Faculty Senate Meeting

February 4, 1998

CHAIRMAN ELDON WEDLOCK - I call the meeting to order. I thought we should have some style [gesturing to backdrop]. These gentlemen and people in Instructional Services helped out with this, so now we are going prime time.

I. Correction and Approval of Minutes.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Correction and approval of the minutes.

SECRETARY SARAH WISE - I have two corrections to make: 1) Professor Spurrier from Statistics was present at the December meeting. 2) On page 1, the first line of the comments of Professor Glenn Harrison should have an open quote at the beginning of the quote.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Those corrections are noted. Are there any others? Hearing none I'll order the minutes approved as printed.

II. Reports of Officers.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - President Palms is busy somewhere raising money for this august

institution, and he is sorry that he can't be with us today but he promises that he will be with us at the next meeting. In lieu of his presence we have some brief comments from him. So I will turn the program over to President Palms via videotape.

PRESIDENT PALMS:

The activities of the Bicentennial Campaign are making it necessary for me to be out of town a great deal more. Over the last few days, I have been working with a particular prospect whose gift could have a major influence on the Honors College and our National Scholars Program as well. There is a lot of activity in the Bicentennial Campaign. We are actively soliciting over a thousand prospects. We are well on our way to meeting our goal for the silent part of the campaign, and we are going to have some very exciting announcements to make, particularly the eve of the formal announcement of the campaign, which is April 30th.

The next important priority is, of course, the budget for the University, and we have been working with the House and the Senate and with the Governor's office to see to it that we have an increase in our University budget. The top priority in that budget is faculty salary increases

and staff salary increases. There is currently no money in the Governor's budget for that, this is not unusual. We have had that experience before, and we are getting help from the House committees as well as the Senate committees. With that in mind, we will continue to improve our communication with the members of the General Assembly. We had a breakfast last week with members and chairman of the Ways and Means Committee. We had the speaker of the House here. We had the chairman of the House Education Committee. We were able to brief the subcommittee with Niki Setzler and John Courson. John Finan, Dennis Pruitt, and I gave them a review of our financial needs, our vision statement, which they have endorsed and hopefully this kind of communication can help us with the budget. We have enough items in the budget that are important. Right now there is no new money in the budget for a number of important things. We have supported the Life Scholarship Program that the Governor has proposed. The Governor has put in his budget some money that will match the endowment income from the campaign. There is about $800,000 in the budget to do that. We don't think that's nearly enough, but it is a good beginning. We hope to be able to keep that money in the budget as it passes through the House and the Senate.

A few other items of interest. I know there were concerns from the students getting their books from the Bookstore. We checked with other bookstores in the southeast that are managed by the same firm, the Wallace firm, and we believe the difficulties on the campus were caused principally by some local management. We have been assured that actions have been taken so this will not recur, but I would like to encourage faculty to place your orders as early as possible. .

Last week we also had the first meeting of the South Carolina Research Institute. This new foundation was approved several years ago, but we did not have the proper board in place. We now have the Development Foundation, the Educational Foundation, the Business Partnership Board, the Alumni Foundation, and the South Carolina Research Institute. The executive director, Marsha Torr, is using this institute to obtain funds with the least amount of complications in dealing with state regulations etc. and it is going to give us a lot more freedom. We have a very distinguished board of individuals who are giving their time and expertise. We have high hopes of increasing further the success that we have enjoyed in the last several years in guarding our research funds.

I want to thank the faculty for writing over 1300 proposals last year and for the great success we have had in raising the total research grant and contract money to almost $80,000,000 last year. This is good news for us as we go out to try to raise additional funds.

We have completed reviews of various deans, including the Law School, Library and Information Science, Nursing and Journalism. I want to thank the faculty and the committees who gave a lot of their time, who were very thorough and objective analysis of these important leadership positions in our colleges. This process is going very well.

I want to thank those who participated in the annual MLK Day celebration. We had a very successful day. I know you have heard that it has been my decision in 1999 to make MLK a service day. Classes will be dismissed. We will adjust the academic calendar to facilitate that. I think this is in the best interest of the University. As we said, it will not be a day off for students or a day out for students - it will be a day in for students. We are trying to emphasize service and commitment to service. We have a very good record of that in this University, and we hope that this particular holiday dedicated to that theme will enhance the purposes of remembering Martin Luther King.

Finally, I want to remind you that we are having our Interdenominational Prayer Breakfast on February 9th in the Russell House Ballroom. Last year it was a tremendous success, and I hope that you will be able to attend. Again I am sorry I am not with you today. Jerry Odom is here, and I want to congratulate him on his new son. I wish you success in the work that you are doing during this semester. Thank you.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Report of the Provost.

PROVOST JEROME ODOM:

Thank you, Don. To explain what the President meant. I do have a new son. My wife and I just returned from Russia where we adopted a little boy and we are very, very happy about our new addition.

Let me give you some good news to start. From the Office of Fellowships and Summer Programs it seems like more and more good news comes from that office all the time. Of the five Rotary Scholarships that are available to students in the regional competition, the University of South Carolina received 4 of the 5. I just wanted to recognize those students by reading their names. These scholarships are about $22,000 each and they serve as very valuable tools for our students to continue their studies. Elizabeth Ann Chandler who is a senior broadcasting major in the Honors College and will be pursuing studies in politics in Glasgow, Scotland. Daniel Branyon, who is a graduate of the Honors College and is a first year MIBS student will be studying international business and the French language in France. Kelley Vickery is a senior accounting major in the Honors College. She will be studying economics and political science in South Africa. Gita Chakrabarti is a junior English and personnel management double major. She is in the South Carolina Honors College and she will be studying languages and international business in England at the University of Leeds. You might be interested to know that 34 of our students have won these scholarships since 1985 and 21 of them have been awarded the scholarship since our Office of Fellowships and Summer Programs was established only 3 years ago. We have 3 students who have been recommended for Fulbright grants for 1998-99. These recommendations are forwarded to the Fulbright Commissions in the countries and they will be reviewed and usually about 75% of them are awarded. Since the students have not been confirmed yet, we are not allowed to release their names. But I would like to offer my thanks to Novella Beskid who directs this office and to Bill Matalene in the English Department who serves as the faculty advisor for the Fulbright.

I would like to just make a couple of comments about National Carolina Scholars Program which is in it's first year. I think most of you know how successful we have been with the Carolina Scholars Program. Those students up to this time have been all in-state students. We have now decided to try to expand that program to the national level. We had about 25 students who attended who came in with one or both parents on Saturday and stayed through Monday and had interviews Monday morning. We had a very nice dinner on Sunday night where the President talked about the University. These were some very impressive young people and we are hoping that this program will be successful. We intend to award 5 scholarships this year. We are hoping that we are able to attract many of those students who will not be recipients of the National Carolina Scholarship but who, in fact, interviewed this past weekend.

Let me mention a topic that I know has been occupying many of you - the topic of post-tenure review. Post-tenure review is something that is included in the performance indicators under evaluation and quality of faculty. We need to have a process in place by the end of this year. This is hopefully a very faculty driven process. The Faculty Advisory Committee currently has a draft of a post-tenure review plan and I think, Don, the plans are to discuss that at the next Faculty Senate meeting. The draft of that plan hopefully by the middle to the end of next week will go on the Provost's homepage so all of you can have a look at it and be ready

to discuss it. I think it deserves a lot of discussion. It is something that I hope will primarily be a process derived from the individual units and it will be process that is relatively autonomous from the units just as the tenure and promotion criteria emanate from the individual units.

The other thing that the President mentioned was the bookstore. I am not totally familiar with everything. What I do know about the situation is that there clearly was a lack of communication, I think, on both sides. We certainly are talking to the bookstore personnel and to the management about rectifying the situation. Hopefully that is not going to occur again. I know that Richard Wertz has been working very hard on the situation and he probably can answer questions that I couldn't if you have questions about the situation.

I would like to inform you about deans' searches. The Public Health dean - I think that we are very, very close with that. We are now arranging a visit for the candidate and his family. I think from my perspective as long as his family is okay with Columbia and the schools and housing, etc., then I am very hopeful to be able to announce a new dean of Public Health very shortly. Education - the committee has identified 8 finalists and they are contacting those finalists to be sure it is okay to get recommendations or contact references. They will have a short list fairly soon. Science and Math and Liberal Arts are in the process right now of narrowing their applications to a short list in order to contact references. I am also very pleased today to follow an announcement that was made to the faculty in the School of Music to inform you that a long time faculty member, a very valuable faculty member in that school, Manny Alvarez has agreed to be the interim dean. Manny's term will begin July 1, 1998 and I am very appreciative to him for accepting this position.

In terms of deans' reviews the President also mentioned those and, for your information, I will be happy to answer any questions. That procedure that has been in place for a couple of years - 3 years I think. The deans are reviewed every 5 years. This is a fairly extensive review by a committee that is assembled by the Office of the Provost. The committee consists of faculty in the college usually chaired by an external faculty member. These people work incredibly hard and do a wonderful service to the University and to the administration in contacting other faculty in the college, students, alumni, and in some cases members of professional organizations in the academic area or in the state who do a very thorough and extensive review of the dean's performance. After that a report is written and that report is forwarded to me. A copy of the report goes to the dean and to the president and in all three of the cases that the President has mentioned today, the President and I sat down to discuss these reports at length and met with the committee and separately with the dean to discuss the report. This is done every 5 years, and we started with the most senior deans when we started this process. The schedule for evaluation of deans is on the Provost's homepage. So if you would like to look at the schedule that is where you will find it. Again I will be happy to answer questions that you have.

I wanted to alert you to 2 bills that have been introduced in the Legislature by Representative Stille. These are bills that have been introduced before but there was a hearing this morning starting discussion of these bills. One is a tuition surcharge bill that would charge a 25% surcharge to any student who takes more than 140 hours. To be very candid with you the purpose of this bill is to prevent students from just taking many courses in many different areas.

At the same time if you look at our student body to see where some of the students are that take a large number of hours, you find there are programs in Engineering that require in the 130's. There are a couple of other programs that are also in the 130's. If people double major or people in the Honors College bring in a large number of AP credits all of that is included in this bill right now. So there are also some students that would be hurt by this and we do not want them to be hurt. We will continue to monitor that and talk to Representative Stille about it.

The other bill is one that does affect the faculty more and that is a mandated workload bill for faculty. Workload in terms of hours spent in the classroom. Again this is a bill that has been introduced before and we will monitor it and try to have a conversation with him about it.

Finally, another topic that is of great concern to people right now has to do with our Child Development Center at the University. This is an unfortunate situation in many respects that has arisen because of our master plan. We have planned for some time to build another dormitory for on-campus housing. The facility that is currently occupied by the Child Development Center will be demolished in order to build that dormitory and the question has been ever since I became Provost where can this child development center go? As most of you are aware space on this campus is incredibly tight and we basically have very few places that we can talk about this going. The Development Foundation recently acquired a building on South Devine Street which is toward Huger Street. The building was an office supply sales building. It needs some extensive renovations. The appraised value of the building is $530,000 and the University needs to buy that from the Development Foundation if we want to use it for University purposes. The renovations are anywhere from $850,000 to $1,000,000. The College of Education has a gift from a couple who are very, very good friends of the University for half a million dollars that could be used for renovations but we are faced with finding somewhere around a million dollars from University funds and basically from academic funds if we would like to buy the building and renovate it for the Child Development Center. This has been a very difficult decision. It has involved a lot of crunching of numbers to try to see if we could in fact find a million dollars. I met a couple of weeks ago with Mac Brown who is here today. Mac is the Executive Director of the Child Development Center. I told him that the University just did not feel that it could come up with this money at this time particularly from academic funds. There is another possibility although that is still in the works in terms of negotiations. We just don't know when that is going to happen. I know that Mac has made some overtures to South Carolina ETV to see what the possibility of using their space in a joint venture would be. They have a nice facility. At the same time we have been in contact with the Budget and Control Board. You probably are aware that William Hubbard, the Chair of the Board of Trustees, was appointed by the Governor to chair a Task Force on Women in Government. One of their recommendations was that the State establish a downtown child care center. We are talking to them about the possibility of something that would be joint where we could furnish faculty and students and they furnish the finances and that is still in negotiation. The bottom line is that we do not want to close the facility. I do think that we need to look at the operation of that facility. I've done a little bit of work on the Internet and have been particularly interested in the child development center which is not a day care center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Frank Porter Graham Child Development Center. That center is extremely well funded from external sources. It has grants that fund work at that center in Public Health, Psychology, in Nursing, Social Work, and Education. They very recently received or became the home of a $13.7 million dollar grant from the National Institute on Early Childhood Development. That's the kind of thing that we should be doing here. I think that we need to look at the situation if this is going to be a true child development center. If it is going to be looked upon as an academic enterprise then that is the kind of activity that we need to be involved in. If we are talking about day care, that is another issue and that is again something the University needs to be concerned about and needs to look at but those are two different things. Again, I will be happy to answer questions. I had extensive conversation with Rob Wilcox. He is not able to be here today but we have a meeting scheduled early next week and I also am hopeful that Rob and Mac Brown and I can get together to talk about alternatives and where we can go and what we can do in this particular situation.

I will be happy to answer any questions.

PROFESSOR CHARLES MACK - ART - The post-tenure review is going to be discussed at the next Faculty Senate I would encourage the administration of the Senate to do more than simply do a pro forma announcement at the Senate meeting. I think all faculty members need to be aware of it and to be here. I think it is extremely important.

I have a whole series of questions that have accumulated since the President hasn't been here and this is the third time. I am not taking this personally - yet. But I am not exactly sure which ones to address. There are some that really I have been asked to ask him. But let me return to the question of Representative Stille and a question that was asked by John Spurrier, I believe, at the December meeting of Chairman of the Board Hubbard concerning any possible University public response to that op ed piece that was published on the 22nd of November.

A number of faculty members wrote letters to the editor to address that issue. Some of us wrote to Representative Stille about the erroneous nature of his comments. I for one have not received a reply from him; but then on January 14th, a half-page advertisement was taken out in The State newspaper by Associated Industrial Supply Company about the college tuition crisis and one of the things they mentioned is that the state should encourage academic leaders such as Dr. Palms "to concentrate on reducing costs instead of citing under funding as the reason for tuition increases." Then it went on to say that "State Representative Stille has provided a blueprint for saving millions of education tax dollars in South Carolina". Chairman of the Board Hubbard suggested that the University would rather not engage in a public verbal debate with Representative Stille but I am worried about public perception. If the University does not respond officially, if the board members do not respond officially, then the public is going to believe, since it is unanswered then it is correct. In fact, the faculty has been grievously insulted by his comments and I think it deserves an official public response nasty as the results might be. Something needs to be said in our defense.

PROVOST ODOM - I agree and as the chief academic officer that is my responsibility Randy and there is a draft - we have worked with our Institutional Research Office and Marcia Welsh and Don Greiner in my office. We have a draft of a reply that basically points out that Representative Stille's numbers are incorrect and presents the correct numbers. I hope that you will see that in the newspaper very shortly.

PROFESSOR MACK - The other issue I would like to bring up is one that has been brought to my attention. I act as the liaison to the library with book orders and that sort of thing and I have been asked to come in and discuss a list of books which the library plans--and this is from every department or unit--to reassign from Cooper Library to an off-site facility which is in the process of being finished. A lot of us are concerned about that because once those books go off they are going to be, in effect, entombed and despite the fact that one can call them in - well out of sight, out of mind, it is certainly out of browsing. This may work for some areas where new information is the key element. In my area age makes no difference in terms of journals or in terms of when things were published. We have also been asked to maybe take areas in which we are not academically engaged either in teaching or research and think about those as areas to be moved. I can think of a horrible scenario: when I go in there I am going to take a look since we do not offer a course in African Art at the moment I am going to take a look at the African art books and say "well, better get rid of them than get rid of the Renaissance books which I do teach." That's going to eliminate the possibility of students browsing and learning in those areas. We preach ethnic diversity. This to me runs counter to that argument. I understand one of the reasons why the library has been forced to do this is because of the crunch of space and one of the reasons that the library is running out of space is that the area that might have been dedicated to the expansion of Cooper Library behind the library is going to be devoted to, as I understand it, really sort of a non-academic use in the future. I wonder if you could address this issue. I think it strikes directly at academic resources and what a library at an institution is all about.

PROVOST ODOM - Well, I can tell you that a lot of people have the same concern that you do particularly with respect to the browsing issue. It is a space issue. It may be that more of what really gets moved might be in the sciences or engineering where you need material but you don't need something that is 20 years old. George Terry is here and he might want to address that. There is a space crunch. There is no doubt about that. In terms of space behind the library right now it is my understanding there are no plans for that space, Randy. Now I will tell you that at one point there was discussion of a small hotel or something like that. At the last board meeting or two board meetings ago, that space was considered too valuable in terms of core academic space on campus to designate it for that purpose. So at this particular time there is no plan for that space. I have been involved in no talk about expansion of the library into that space. George, do you have any comments you would like to make about the off-campus facility.

VICE PRESIDENT GEORGE TERRY - The facility will be about 12 miles from campus. It is based on the model that Harvard has which is located 32 miles away from the main campus. They have a rule that any time a book taken out of the storage facility twice it stays in the general collection. We are planning to work very closely with all the faculty at the university. We would be happy to do a little presentation at one of the Faculty Senate meetings about the concept for this remote storage facility. But we probably will have deliveries 3 or 4 times a day coming to and from the building and you're right it will primarily be the sciences, the older journals in terms of the sciences, government documents and things like that which are used very rarely. Fortunately we have very good circulation records and we know which books are actually used. Randy, I suspect your area will be one of those areas that probably a whole lot of material

will not be moved to the storage facility. I heard you loud and clear but I want to tell you this .

Last week I was at the University of Kentucky. They just built a $55,000,000 library and I know the state of South Carolina will not come up with $55,000,000, so we are doing the best we can with what we've got.

PROFESSOR MACK - George, I know you are.

PROFESSOR LAWRENCE RHU - ENGLISH - I have 2 children at the USC Children's Center. I want you to know that the parents have been deeply disturbed about this issue for a very long time. They have been repeatedly reassured that when the center closed down there would be another site available and that there would be no discontinuation of day care at the center. This news of an early, perhaps permanent, closing has come as an incredible shock to us because we have tried to listen attentively to people who oversee the center at the College of Education. We have tried to work through the appropriate channels, and all of a sudden at the PTO meeting and then in The State newspaper, we hear that the likelihood of the center's continuing is contingent on our raising a million dollars in the next 6 months. So we are quite shocked. Frankly, I wonder if we can have some reassurance that we will get prompt and accurate information about what is going to become of the center. Also when you talk about the difference between child development and day care, I want you to know that we believe the USC Children's Center is more than just a day care provider. It also provides a wealth of research opportunities for the study of child development. This center has existed for over 20 years. It has always served a diverse range of families. It is a great benefit to faculty, staff and students with young children in need of quality care. It has a long history of supporting faculty research and teacher training. Any institution with the present aspirations of this University can hardly afford to turn its back on such an exemplary child development center.

PROVOST ODOM - I couldn't agree with you more. My daughter went to the facility in 1975

and so I am well aware of its history. At the same time I met with a group right after I became Provost and I can tell you that I made no guarantees. I simply said at that time that I would do the best I could to find something and I certainly hope that Mac will let you know that I felt that this Devine Street center would work if we could find the money.

PROFESSOR RHU - We would like some reassurance that we will have sustained day care for our kids in the facility over on Blossom Street and then be relocated into a new facility. I know it wasn't written in stone. As you put it, there was no guarantee. We were asked to back off because things were being taken care of through the right channels, and then this bomb explodes in Thursday's newspaper. We had our PTO meeting on Tuesday, and I will tell you that it sent us, as parents, reeling. I don't think it is because we haven't tried really consistently over the past year to find out what was going on. And so this distinction between a guarantee and reassurance is merely semantic. We were reassured that this would not happen, and now it seems to be happening.

PROVOST ODOM - All I can tell you is that we will do the best we can to try to find a facility. I was informed this morning that the University or the Medical School has a facility on, I think it is, Assembly Street and we will look at that. We will do everything that we can. I do not want the facility to close, but at the same time some very hard decisions, priorities have to be made when you talking about a million dollars for any particular academic unit within the University.

PROFESSOR RHU - You also promised that we would get accurate information because to be talking about a million dollars at this apparently late hour in the life of the Childrren's Center is much more difficult then it would have been a year ago. These plans to demolish the building have been in place for 5 years. Now the parents need to make a million dollars in six months and everything will be okay. But this just can't be done.

PROVOST ODOM - I can't tell you how many meetings that we had of the Administrative Council about this issue. What could we do? How could we do it? As soon as the decision was made that it just did not seem possible to spend a million dollars on the facility right now I had a meeting with Mac Brown. I informed him immediately and then I wrote him a letter confirming that conversation. He is the executive director of the facility and so I felt like I was doing the best I could in terms of communication by going to the executive director as soon as I knew anything at all that seemed certain. Again I want to emphasize that we are not shutting the door. I still hope that we are going to be able to do something but as soon as it seemed that we might have to close that center, at least temporarily, I informed the executive director of the center.

PROFESSOR RHU - Well, it came as a shock and a surprise to parents who had tried to make a relatively level-headed response when this prospect appeared on the horizon. We have focused on constructive action. Now the University spokesman calls this an emotional issue. We think it is a very important issue.

PROVOST ODOM - I agree.

PROFESSOR ALAN BAUERSCHMDT - BADM - On the dean's review the policy statement seems to suggest that those people who participated in the review receive a report of the review. I think it suggests that faculty will participate in the review of its dean. Should it receive a report?

PROVOST ODOM - John, do you have any feeling about that? You have done this previously. How were these reviews handled?

ASSOCIATE PROVOST JOHN OLSGAARD- The unit faculty representatives are elected by the faculty of the college to sit on the review committee. They are not appointed by the provost or by the president. Then the committee is augmented by a smaller number of appointees including the chair of that committee. The faculty of the college are required to be surveyed by the committee that is doing the review. The final report is by nature a personnel action. The committee is interviewed usually by the provost and by the president after the report is filed and the report is reviewed with them. But is there a different report to the faculty of the college - no there is not.

PROFESSOR ALAN BAUERSCHMIDT - I believe that the policy should be changed because the policy suggests that the faculty would receive a report of the review.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Are there any other questions?

PROFESSOR JOHN SPURRIER -STAT - One of my faculty members has a child in the Children's Center and he has presented me with data about how long the waiting lines are at alternative centers in the down town area. He has urged me to urge you to have this decision made as soon as possible. He is saying that if he wanted to make a change for fall it might already be too late. There is some indication in the newspaper that the parents shouldn't be too concerned but it a major concern for parents.

PROVOST ODOM - John, let me be very candid with you. The parents should be concerned and I think the parents should try to make alternative plans at this point. When we had the meeting, the last one where it was decided that there was not $1,000,000 that we could come up with right now, I asked if the demolition of the area for the dormitory could be phased such that this center could stay open at least through the end of 1998. Charlie Jeffcoat went back and got estimates on what it would cost to stage the demolition rather than just close off the area entirely. I am not sure it would be good to stage it anyway but it was a request. It was going to be substantially more expensive to do it that way. When I met with Mac I said we could continue to have the center opened until at least the end of the summer. It is my recollection that Mac said that if we were going to close it, it would probably be best to be done at the end of the spring semester. It certainly can remain open until the end of August and I am still hopeful that something will happen with some space. But I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that parents should be concerned. Parents should look elsewhere.

MAC BROWN, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER -

What I recall from our conversation was in the event that we had to close the center, the parents would need at least six months notice. I was still under the assumption that the construction wasn't going to begin there until 1999. We wanted to give people six months notice.

We need to announce to parents by the end of this semester, that they need to start looking, to find (alternative child care). Not that we should go ahead and close it at the end of this semester. I think that's the point I was trying to make. The other question I have is, did Music, Art and Engineering, when they got new buildings, did they have to come up with the entire amount of money? Was there no University support for those academic programs getting new buildings? We have 30% of our expenses. The University can't support us at all in this?

PROVOST ODOM - I think the University would be willing to try to support you. Mac, one of the things that went into this decision is that we were concerned about the research. Was there research? Is this in fact an academic unit? Was this a Child Development Center in terms of research in child development? Were proposals being written? Were funds being sought externally? Were publications resulting from this? That is where the decisions have to be made - where are you going to put academic money?

PROFESSOR MAC BROWN - We had a project begin with a $16.9 million dollar budget. We won that competition along with the Med School. We can forget that money, Congress changed its priorities. We have the potential to do that.

PROVOST ODOM - Exactly and I hope that we will be able to reconfigure this in different space and in fact start that kind of work.

PROFESSOR CHARLES MACK - ART- I have another question. It may be out of your area. The former CHE head, Fred Sheheen, in the newspaper we were informed that he was part of a University think tank. Does that fall under your area at all? I was just curious as to its composition, its purpose, what it is supposed to do, what it has done.

PROVOST ODOM - Most, I would say the majority of the money that operates the Institute for Public Affairs is external money - soft money. There is a substantial amount of money from the Legislature for that. There is an internal budget associated with it for personnel but in general you will that most of the personnel in the Institute are on soft money - external money.

PROFESSOR MACK - I was asked to find out if possible who serves in that group whatever it is called.

PROVOST ODOM - There are a number of different areas in the Institute of Public Affairs. For example, if you are familiar with Leadership South Carolina Program, that emanates from the Institute of Public Affairs. If you are familiar with the Washington semester for students, that comes from the Institute of Public Affairs. A lot of the work that is done with various municipal associations through the University. All comes from Public Affairs. I am sure there is an organizational chart. I am not familiar with the whole thing. Right now, I know that one of the very active areas is a Center on Health Policy and Bioethics and that is through the Institute of Public Affairs, the Medical School, and Richland Memorial Hospital. It is actually going to be what we call a Center of Excellence. I know that the Medical School puts money there, Richland Memorial puts money there, and the Institute has some money but it also gets some money from the Legislature, too.

PROFESSOR MACK - The impression given in the newspaper was an unfortunate impression.

PROVOST ODOM - I think it was to be honest with you. I really wouldn't term the Institute of Public Affairs a "think tank."

PROFESSOR EVAN PALEOLOGOS - GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES - I wanted to raise a point regarding the day care center. I think an important issue, apart from the concerns of the faculty that are currently using the center, is the recruitment efforts of the University. I think not having a day care center is going to create a negative image for our University, especially in the current environment where the trend in, at least, the large corporations is to offer such centers to accommodate working parents. I believe a potential elimination of the day care center is going to make it harder for all departments to recruit young faculty.

PROVOST ODOM - I agree.

PROFESSOR GEORGE KUSHF - PHILSOPHY - I just wanted to use the previous question as an opportunity to advertisement. I am with the Center for Bioethics, which is under the umbrella of the Institute of Public Affairs. In addition to several research programs, we are very involved with the development of the Medical Humanities Program. Many faculty in the College of Liberal Arts have just received a mailing on some of these activities, outlining some of  the things we are doing in the area of education and faculty development.

CHAIRMAN ELDON WEDLOCK - Any questions? Thank you very much for your report.

We will advertise the post-tenure review debate as extensively, and maybe even more so, than the one we had on tenure and promotion criteria of the Blue Ribbon Committee. I also might suggest in terms of the comments with regard to the day-care/child development center problem that the Welfare Committee is taking it very seriously. Rob Wilcox can't be here unfortunately his mother-in-law died, and he is attending her funeral. We will be meeting on this and exploring avenues for providing day care as a matter of benefits package. That may require some creative financing in addition to of the things that the Provost mentioned that the University will be doing. We will be looking at the question because the comments about recruitment and support of younger faculty as they make their career moves does, these days, require attention to providing that kind of benefit to them.

III. Reports of Committees.

A. Faculty Senate Steering Committee, Professor Sarah Wise, Secretary:

PROFESSOR SARAH WISE - Copies of the proposal of the Faculty House Board of Governors were presented to you for information only. The Faculty House Board of Governors proposes the following change in the Board structure:

ATHAT the Board of Governors be increased from eight (8) to ten (10) members. The two additional members shall be:

1. An elected faculty member with expertise in business administration and/or restaurant management. Evidence of such expertise should be provided to the Senate Steering Committee when the slate of nominees is prepared. (Evidence may consist of management experience or academic expertise.)

2. An appointed member drawn from the Corporate or Business Membership categories.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Those will have to be passed on by the faculty so the Steering Committee is bringing them first to Advisory for language to add to the Faculty Manual to accomplish those things, but those proposals will be taken up at the General Faculty meeting at the end of April.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Richard, did you want to say anything?

PROFESSOR RICHARD CONANT - MUSC - Yes. Is it inappropriate to bring up the question on how the appointed corporate member will be appointed since it is going to Faculty Advisory?

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Well, it wouldn't be appropriate to comment on it. You might direct those to Advisory Committee.

PROFESSOR CONANT - Okay, I will.

PROFESSOR DAVID WAUGH - ENGR - I agree with the ruling because it involves a change in the Faculty Manual and it needs more deliberations. My question is what mechanism will there be for those who believe modifications should be made to what is proposed, so that we don't get into a possible deferral at the time of that one meeting over issues that could probably be resolved before that meeting occurs. I, and I know others, feel that there is some missing ingredient in the proposal just read to us. If we could either have an opportunity to present those and have them turned down, or to present them and have then accepted, rather than debate them on the floor of the April General Faculty meeting.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - I would suggest that you take those suggestions, if you have not already done so, to the Board of Governors in the first instance, and to the Faculty Advisory Committee in the second instance. We will get a report on those items and then with the report in hand, if you want to present them at the faculty meeting that is when to do so.

PROFESSOR WAUGH - Only one set rather than arguing the point, and I believe that is possible to work it out.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Okay but I believe those are the avenues that we would need to do that through.

PROFESSOR CONANT - We had made some suggestions to the chairman and apparently was no follow through in this particular document, but you feel we should go back to the Faculty House Board of Governors then instead of to Advisory?

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Well you might make at least an informal sally in that direction, and if that is not satisfactory, I would say that you would want to take them further through the Faculty Advisory Committee. Because ultimately the faculty will make these changes, and that would be the body that would make the recommendations.

PROFESSOR CAROLINE EASTMAN - COMPUTER SCIENCE - Point of order. I am not sure exactly what procedures are being used to pass the attendance sheets, but they have not been effective enough to get them over to this side.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Here it comes.

B. Grade Change Committee, Professor Richard Clodfelter, Chair:

PROFESSOR CLODFELTER - I present for your approval the grade changes that appear on page 24 through 31 of the document in front of you.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Are there any questions, comments or suggestions? Hearing none I will put the recommendation to a vote. All those in favor of the grade changes say aye. Opposed - no. Approved.

C. Curricula and Courses Committee, Professor John Winberry:

PROFESSOR WINBERRY - The Committee's report can be found on pages 32 and 33 of the agenda and there is also an addendum to the report which I hope I got a copy of to everyone which lists three classes to be included under the May Session offerings. I apologize for the Senate for asking you to act on it without having it on the agenda, but in order to insure its inclusion of the courses in the schedule for the May Session we do have to act on it at this meeting. So page 32 and 33 plus the addendum.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - We don't really have to act on the addendum. It is there for information if you want to act on it you can, but it is presented for your information. But if you want to object to anything or make any amendments you can do so. The committee report has been moved. All those in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Now the addendum any changes, suggestions or amendments? Hearing none it stands.

D. Faculty Advisory Committee, Professor Caroline Strobel, Chair:

No report.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - No report but there are many things going on. Is that correct?

PROFESSOR CAROLINE STROBEL -Yes. We will have many things coming forward.

E. Faculty Welfare Committee, Professor Wilcox, Chair:

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Is there anyone from that committee who wants to speak?

PROFESSOR CAROLINE EASTMAN - COMPUTER SCIENCE and a member of the Faculty Welfare Committee - We have many things going on in our committee as well. No recommendations.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - No recommendations. Things are going on though.

F. Admissons Committee, Professor James Burns, Chair:

PROFESSOR BURNS - No report. We have many things going on in our committee as well.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - We are saving you from all of this.

G. Scholastic Standards and Petitions Committee, Professor John Lopiccolo:

PROFESSOR JOHN LOPICCOLO - We want to present for your approval the motion on page 34 in the agenda basically changing the residence requirement from at least 12 hours in the student's major may be taken at the University changing it to at least half of the hours of a student's major and minor courses be taken at the University.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Any amendments? Comments? Suggestions? Are you ready to vote on the motion? All in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Approved. Thank you.

H. Committee on Academic Responsibility - no report.

I. Faculty House Board of Governors.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - We had that on the agenda but we took care of it in the Steering Committee.

VI. Report of the Secretary.

No report.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Oh, we have Keen Butterworth here. Would you like to comment on the Bookstore material?

PROFESSOR KEEN BUTTERWORTH - Chairman of the Bookstore Committee - I have a short report here to deliver. For the sake of brevity and so I won't forget the things I want to say

I prepared a short report. Let me state at the outset for those of you who don't know the status of the Faculty Bookstore Committee that it has no real power except to make recommendations. Our only reasons to be are to deal with complaints from the faculty and students and to present those complaints to the management of the bookstore so that they can be addressed and the problems rectified, and to make recommendations about changes in policy or the addition of services. We also try to maintain a liaison with personnel in the Bookstore and cultivate a friendly relationship between faculty and management and foresee problems before they arise. In regard to the problems that we had this semester I must say that I both did and did not anticipate the problems that arose. When the deadline for book orders was approaching last fall and the department had not received book order forms, I went immediately to the Bookstore and spoke with Tara McCarthy, the interim textbook manager, and with Phil Anders, the store manager. Neither was aware of the procedure followed traditionally in ordering textbooks. That is, that the Bookstore supply forms to the departments with a cover letter stating deadlines for the book orders. Both assured me that they would look into the matter immediately and the forms did arrive shortly thereafter, so I assumed the problems of late orders would be taken care of, but alas as you know from the Gamecock and State newspapers if not from your own experience, they were not. When I learned during the first week of this semester the extensive unavailability of text, I spoke with several of the personnel in the store and with Phil Anders, who at that time had been dismissed by the company. Later I spoke with Steve Long, who is here today. Wallace's regional director who is overseeing the correction of those deficiencies. From my conversation with the people involved my impression has been that the problems were caused largely by personnel inexperience. Phil Anders, though competent in store management, and I might add was entirely cooperative in my dealings with him, had very little experience in textbook management, and Tara McCarthy, who had recently been transferred to USC from Boston this past summer, had not been trained properly in procedures here at USC, thus there was a great deal of confusion on their part, the textbook manager, who had some years of experience at USC, left in September. In retrospect, one can see that the Wallace Company should have sent someone with experience to assist in this matter until a new textbook manager could be found, but they did not. This problem was compounded when Tara took two weeks of leave over the Christmas holiday. I have been told this leave was promised as a condition of her coming to USC, but her absence certainly exacerbated the problem. When Phil Anders discovered the extent of the deficiencies it was too late, and he bore the brunt of his and his staff's inexperience when he was dismissed at the beginning of the semester.

I might add that it has also been my impression that the textbook section of the University Bookstore, was understaffed, but that is only my impression and is not based on expertise in bookstore management. Since the discovery of the numerous deficiencies in textbooks,Wallace has sent in a task force of senior personnel to help remedy the situation. Steve Long, Wallace's regional manager, has agreed to be here today to tell you what measures are being taken to insure that such a failure of prompt textbook supply, will not occur in the future, and we also have Richard Wertz, the chair of the Bookstore Oversight Committee, here today to answer any questions you might have for him. Are there any questions first for me?

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Steve, would you like to address the assemblage?

STEVE LONG - WALLACE BOOK COMPANY - Well, I want to thank you for the opportunity to come and speak to you today. It may sound unusual but I do. There were a number of problems in the textbook order field this spring. We are trying our best to remedy those and we look at this as an opportunity to correct the situation which appears to be a combination of problems, lack of access on our part to you to correct the problems as they came up which we are going to address, lack of communication which gets back to access again. We did not make ourselves available as much as we should have and that is going to be addressed in the future. You will have my guarantee that you will never ask for textbook requisitions forms. They will be there at your disposal giving the dates of when we need the textbook reports.

There will be a number of different avenues that you can communicate with us. We are setting up an E-mail situation. We want to be able to take orders by fax, phone. We are going to incorporate a website like we have at some of our other stores that will again have access for textbook requisitions. We plan to name in the very near future a director for the store with a lot of experience in textbooks. It may seem that it is taken longer than what it should but we want to make sure we name the right person. I have been spending a lot more time than I had planned also but we want to make sure that we pick the right people for these sensitive positions including not only director but a textbook coordinator also. Also plan to set up a campus relations representative and a customer service supervisor inside the store for the textbook department. We hope with a more user friendly textbook requisition order form to be able to get the information from you quicker and to be able to communicate back to you immediately when we hear about an out-of-stock problem or a not yet published problem or an excessive increase in price problem. So there is going to be a tremendous increase in the communication going both ways. That is the main way to stop these problems before they arise to the level that they were this last time. We have been working very hard to correct the problems as quickly as we could.

I know there has been inconvenience. We will do everything in our power to correct that situation in the future. I welcome anybody's questions and I will try my best to answer them.

MARCIA SYNNOTT - HISTORY - I would like to make an observation that I have a big class this spring - 270 people - and I called the textbook division twice, in November and again just before semester break - do you have an order from me? They could not tell me how many copies they ordered but they assured me on both occasions that they had the order in the computer. But then in January I heard that the shelves were absolutely empty. I am not sure they even ordered anything until after the semester began.

STEVE LONG - Sort of like "the check's in the mail" type.

MARCIA SYNNOTT - So the question is what do I do? I am not going to go running off and look at their computers, if I call somebody up and they say, twice, the order is in the computer. I'm just wondering, are personnel working at the bookstore really capable, or do they have the skill to understand what they are looking at in the computer?

STEVE LONG - There was not the training conducted that we had hoped would be. There was not the expertise we had anticipated there would be in some cases and we are working hard to correct that situation and if you call and request information it will be accurate. Feel free to ask for purchase order numbers, dates, anything that will make you feel better, the number of books. because there is no way we can place an order without a number. I mean we should be able to give all that information. Just to give you an idea myself the last 22 years I have operated a store at Penn State University which is a large campus. Before that I was at Ohio State for 12 years on the quarter system with even more students and we had very good textbook departments in all those places and I intend to see to it that we do here also. I want to be able to give you information and answer your questions.

PROFESSOR MARCIA SYNNOTT - One thing that came up in the History Department is the fact that some universities have a checkoff box for, I think it is at Berkeley, California system, a checkoff box which the professor can check off to get desk copies for teaching assistants for large classes. What I have done instead is simply to call the publisher and say I need 3 of these for each of my teaching assistants. It would be very convenient to have a form that allowed a professor to do a checkoff system and just have extra copies included as desk copies that go to the professor for distribution to teaching assistants.

STEVE LONG - I agree with that. That will be on there. We welcome your input into whatever you feel needs to be on a textbook requisition form. We won't be able to incorporate everything but we will certainly try and get everything in there that we can. The other thing that we want to make that there is a very noticeable spot marked whether it is an exclusive order for our store or whether it will be farmed out among the other privates because that will signal to us that we need to order a larger percentage than we would if we weren't sure if it was exclusive. IN fact there are two other stores who sell a large amount of books but it helps us in knowing the quantity to order. If we know it is basically an exclusive order.

MARCIA SYNNOTT - It is my understanding it hasn't ever really been an exclusive order. It is always shared among the three.

STEVE LONG - There are some cases at certain points in the semester for whatever reasons instructors would like to give the booklist to one store and you know that has happened and  in sometimes we haven't ordered appropriately for that.

PROFESSOR BOB FELLER - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES - What is the next deadline we face for orders just for general information?

STEVE LONG - We haven't got this out yet but we will very shortly. For summer and fall we need it by March 25th. For spring of next year, we need it by October 15th. We will be getting these forms to you in plenty of time so that you won't be rushed but that is the date we already have those set. Again for summer and fall, it will be March 25th. Spring of 1999 will be October 15th. Now there may be some changes in that as there may be some interim session start earlier in the summer than others and we will give have updates for that but obviously if you have a course like Penn State that started after spring finals are over we need those orders a little bit earlier to be able to get our orders in.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - What about May session?

STEVE LONG - That is the one I am speaking of right there. We will have a date for that. And there probably are other interim. This was the basic.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Any questions?

STEVE LONG - Thank you very much for your patience.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Richard, do you have anything you would like to add?

RICHARD WERTZ - DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS AFFAIRS - I think obviously this is a business contract and we talked to the corporate people and we have talked about concerns and issues. I have personal interest myself being a faculty member here and worry about textbooks being in and we are concerned about that. Students need to have their textbooks. I think the President was concerned that we also make sure that we get our orders in on time and that we make sure that if there is an exclusive order sent to another bookstore instead of this university bookstore we need to get this in so the students do not see empty shelves because the Russell House didn't have any. But it is a contract and we indicated to Wallace that we can't deal with these kinds of situations in the future and they can be terminated if we need to do so. Hopefully this won't happen again. I have the assurance from corporate headquarters that it won't. I think Steve has done a very good job. The other person I would like to stand up is Jennifer Bailey who is the textbook coordinator. We are hoping that we can get her to come here from the University of Kentucky to be with us I think the issue here is also consistency. We need some consistency. We had a change in the contract from Follet to Wallace and what happens is that there is a disruption of service. I think that is what happened in this case. So I think the Bookstore Oversight Committee is concerned about it but I think they made some changes. It is important. It is a bottom line situation. We can cancel the contract but we are hoping we don't need to and that we will have a long relationship with Wallace and they will do what is necessary. We appreciate it. This whole issue is so important that we would like to have comments made to Keen Butterworth or to me being the University Chairperson of the Oversight Committee. If you do have any problems please give Keen or me a call sometime early on or at least whenever you can and we will try to intervene as early as possible. I think a lot of the complaints came in late and that is understandable but the sooner we jump on it the better it will be for the University and the students.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Yes, I would like to make a couple of comments. The students are the ones that are the first ones to complain, and it seems to me that the company should have some interaction with the students. Some system whereby you can process those complaints

so that you get alerted to the particular problem. Often they don't come to the faculty right away, but they do come pretty quickly. So that is one aspect of it. Myself, I have been getting all kinds of e mail from students. Somehow they think I can do something about this. I sent some of those on to Keen but not all of them. I responded to some. The other thing is I think it is incumbent on some of us to think about our practices too. If I were a student it would be startling to me to have a book assigned in class, and I went to the University Bookstore, and I wasn't able to find it because the University Bookstore had been cut out of the loop in terms of being notified that this was a book. I think most of us would think that when they go to the University Bookstore, they ought to be able to find their textbooks. So we might want to examine some of our own practices in regard to book orders, and not just getting them in on time. Enough of a lecture, probably to the converted. Are there any other committee reports?

J. Other committees.

No.

VI. New Business.

None.

VII. Good of the Order.

PROFESSOR CHARLES MACK - ART - One concern. I guess about a year ago I voiced my concern about the implication - pedagogical implications on long distance learning. It was referred to a committee to discuss. It has come to my attention that those problems are sort of

increasing and one department that shall remain nameless is instituting an e-mail graduate seminar. Now that may or may not be a great idea. I don't know but there are problems about responsibilities, teaching, and interaction with students as well as, in general, some severe long term problems involving hiring practices. compensation, etc. I think we should address these issues as a group and straighten things out before things proceed in a helter skelter manner.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Well, that's good. We need some information before we can discuss them.

PROFESSOR MACK - Well I will be glad to do that. This was just brought to my attention but there was a committee that was going to take a look at the whole thing and I just wondered.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - I haven't heard any reports so we might want to - which committee do you recall?

PROFESSOR MACK - I honestly do not remember.

PROFESSOR CAROLINE EASTMAN - CSCI - It is an Ad Hoc Committee on Internet Courses that I am a member of. Dan Baron is chair of this committee and I believe he is close to having a report submitted.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Could you direct your concerns to that committee?

PROFESSOR MACK - Okay.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Any other remarks for the Good of the Order? Thank you.

PROFESSOR EASTMAN - The attendance sheet has still not made it over here. I would like to request perhaps the Faculty Senate Steering Committee try to devise what we in Computer Science refer to as an "effective procedure" for managing to circulate this.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Maybe we could put some smelly substance on it so that people will not be tempted to hold on to it. Any other remarks for Good of the Order?

ANDY FINK - I serve as Assistant Director of the Housing Department and I've come here to tell you about a new service that is available for faculty members and students. You may have seen the poster - it is called, "Out to Lunch." The Department of Housing and Marriott Food Services have partnered to create this program for faculty and students. If you take a student to lunch to discuss an assignment or if a student wants to take you to lunch to get to know you better, they can do that at no charge to you as a faculty member for that meal. This is a new service available and I wanted to make all of you aware of it so that you can have some different types of meaningful interaction with students. I want to thank you for this time. If you have questions let me know. There are phone numbers on these posters. Just give us a holler and we will help you get connected. Thank you.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Okay. Take a student to lunch. Thank you.

VIII. Announcements.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Post-tenure review will be on the agenda for informal discussion in the quasi committee of the whole at the next Faculty Senate meeting. I hope to see you all here, hope to see more of you here, and I hope to see more of your colleagues here. Meeting adjourned.

Adjourned - 4:30 p.m.


This page updated 23 February 1998 by the Office of the Faculty Senate,
and copyright 1998, The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina.
URL http://www.sc.edu/faculty/senate/98/agenda/0204.min.html