FACULTY SENATE MEETING

April 7, 1999 

 

 

I. Call to Order.

 

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – At the present time we still do not have a quorum. A graduate student luncheon is being held and so we will wait for a few people to come. A quorum is now present so we will begin our meeting.

 

 

II. Approval of Minutes.

 

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Are there any corrections for the minutes? Any corrections for the minutes? Would the unidentified senators please go to Peggy who will be happy to take your name so that you will be recorded for posterity? We don’t want to miss your pearls of wisdom or who to attribute them to. You know how those footnotes that say unattributable source. Any corrections to the minutes? Hearing none I’ll order them approved as printed.

 

III. Reports of Officers.

 

PRESIDENT PALMS:

Thank you very much. Most of what I would like to say will be said by the Provost giving good news about academic accomplishments.

Let me just remind you that the legislators are in session and that the House has completed an appropriation bill. But the Senate Finance Committee as you read in yesterday’s paper and this morning’s paper, istrying to put together a budget that is balanced. In the House so far, fully-funded salary increase for our employees. For classified employees, the House proposed a 2% cost of living increase effective 1 July plus another 2% on average for merits added each year to the employee’s anniversary date. We hope to do better in the Senate so if you have some friends that are senators, particularly from our two counties here, I would encourage you to contact them and promote this particular bill for higher education. The House budget proposes $21,000,000 in new performance funding or a 1 % for all of higher education. We certainly wanted to have more than that from the Senate. The House is also considering a proposal that would require the state to evaluate whether performance funding is really achieving its objectives and we certainly would support that evaluation. At this time the House and Senate agree on our request to fund the School of Health building with a $3 million contribution and the Law School building with a $5,000,000 contribution. The House and Senate also are supporting funding for the Fitness and Wellness Center, the Arena, and important projects for Beaufort, Sumter, and the Union campuses. We will continue to put forth our goals and funding objectives as the Senate resolves its budget and joint committees work to create a final budget proposal. It will probably go down, as it usually does, to the last evening of the session when, after midnight in conference, they will resolve their differences.

I experienced something here for the third year in a row that I want to share with you and many of you already know about this but the minority students on campus have an annual awards ceremony evening for minority students. This is all minority students not just the black students that we have. Let me just read you a few of the accomplishments of our minority students on campus. 157 African-American undergraduates have a GPA of better than 3.5 and they were honored. 16% of all 3,100 African-American undergraduates have a GPA of 3.0 or better and 53% of all the 159 Latino undergraduates have a GPA of 3.0 and these are individually recognized and some token of recognition was given to them. I think that is such a marvelous tribute to the faculty of this campus and also to these students and many of these students have support programs. The minority students have a Minority Assistance Program called MAP and they help the freshmen get oriented to the life of the university when they first come. They have tutorial opportunities for them. The best students help the students who are struggling and it is really a national program of recognition for us.

Today we celebrate Graduate Student Day. We just finished a two-hour ceremony giving cash awards to graduate students for their projects. They were in competition and the number of graduate students is constantly increasing in participating in this program and it is really a great experience for them.

Next week at 2 o’clock we will have our Awards Ceremony on the Horseshoe and I hope that many of you will come and recognize the really best students who are graduating from the University this year. This Saturday evening is the Phi Beta Kappa initiation. I am proud to announce throughout the state that we are the only public institution that has Phi Beta Kappa. It is surprising how few students or how many students don’t really appreciate how important Phi Beta Kappa is. In the end, when they are notified that they have been selected, it takes a little nudging for them to accept. Maybe it’s the $50 initiation fee. In certain cases we have even promised to pay for that. It is probably one of the most important academic recognitions they can have. More than 115 students will be initiated, and Nora Bell, our own Nora Bell, the President of Wesleyan in Georgia will be the speaker that evening.

Some recent news about the Bicentennial Celebration. We have appointed Sally McKay as Executive Director, full-time director. Sally has a bachelor’s degree from our College of Journalism and Mass Communication and has an excellent reputation in our community as a leader. We have also hired Dr. Harry Lesesne, a recent recipient of a Ph.D. degree. His dissertation was on the history of the University of South Carolina since World War II. Writing is becoming an important need as we have this celebration, and we are pleased to have both full-time individuals be part of the celebration. This will maybe strengthen Thorne Compton’s efforts and work of the faculty, staff, and all the other volunteers working with that.

The other major financial aspect of our Bicentennial is the Bicentennial Capital Campaign. There is something involved every day with that campaign. We spent two days in Charleston this past weekend. People are hosting luncheons for us and bringing prospects to those luncheons and they want to hear about the academic progress as well as the needs. So we have three more kick-offs in the next two weeks in Anderson, South Carolina and Greenville and Spartanburg. At these kick-offs people come together who have already been designated as potential major donors to us and that is going very well.

Of course, this Saturday, for those faculty who are new here, we have the USC Showcase. This is an invitation for the entire community in Columbia to come and learn about the University. We have people come from all over the state. We appreciate all the departments participating in this and putting their stands together. People have come to enjoy a great day. They have food here. They bring their grandchildren and fortunately they provide exposure for our University.

Of course, this Friday the 7th Annual Faculty and Staff Picnic. Again hopefully the weather will be wonderful too so that we can have this on the Horseshoe. That’s my report.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Are there any questions for the President?

PROFESSOR CHARLES MACK – ART – On the 10th of March, the NBC Today Show ran a feature segment that I caught on university linked retirement communities and they focused on UVA and the University of Michigan. I was wondering if we are giving any attention to trying out the same kind of thing here.

PRESIDENT PALMS – We have not given serious enough attention to do it. We’ve heard of these programs and we are inquiring about them but we have not yet done anything. I think Virginia has a little bit more space than we have but that is something of growing interest for those people who like to be around a university but to answer your question directly we have not yet done anything formerly about it.

PROFESSOR MACK – I have another question. Rumor has it that the Law School is planning to be relocated at the corner of Pendleton and Pickens and I was wondering if there is indeed some substance to that and, if so, what is intended for Kirkland Apartments and Black House in that historic district.

PRESIDENT PALMS – The facts are that obviously we are serious about having a new Law School and the legislature has already approved $5,000,000. This would be a $30,000,000 project and we were planning to raise about $15,000,000 of that in private donations. An active campaign is going on among the 6,000 USC graduate lawyers in this state. We are looking for sites. That is certainly one site that is for consideration because it is close to the Advocacy Center. The question is what would have to happen to the current buildings or facilities on that site and that has not been addressed. There are other sites across from the Business School. There are perhaps difficulties with zoning there. So it is still an open question. I can’t answer the latter part of your question because we haven’t decided where that is going to be. That will be part of the consideration of what kind of decision we make.

PROFESSOR MACK – I would just like to urge some caution in considering Kirkland and Black House, as they are not designated in that historical district but should be and they are eligible for National Registrar status and I think some care needs to be taken about that. Thank you.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Are there any other questions? I have a question, Mr. President. That is is there any chance in getting any money for LeConte from the legislature this year.

PRESIDENT PALMS - Well, it was on the list.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – I know it was on the list.

PRESIDENT PALMS – And it is on our list as absolutely top for maintenance

so Johnny Gregory is still working on that.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – I know that was on the top. So Johnny Gregory is still working on it.

PRESIDENT PALMS - It has to be done. We will find it one way or another.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Okay. Thank you.

PROFESSOR ROY SCHWARTZMAN – THEATRE, SPEECH AND DANCE –

A quick remark about the Phi Beta Kappa situation. The Phi Beta Kappa Key Reporter unfortunately gave our University unwanted international level attention by pointing out the large numbers of students here who are invited to become members of Phi Beta Kappa who do not accept the invitation, thinking that it is a social fraternity or something like that. Unfortunately we were mentioned by name as one of the highest refusal rates of Phi Beta Kappa invitees among large universities in the country. I would just like to suggest perhaps there could be some better communication (not surprisingly I am offering a recommendation for better communication) between Phi Beta Kappa, particularly the faculty representatives and student officers, and those of us who are members of Phi Beta Kappa. For example, we didn’t even receive invitations to the Phi Beta Kappa installation ceremony. I think we can do a better job promoting this organization on campus because there are several of us who are members and can inform students better if the lines of communication were a little more open with faculty.

PRESIDENT PALMS – The faculty hears this clearly?

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Yes, I think so.

PROFESSOR INA ROY – PHILOSOPHY – I was wondering if we had comparisons for the minority students say from five years ago to see how much they improved in terms of the numbers who have above a 3.5 GPA if they are easily accessible someplace.

PRESIDENT PALMS – I don’t if we have kept that data. Have we, Jerry?

PROVOST ODOM – I think we can get that data.

 

PRESIDENT PALMS - You know we have a high percentage of minorities and the one thing that we have done—we are in the top five in the country presently graduating our minorities and that is a real issue nationally. So we stand in good stead there.

PROFESSOR ROY - I just wondered how we were doing.

PRESIDENT PALMS – Well, you can tell. You have raised the admissions standards three times in the last four years and the average SAT of the regularly admitted baccalaureate student is 1100 and we still have 18% black students. They are coming from the best urban high schools in South Carolina—Charleston, Greenville and Spartanburg and Aiken.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – I suggest the faculty Phi Beta Kappa group might want to and bid for a site for Greek housing on campus. That way we may be able to increase the acceptance rate. Mr. Provost.

PROVOST JEROME ODOM:

Thank you, Don. I really do have a lot of good news today and look forward to relaying that to you. As the President said this is a very busy month. April in my mind is the busiest month of the year but it is also the most gratifying month of the year. He mentioned Graduate Student Day today—the posters and the presentations and then the luncheon was a wonderful thing. I would like to thank Marcia Welsh, Richard Lawhon and their entire staff for a wonderful job in organizing that.

I just would like to remind you that the General Faculty meeting is later this month. That is when we recognize our faculty colleagues with a number of awards. We have a lot of award ceremonies in April but one of the most important ones I think is our General Faculty meeting where we recognize those faculty who have made very important contributions to this University and its vigorous life. We even have I think nine graduations at the end of April and the first of May across our campus system in various places. We have Ph.D. hooding. We have a number of convocations—the Medical School, the Law School, Nursing, Public Health so this is really a busy time of the year. Although sometimes we do get—at the very end we do get kind of jumpy—we say well it’s Tuesday it must be Lancaster in terms of the graduation. In fact I will never forget last year there are times when have to do two or three graduations –in fact this year we will do three graduations on a Saturday. We will go from Lancaster to Union to Spartanburg all in one day. I know there are some nasty letters in the paper right now about the use of airplanes. It really helps to be able to take the airplane. Last year we had a number of meetings and then we had the Union graduation and I asked the pilot "Do you think we will be able to fly?" He said, "No, I don’t think so. We can get in but I think the pine trees at the end of the runway have grown since last year and I am not sure we can get out." So I said," Well, let’s don’t do that." But it is a great time of year for everybody and I would urge you to urge your colleagues to come to the General Faculty meeting as we recognize our faculty colleagues with the awards that we give them. Last night, I attended the Selection Committee for the Amoco Award winner and everytime I go to that meeting I am just amazed at the number of excellent teachers that we have on this campus and the many times that they also are heavily involved in research. I think it really shows that there is a connection and we make that connection at this University in many, many cases.

I would like to recognize several programs that have been recognized nationally in U.S. News and World Report and some other publications. First of all in U.S. News and World Report our Masters in International Programs was second in the country. Our School of Library and Information Service was 15th in the country. They had three other programs in the top ten. Some more specialized programs. Our Law School went from the third tier to the second tier in of U.S. News and World Report. Our library was ranked by the Association of Research Libraries – 52nd in the country. That moved us up from 54th and if you look at some of the libraries that George Terry informed me are not university libraries in that top 52 we actually, in terms of university libraries, are in the top 50 without any problem. So I would like to thank David Shrock and his faculty in Business, Fred Roper and his faculty in Library and Information Science, John Montgomery and his faculty in the Law School, and George Terry and his staff in the library. It is just a wonderful tribute.

In terms of performance based funding, the scores have just come out on performance based funding. We are not sure yet exactly what it means in terms of our budget. They are still talking about that the Commission on Higher Education and the Legislature. But you will be happy to learn that the University ranked first among the research universities. We had a score—now they changed the score this year from a percentage score to a score based on three being the maximum. We had a 2.76, Clemson had a 2.68 and the Medical University of South Carolina had a 2.21. Of our five regional campuses—Beaufort had a 2.74, Lancaster had 2.55, Salkehatchie had 2.13, Sumter had a 2.61 and Union had 2.61. I don’t know scores of other institutions at this time but we are pleased that we scored as we did and now will try very hard to have that converted into some kind of a financial reward if we can do that.

There are three people I would like to recognize today. As we know in any organization of this size that is a dynamic organization, we have people who come and people who go. The person who is coming to our campus is Chris Plyler who has been dean at USC-Beaufort and will now take over as Executive Dean for Regional Campuses and Continuing Education. I can’t tell you what a good job Carolyn West has done as interim in that position. I look forward to her continuing in that office and working for our Regional Campuses and our Continuing Education programs.

As most of you probably know, Dr. Marsha Torr has accepted a position as Vice Chancellor for Research at the University of Nebraska. I would like to thank Marsha for all her positive contributions to this University in terms of our external funding. We need to move very quickly with a search. Currently I have offered interim to a particular individual. We are still working on that. I have also formed a search committee that will be chaired by Gary Crawley who is the dean of Science and Math. Gary, if you would let them know who you are. If you have any nominees at all, anybody that I can call or that Gary can call we are anxious to move forward on that front. Other people who will serve on that committee are Ralph White in Engineering, Jean Ann Linney in Psychology, Sonya Duhe in Journalism, Louis Terracio in the Medical School, and Tom Chandler in Public Health. Those are the ones that I remember. So the committee will try to work very hard, very quickly to have a replacement for Marsha.

Another person who is leaving us is David Shrock who is dean of the Darla Moore School of Business. Dave has accepted the dean of the business school at Marquette University. I would like to thank him also for all of his contributions to the Darla Moore School of Business and to the University of South Carolina.

And other people who are coming—I am really very pleased to tell you of an appointment at the full professor level in history of Dr. Dan Littlefield who is an African American historian at the University of Illinois. He has a national if not an international reputation. He will join us in the fall as a full professor in history. His wife will join us as an assistant professor. We also have an offer outstanding in history to an African American woman from the University of Maryland, Sharon Harley, who will be a wonderful addition to our faculty if she accepts. We have an acceptance from an African American assistant professor in history. Bobby Donaldson from Emory who we feel is quite a catch for the University of South Carolina.

If you are not aware the Office of the Provost has a minority recruitment fund. I provide half the salary for a minority hire and I have $205,000 in that fund. All those funds are committed for next year and we are already making commitments for the following year. The President and I have talked and we basically have come to the conclusion that we simply have to try to increase the amount of funding that is available, but I think that we will be very, very successful next year.

Our fellowships office is having a wonderful year. I don’t have a full report for you today but I will at the next Faculty Senate meeting. I would like to tell you that we just learned that two of fifty State Farm Exceptional Student Awards have been won by University students—Timothy Hardy and Brian Eovito both junior business majors have won those awards. Novella has informed me that we have been very successful with National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowships and I will try to have all of that for you next time.

 

Finally, student recruitment for next year seems to be going very well and I would like to thank those of you who have been involved in helping recruit students. We have given the deans names and SAT scores, addresses, phone numbers of students and we have asked the deans then to ask the faculty to contact those students that are excellent prospects. The faculty has done that. This is a crucial time so if you have any names on your desks that deans or your chairs have asked you to call please do so because this is when a lot of people are making up their mind, particularly scholarship students. Those are the ones that are very important to us. We have made scholarship offers currently totaling almost 2,000 offers to students in our freshmen class. In the last couple of years we have had a wonderful yield rate. When you make a scholarship offer, of course, you expect a particular yield rate. We have had yields around 40% and that is up substantially which means that we are spending a lot of money. But that is a great problem to have when a lot of your students to whom you have made scholarship offers accept. Right now we have 881 applicants for the Honors College. We have accepted 508. Their average SAT score is 1375. Fifty finalists for the Carolina Scholars had an average SAT score 1433 and those students will be accepting now as we get closer to the April 15th deadline. We are very anxious but we are hopeful and very optimistic.

We had a wonderful dinner for our first class of McNair Scholars this past week. Those are some really exciting out-of-state students. The McNair Scholarship Program are all out-of-state full ride students. They are from a dozen different states. Just walking around and talking to the students was exciting for me. We had a dinner at the Caroliniana Library which is a wonderful place for a small dinner if you can talk Allen Stokes into letting you use it.

We have also made offers to McNair Scholars to another ten. Last year, we expected to bring in ten but we brought in fifteen because of the yield. Again you make a certain number of offers thinking that will bring in a certain number and we were very, very successful with that. This is a really important time in our cycle of recruiting students for next year. So any help that you can give us would be appreciated.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Any questions for the Provost?

PROFESSOR DOROTHY DISTERHEFT – ENGLISH – I hate to rain on your parade Mr. Provost since you had so many wonderful announcements but you did send out a memo to department chairs and program directors about textbook orders on March 16th which we all—at least in the English Department—find very, very troubling. The most troubling point well actually it is a directive and let me quote from your memo: "The department head will insure that the same textbooks are used for multiple sections of a course. This is to ensure that students enrolled in different sections of the same course receive essentially the same textbook information." Now first of all, I am not sure whether you think that it is a good thing for students to all have the same information but we are not clear on why it is a good thing for students to all have the same information especially if it is at the expense of faculty freedom to choose their own textbooks. The second point that has a number of us in a tail spin is that on the first page of your memo on the bottom of page 1 and under no. 1 there is one sentence there that says "Individual faculty members shall not place orders for textbooks directly with any bookstore." Now this would be very problematic for a number of us because for instance in freshmen English classes, say English 102, that were offered this semester, in all fifty-three sections there were at least one student in some sections—sometimes eight students—that did not have their required textbooks because of policy of underordering that Russell House usually follows. Also in 400 level classes that I teach if I were to depend upon the efficiency of Russell House I would not have textbooks for all my students. So I personally feel I need to contact South Carolina Bookstore directly to make sure that they order enough. So I was wondering if you could comment on these two policies that you have detailed here; have you rethought them perhaps?

PROVOST ODOM – Well, I have actually had to do some rethinking. Let me just tell you first of all what we are trying to do. We are trying to serve the students and we have had a number of conversations about the bookstore at the Russell House on how we can solve some of the problems that seem to exist. What we would like to have is books available at all of the bookstores. We would like to have the books on time and have enough available for every student that needs them. At the same time, one of the things that I have mentioned, maybe not to this group, but to a number of groups is that one of the problems I just discussed is the expense of our scholarship program. We pay for scholarships through a number of ways but one of those is through a very generous situation we have with the bookstore where almost all of the money that they make save their small profit, goes to scholarships at the University. So we would like to sell as many books as we can through the bookstore. At the same time realizing that there are other bookstores that exist—their competition—and we need to serve those bookstores as well. So in talking to the people at the University Bookstore they assured us that if they got an order that that order would immediately also go to the other bookstores. Now that has not happened as quickly as I would like. I have had this discussion the day before yesterday concerning why not? If you are going to help us then you really need to help. They are aware of our concerns. I don’t want those orders to back up and then a pile go two weeks later. I want them to go that day. So Richard Wertz is working very closely with this situation and I told Richard two days ago, "Richard, if we have these problems I am not going to do this. We are not just going to go this way."

Now with respect to the same book for different sections—I guess in most cases that I know if you have a particular section of a course and that course has a number then the same book is used.

PROFESSOR DISTERHEFT - Except in the College of Liberal Arts. It is very different

from your college. These are individual free standing courses.

PROVOST ODOM – Yes, I understand that.

PROFESSOR DISTERHEFT – Perhaps you could send a memo clarifying that misunderstanding. That would be important.

PROVOST ODOM – Yes, I think I should. Thank you very much.

JENNIFER BREWER – RUSSELL HOUSE BOOKSTORE – I am actually a representative from the Russell House Bookstore and if anybody has any questions about the policies and procedures I would be glad to answer anyone’s questions or if you have any concerns I would be more than happy to answer any of those.

PROVOST ODOM – Thank you, Jennifer. I looked for Richard but I didn’t see him. But we have had some problems with delays and Richard I think has tried to address those.

JENNIFER BREWER – Yes, he has. But one thing that I would like to point out about the delays. We have mailboxes set up in our store specifically for Adams and South Carolina Bookstore to pick them up. Right now, I would say that those mailboxes are full. Both of the bookstores are aware of the procedures and it is their responsibility to retrieve their mail from the bookstore. I don’t know—other than us letting them know or Dr. Wertz letting them know that the mailboxes are available I am not sure where we should go from there.

PROVOST ODOM – I think we need to work on the process a little bit.

PROFESSOR MORGAN MACLACHMAN – ANTHROPOLOGY – A couple of months ago I raised a question regarding the slowness of the Garnet server for the college of Liberal Arts. That problem not only appears to persist but it has gotten worse. I was wondering what measures were being taken to ameliorate that situation. Some of us are at the point where the remedy that we are likely to use is go off campus to an ISP at home or some other place in order to be able to have reliable email.

PROVOST ODOM – Morgan, after you asked me this question two months ago I contacted Dave Cowen to talk to him about this. Was it the server problem or were there other things that were the problem? I can tell you that David assured me that we could try to work on the problem. One of the problems that he pointed out that he was trying to deal with at that time was that faculty in Liberal Arts seem to want to leave every email that they ever got in the server and so there is a tremendous backlog of email sitting on that server. He told me that he had appealed to the faculty to please start clearing out their email files. He really did not think that it was the server. He didn’t mention the server at all. I don’t know, but John Olsgaard is not here. I had John work with David on what we could. George.

DR. GEORGE TERRY – VICE PROVOST AND DEAN FOR LIBRARIES AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS – The Provost was quite willing to pay to have the building rewired if that was the problem and David Cowen said it was not the problem. We sent folks over there and we are using money out of CS to upgrade that server. Dr. Cowen also has plans for next year to get a new server for the college.

PROVOST ODOM – We certainly will work with you and David to try to alleviate the problem.

JONATHAN SHARPE – STUDENT LIAISON – Dr. Odom, if I may return to the bookstore issue. I contacted the bookstore and they told me it was against their corporate policy to mention how much money they actually can give to university scholarships so I was wondering perhaps you could tell us what the gross donation is or percentage of profits that actually go to scholarships.

PROVOST ODOM – You have asked me that question before and I haven’t got the answer. I will work on it harder.

JONATHAN SHARPE – I would appreciate it.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Are there any other questions?

PROFESSOR JOHN SPURRIER – STATISTICS – Jerry, about three months ago you said that the noisy fans in our classrooms in Leconte would be replaced separate from the bond bill.

PROVOST ODOM – Yes.

PROFESSOR SPURRIER – We continue to have difficulty. Today, I had the option of having the students hear me or sweating. It is a tough choice. Just imagine the air conditioning turned off here today. We really need this done. Can you tell us what is going on on this?

PROVOST ODOM – I thought that was done, John. I thought the fans had been identified and were being replaced. However, last night I was in LeConte 213 and I did a lot of sweating.

PROFESSOR SPURRIER – Good.

PROVOST ODOM – We alternated with sweating and turning the fans on so that we could talk. So I understand the problem but I will check on that right away because I had been assured that that was happening. We will be paying a lot of attention to LeConte even though we are not sure yet we are going to get the money. I think I have told you we are going to replace all the furniture in the classrooms this summer. We will paint the classrooms. We will replace all the blackboards. So we will be paying attention to it. This is one that I thought had been taken care of so I appreciate you bringing that to my attention.

PROFESSOR DAVID WILES – THEATRE, SPEECH AND DANCE – Is the minority hiring fund—does that support salary in the first year or does that support salary on an ongoing basis?

PROVOST ODOM - Ongoing basis. That is recurring.

PROFESSOR LESLIE JO FRAZIER – HISTORY – I just wanted to clarify that the History Department has been very fortunate in recruiting Belinda Littlefield, an assistant professor of history for her excellent work on African American women school teachers in the U.S. south. Enjoyed the support of your office.

PROVOST ODOM – Thank you very much.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Any other questions for the Provost? Thank you very much.

You mean all those emails just don’t spin in orbit out there. That’s where I thought that went.

 

III. Faculty Senate Steering Committee, Professor Sarah Wise:

 

PROFESSOR SARAH WISE – No report.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Yes, we do. We have the by-laws to change.

That comes from Steering. It is on the first page of the agenda past the minutes.

Oh, I’m sorry. It slipped my mind we have some more officers – Dan Barron and Peter Becker on the SACS Reaccreditation.

PROFESSOR PETER BECKER – It is springtime -- and SACS abounds. SACS in Atlanta is the accrediting agency that requires us to renew our license to operate as a university every ten years. Because it takes us about 2 years to collect the data for our institutional self-study, we are beginning the process now. Dan and I are in the process of visiting every college in order to talk to as many of the deans, department chairs, and faculty as we can so that everyone will understand what we need to do. SACS has established over 400 criteria with which we must comply in order to receive reaffirmation of accreditation.

This is primarily numerical and statistical information that we shall gather during the next year and a half. It involves the entire university from administration down to the lowliest staff member. It also involves faculty and students, graduate studies, undergraduate studies, research, finances, and the physical plant. It is our intention to submit a draft report to SACS by the end of the year 2000. SACS, having read our report, will then send a visiting team in Spring 2001 in order to verify the information that we have sent in. We hope that SACS will then continue our accreditation by June 2001.

We are interested in hearing not only from deans and department chairs when we ask for information, but also from faculty so that we can get a well-rounded picture of where the university is at this point and where we may be going in the five years after 2001. We shall make every effort to keep you up to date. by the way of a website and periodic publication of information on the self-study in the USC Times.

This study is different from those in the past. There is the Institutional Effectiveness part that I lead, and there is also a separate strategic study about which Dan Barron will tell you.

PROFESSOR DAN BARRON – We do want to make SACS as interesting as possible on the campus without it being in the news. SACS as you probably know is the regional accrediting body and it has served a very good purpose for many institutions of higher education including our own because often times institutions of higher education go along day after day after day, year after year after year. They sometimes forget about taking a look at their strategic self. The whole university community or the whole college community is not involved in taking a look at their mission and objectives, where they want to go, where they want to take the university, in fact, college or whatever or understand where they actually are.

Well in 1993, SACS decided there were some institutions of great quality that perhaps the traditional self-study was more of a ritualistic naval gazing for the whole university community and the same goals could be accomplished by a smaller group of people who gather the data and put the data together into a self-study and present that to SACS for review. Well, that is Peter’s part of this decade’s self-study. What SACS has offered is for institutions that believe that they are in substantial compliance with these 400 must statements to give them the opportunity to propose an alternative. Now I emphasize the word "propose". This past year, seven institutions proposed alternative self-studies and only three were allowed to go with those self-studies. We are one of the three. The self-study this year came as a result of the Office of the Provost and the President working with the Faculty Advisory Committee and other faculty committees across the university and the focus on information technology. By the way all of this will be available as Peter said the entire report, the entire proposal, in fact the faculty briefs that we will be taken to the departments to each unit and to each regional campus will be available on the website. Thanks to Larry Wood who is doing a feature for us in the upcoming Times and who has also agreed for us to have a regular column in Times to keep you updated as to where we are and what we are doing including minutes, including processes, including hopefully successes in this whole process that will be available to you.

Today what we wanted to do is announce this and let you know where we are going and opening up the conversation for any questions that you would like for today. But the title of our proposal and by the way a steering committee was pulled together that represented Faculty Senate and other major faculty focused groups on campus and the regional campuses of the University are in this century advancing the university using information technology. The idea being to play off on President Palms’ challenge to us that we should be within the top five of public institutions in the southeast as far as the application of information technology to instruction. That is a considerable challenge. As we just heard today there are things that are going on around the campus we need to overcome. There are things that the faculty need to get involved in from the bottom up to help us build this system so that we can in fact be not only five but even better. The concept being to accomplish our mission and I will read the goal. "The goal of the University of South Carolina self-study is to determine opportunities and patterns for growth among USC faculty, student, staff and administration related to appropriate information technology applications including distance education, technologically enhanced learning and desktop information access and dissemination." In the advancement of the University’s mission of teaching, research and service, there will be in addition to the major steering committee several subcommittees that we have just sent to the Office of the President for his approval and when we get that approval the members of the steering committee will be asked to serve by the President and then we will establish subcommittees who will look at faculty issues, student issues. In fact, we are proposing to look at a number of different student issues including alternative learners which might speak to one of the points that was raised earlier meeting. The idea being that we have since the early 60’s the University of South Carolina has been seen nationally and internationally as a leader in information technology especially for distance education. Unlike many other universities, the administration developed or provided opportunities for this information infrastructure to be built. It hasn’t mandated how that information infrastructure should be used. Individual units have used it in different ways and have been given the opportunity to exercise this over creative and innovative ways. Some have elected to and some have elected not to and that is okay. The idea is if we can develop a common vision that will help support us whether it is servers or whether it is distance education or whether it reaching around the globe. Those are the kinds of things to look for and again involving the entire university community in this effort not just a small committee at the top. So again the self-study process that SACS has traditionally had for the entire university involved in gathering of these data and statistics related to the mission goal. Instead what we are doing is to take a smaller group of people to do that and a larger group to look at where we are going with it. That is the Columbia campus and the five campuses of the university. USC-Aiken and USC-Spartanburg have their own self-study independently. So with that any questions?

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Any questions? None. Thank you very much.

PROVOST ODOM – I have just one comment not having directly to do with that but we are currently in the strategic planning process and the budget process this year and I would like just to call to the faculty’s attention the strategic plan of every college in the university can be accessed from the Provost’s homepage. So if you would like to see what’s happening in another college that strategic plan is available to you through the university’s homepage and I urge you to have a look at that.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - So if you want to know what the competition is doing for those scarce dollars, check out the other colleges.

PROFESSOR SARAH WISE – On page 19 of your agenda there is the amendment concerning the summer senate meeting. The change there will be adding "provided however that for the summer meeting a quorum shall consist of the members present." because we have had some problems in the summer with a quorum so I would move that proposal.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – On behalf of the committee it doesn’t need a second. It was placed before you at the last meeting pursuant to the bylaws of the Faculty Senate. Is there any discussion? This requires a 2/3 vote to amend the bylaws.

PROFESSOR MACLACHAN - Just a question for clarification. This means then in effect that such matters of the provisions of the Faculty Manual could be changed at the meeting by six people.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - The provisions of the Faculty Manual that pertain to the faculty governance and so forth can only by changed by the faculty not the faculty senate. Is there any discussion? Any amendments? Hearing none, are you ready to vote?

Ready for the question? All those in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. No. I rule the ayes have it. Does any one want a divison? Hearing none, thank you, it passes.

B. Grade Change Committee, Professor Ernest Wiggins, Chair:

PROFESSOR WIGGINS – The recommended grade changes are on pages 20-22 of the agenda. I move their approval.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Thank you. Are there any questions or comments on the motion? Are you ready for the question? All in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. The motion passes.

C. Curricula and Courses Committee, Professor William G. Jacoby,

Chair:

PROFESSOR JACOBY – The material from the Curricula and Courses Committee, begins on page 23 at the end of the agenda. There isn’t too much there today. The first item is in the College of Liberal Arts – the Department of Military Science would like to institute a minor in military science. I would like to go ahead and move that.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Are there any questions? Are you ready for the question? All in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Motion passes.

PROFESSOR JACOBY – The second item is from the College of Nursing, a new course they are proposing NURS 327. I will go ahead and move that.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – You have heard the motion. Is there any discussion? Ready for the question. All in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Motion passes.

PROFESSOR JACOBY - The third item, the College of Pharmacy is the only lengthy item on this set of proposals from the committee. There are a number of changes, deletions, changes in description, changes in hours and descriptions, curriculum changes.

I would like to go ahead and move these as a group here.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Is there any objection?

UNIDENTIFIED SENATOR – There is a typographical error in PHRM 576 the word "dissease" should be "disease".

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Editorial suggestion noted. Are you ready for the question?

All those in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Motion passes.

PROFESSOR JACOBY – The last item from the School of Public Health is a change in prerequisites for EXSC 223. They are listed there. I move that as well.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – You heard the motion.

PROFESSOR MALISSA MARTIN – PHYSICAL EDUCATION – Just a question.

I notice BIOL 102L is required. Is BIOL 102 required? Or is it just the lab? And also does that mean BIOL 101 is required—is that a prerequisite for 102?

PROFESSOR JACOBY - I’m sorry BIOL 102 should have been in there along with 102L and 101 is a prerequisite for 102 which is why it is not listed there.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Do we need an amendment?

PROFESSOR JACOBY – Could we just add that in there editorially? It should have been there.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – With the notation that BIOL 102 should be in the motion. Is there any further discussion? Are you ready for the question? All those in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Motion passes.

D. Faculty Advisory Committee, Professor Margit Resch, Chair:

PROFESSOR RESCH – Well, I just want to whet your appetite for the General Faculty meeting to come on April 29th when the Faculty Advisory Committee is going to propose several changes for the Faculty Manual specifically regarding committees. As you know there are three different types of committees. Those appointed by the President and the Provost over which we have no say whatsoever, and then those who are called faculty committees but are really Faculty Senate Committees—that is they are appointed by our chair of the Senate, and then there are faculty elected committees. And we are going to propose that the Faculty Senate Committees appointed by the chair of the Senate be changed to elected committees. We will propose the abolition of several committees. I will not tell you what they are because that way perhaps you will read the agenda. We are going to propose some deletions, some additions to various committees in terms of their assignment as well as in terms of their membership. We are going to propose a couple of issues affecting the election of committees and the membership on committees. We will not yet propose the editorial changes that I have been announcing several times to our Faculty Manual because our subcommittee so ably composed of Henry Price, Journalism; Gregory Adams from Law, and Ben Franklin from English, because they are still working on them and will probably make a proposal to the committee within this semester. So those will be then proposed at the next General Faculty meeting in December, rather September—I am being corrected here by our chair-elect of the Faculty Senate. We will next year continue to work on the Faculty Manual on more substantive, one would consider more substantive changes, and the subcommittee is going to provide us a long list of such changes. Now I would like to encourage you to contact us if you have any suggestions for substantive changes within the Faculty Manual so that we can do them all at once and perhaps in the year 2000 issue a published version of our Faculty Manual. At the moment, the present -- the current version is only on the web. The printed version that you have has been revised several times, and so it is really quite outdated. Did I forget anything, Professor Wedlock?

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - I don’t think so. Are there any questions or comments for the Faculty Advisory Committee? Thank you very much.

e. Faculty Welfare Committee, Professor Caroline Eastman, Chair:

PROFESSOR EASTMAN – Good afternoon. In the interest of the welfare of the faculty who are still here as well as the other administrators, staff and students, I will try to keep this very brief. We have been working on a number of issues. I will mention two at this time. We were asked to comment on a proposed data access policy that is being worked on by the University. We have expressed some concern relating to two faculty issues. One is distribution of information about faculty, which appears will remain much the same as it has been. The other is faculty access to information that we need to do our jobs, particularly access to student information, which we sincerely hope will not become more difficult in the future than it is now.

The other is some good news. We are in the process of setting up a faculty welfare fund. We are working with some of the Family Fund people so this would be funded in part from contributions to the Family Fund. There would be a separate category. The details are not finalized. Someone will let you know when and if these become final. This fund would cover modest amounts of expenditures on issues that would benefit faculty. One particular example is that this would allow flu shots for faculty to be handled on much the same basis as staff, which will remove something that has been an annoyance for a number of people. Again there will be more details forthcoming about this. We are fairly certain that this will in fact come about for the coming year. One consequence is that you, as faculty, will be asked to consider making contributions not to just your unit but also to this fund when you make contributions to the Family Fund. Any questions?

F. Admissions Committee, Professor Stephen McNeill, Chair:

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – At the last meeting we approved a statement that an increase in the admissions requirements. I noticed Clemson got some press on that but we didn’t. We did the same thing Clemson, did and they got an article in the paper on how they are raising their standards. Nevertheless we did it. The requirements went from 16 to 20 hours of credit as divided us. One of those hours being for physical education or ROTC. What we didn’t do was the addition? That is to say in the Undergraduate Bulletin there is a line under the 19 hours listed prior to the 1 hour for physical education and that used to be 15 hours that were required. The line in the Undergraduate Bulletin says, "Above credits shall be earned with a grade of C or better." So now we have 19 in that list but only a line that says 15. So if no one has any objections then I am simply going to order that somebody do the arithmetic and come up with the proper sum so when we send out the Undergraduate Bulletin it doesn’t look like we don’t know how to add and subtract. Is there any objection? So ordered.

G. Scholastic Standards and Petitions Committee, Professor James Day,

Chair:

PROFESSOR DAY – No report.

H. Other Committees.

None

 

V. Report of the Secretary.

 

PROFESSOR SARAH WISE – I would just like to remind everyone when you receive the comments from today’s meeting Peggy would like them back in three days because we have a really short turn around this time in terms of the meeting at the end of the month.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – That’s a lot, I mean that’s not much, I mean, it is a lot to do in 3 days.

 

VI. Unfinished Business.

None.

 

VII. Old Business.

None.

 

VIII. Remarks for Good of the Order.

 

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Richard?

PROFESSOR RICHARD CONANT – I have a cold. I’m trying to save my voice.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Sorry to hear that.

PROFESSOR CONANT – I’m saving my voice.

 

 

IX. Announcements.

 

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – We have some important ... Mr. Sharpe.

JONATHAN SHARPE – STUDENT LIAISON - I just have a few things. First of all

there will be a new student liaison person. She was here but she had to leave in order to make it to the Student Senate meeting. Her name is Leigh Anne Travers and she is in the Honors College, a marketing major. She will be taking over my place at the next Faculty Senate meeting.

There was one last item of business in the last Senate session and that was we decided to make a resolution about the addition of minus grades to our system. The proposal that floated about last year. The student body is strongly against that and we just encourage you not to bring to the floor of the Faculty Senate.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - Well, I’m sorry we’ve already passed it. Someone may make a motion to change, but we’ve passed it. It hasn’t been implemented yet because Spartanburg has not yet passed it.

JONATHAN SHARPE – It was my understanding that it has to pass at all the satellite campuses in order to actually take place.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK - That is correct. But as soon as Spartanburg does it you can expect to see the minuses. When the Registrar finally gets the system going.

JONATHAN SHARPE - If Spartanburg decides not to pass that will that motion be vetoed?

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – No. Everybody is on board but Spartanburg. It is only a matter of time. You need to go up to Spartanburg and lobby them.

JONATHON SHARPE – So there has been no veto by Spartanburg.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – No.

PROFESSOR CAROLINE STROBEL – I would like to say that if Spartanburg should pass it, I will reintroduce it next year to the Senate after sufficient notice so it can be discussed in the departments for another vote for the Columbia campus.

PROFESSOR DAVID WILES – THEATRE, SPEECH AND DANCE – This seems to be the perfect time to announce the Department of Theatre, Speech and Dance will be opening its final production of its season next Thursday, Romeo and Juliet which is actually not set on the Spartanburg campus. We have a large cast of students from our graduate training program in acting and MFA program and a large group of undergraduates and directed by guest director from one of the leading classical companies in the country. If this interests you, move now, our Shakespeare tends to sell out early and it should be a spectacular production.

CHAIRMAN WEDLOCK – Thank you for that announcement and forewarning.

Any other announcements? We do have a lot to do at the April meeting when we will be recognizing our colleagues for the work they have put in not only for this year but for lots of years past. I hope you urge your colleagues to come. We also have the amendments to the Faculty Manual to talk about. That usually stirs some interest. Anything else? If not meeting adjourned.

Meeting adjourned at 4:18.


This page updated 21 April 1999 by the Office of the Faculty Senate,
and copyright 1999, The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina.
URL http://www.sc.edu/faculty/senate/99/minutes/0407.minutes.html