and you are a member, please come anyway. The meeting at 5:00 p.m. and then fun and games and food and drink to follow. It should be a nice occasion. If it is good weather we hope to have the dinner in the garden after the meeting.

CHAIR STROBEL - Thank you Richard. Any other reports?

PROFESSOR SHIRLEY KUIPER (BADM) - With your next bill there will be a questionnaire also coming from the Faculty Club. This will be an attempt to update the whole billing system so that it will be much more efficient for your checkout when you eat and the bills ought to be accurate. So please respond to the questionnaire and encourage your colleagues to do so also. We are really trying to do everything to be much more efficient so that the whole club will be a more pleasant experience. Thank you.

CHAIR STROBEL - Thank you Shirley. Other reports?

V. Report of Secretary

SECRETARY WISE - No report.

VI. Unfinished Business

CHAIR STROBEL - I believe there is no unfinished business.

VII. New Business

CHAIR STROBEL - I asked Dan Barron to come today. He is playing a major role in the SACS reaccreditation process and he is going to speak to you for just a few minutes about a questionnaire that is going to be coming around.

PROFESSOR DAN BARRON (CLIS) - Thank you very much, I appreciate your time. Ask not what the SACS team can do for you ask what you can do for the SACS team. Keep that in mind. A year from today most everything will be over. At least the visit part and as Mr. Hubbard said President Casteen will chair the peer review for our SACS self study and that will be April 1, 2001. The team will have two documents to deal with. One is USC 2001 and that is our document that shows we are in compliance with the 480 some must statements that SACS requires us to demonstrate that we are in compliance with. The other document is USC 2006 and that document is the report of our self study of who we are, where we are, and where we want to go as far as information technology applications for learning and teaching, scholarship and research, and community service. The peer review team will be a traditional peer review team. The document USC 2001 will have been constructed primarily by my colleague and friend Peter Becker who is working with a relatively small group of people to pull together the data, statistics and information that is required to show our compliance. On the other side is USC 2006. We are working with as large a group of people as we possibly can. To involve as many faculty people as we can to come up with what we believe should be recommendations if we are to meet what the president says he wants us to meet. That is to be considered among the top five publicly funded institutions in the southeast as far as information technology applications for teaching, scholarship and service. We have sixteen task forces that are working each of which is co-chaired. We have tried to match up a traditional academic person with a professional school person, a liberal arts person with a science and math person. Weíve tried to get a good mix so weíd have lots of ideas generated. The task force chairs have coordinated their own development of their task forces. We have well over 200 people who are involved in the process to date. We have a writing and oversight team that will take the reports from these task forces and help craft those into the draft document that will be available in the fall of this year. We will work over the summer to get the draft ready for you. And, in the fall of this year we will have a series of community meetings around the campus. We will visit every department, every unit and get faculty input with a series of forums to say: Are these the recommendations that you believe we should put forward? A team of consultants from business and industry, higher education, it has been suggested that Chris DeeDee be the chair of that consulting group, will take a look at our document 2006 and say where do we think you ought to be if you really want to be a leader in use of information technology. It is a broad statement when we say information technology. It is not just computers so keep that in mind. We have a web site. We appreciate the hard work that Distance Education and Instructional Support the Aim Lab, they are maintaining our web site. I would like to thank Larry Wood and the people at Times for keeping the Itís Carolina in front of your face as much as possible and in front the communityís face as much as possible. And, if you have any questions, thoughts, ideas, concerns - everyone whether you are on a task force or not - we welcome your input. We want you to get in touch with us and say what you think. Weíve tried to put it off as long as we could but all the task force chairs and writing and oversight team believe that it is essential that we do give you a questionnaire. We are going to send a questionnaire to each individual person with his or her name on it in hard copy. It will be a bubble in form. We are also going to put the same form on a web site so that if you are interested in doing it that way you can do it through the web site. But it is an opportunity for each person to express his or her feelings, views, opinions, positive complaints as opposed to whining as to what the system is doing to you. What youíd like to have the system do for you. How youíd like to improve the system. Everything that you could possible want to say to give the University direction. Then we will end up with the recommendations which will be turned over to the administration, Faculty Senate, appropriate committees and we hope that it will be a live document that wonít just be a coffee table book that we will put on the shelf and say, "Thank God thatís over with we wonít have to do this for ten years." Questions? Caroline said I had 3 minutes. Please fill out the questionnaire survey.

PROFESSOR ADRIENNE COOPER (ENGR) - I would just like to know what the web site address is.

PROFESSOR BARRON - We will make that known through Itís Carolina. And, Iím sure Larry will give us a front page spread as soon as our questionnaire goes out. The current web site is: aim.deis.sc.edu/sacs. All proposals, all the documents are there and our telephone number.

CHAIR STROBEL - Are there any other questions to ask Dan. Thank you very much. There has been the point made that many of you were not aware of what was happening or even that we had the SACS reaccreditation underway. I think you can see it is well underway. Many faculty have already been engaged in it. All of you are going to be able to be engaged in it. It will be something that everyone can participate in and I urge you to go back and communicate this to your fellow faculty members so they are aware that this is happening. The questionnaire will be coming out now very soon. It will be before the end of the Spring semester. Is that correct?

PROFESSOR BARRON - I Ďm sorry I want to take one more second to thank the Faculty Welfare Committee because they had plans to do a survey this Spring and we worked with them and they helped us to incorporate some of the things they want to get to. We really appreciate the fact that they put off their survey this Spring and will wait until the fall. So thank you Faculty Welfare.

CHAIR STROBEL - Yes you will be getting another questionnaire from the Faculty Welfare Committee in the Fall but the one that will be out this month, April is the one on the SACS reaccreditation. I really encourage everybody to fill that out and participate in it and urge your fellow faculty members to do so as well. Are there other items of new business?

VIII. Good of the Order

PROFESSOR KELLAH EDENS (EDUC) - The Department of Educational Psychology in the College of Education wanted to go on the record as opposing the proposed changed to the University Tenure and Promotion Committee and for Professor Wedlockís amendment.

CHAIR STROBEL - Thank you. We are not to that discussion yet. We are getting to it.

PROFESSOR MICHAEL MYRICK (CHEM) - I have a question about Admissions. I know we have a Committee on Admissions and I know that we are very concerned about admissions policy but I am concerned about admissions practice. What has brought this to mind is a recent experience in my own department. One of our faculty members has a grandson who applied to both USC and Clemson this year. Clemson University replied very quickly and provided a lot of information about Clemson University and all the advantages that the student would have in going to Clemson University. Whereas our own Admission Office didnít reply for 2 months. So 2 months after the application he got a letter in the mail saying he was accepted but no other information about the institution was apparently included in it. And, that was at the undergraduate level. I was just concerned about practices because it seems to me that if we are competing for students in the State of South Carolina we really want to put our best foot forward.

At the graduate level, my own department has had a recent experience (now, Iím a physical chemist in our department). Of course applications at the graduate level go to the Graduate School and the Graduate School refers them to us. A student from South Carolina applied to the Graduate School and their file was never sent to us because I guess the check that they sent for $35 bounced. Perhaps they actually didnít bounce the check at other places, I donít know. But the Graduate School kept hold of the application waiting for the $35 to come in. It turns out this was the best student who applied to our department this year and we never heard about her until she showed up on our doorstep one day. She decided to find out what was going on and we had no idea who she was or anything. It is very late in the applications process. She has already been accepted at many other places and now we are trying battle back and convince her she wants to come here. This is something that I am quite concerned about.

CHAIR STROBEL - It sounds like this is something that Steve your Committee on Admissions needs to look into and see what is happening in that regard because we certainly do want to be putting our best foot forward to get the very best students we can from South Carolina. Thank you very much. Maybe you could report back to us.

Anything else for the good of the order? I am now going to go ahead and adjourn the Faculty Senate Meeting and turn it over to Professor Henry Price, Chair of the Faculty Advisory. He will come up here now and we will conduct a discussion as has previously been announced about the changes to the Faculty Manual.

The Faculty Senate Meeting was adjourned at 3:50 p.m.