FACULTY SENATE MEETING

June 29, 1999

I. Call to Order.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT CAROLINE STROBEL – If I could have your attention, I would like to call the meeting to order.

II. Correction and Approval of Minutes.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Is there a motion to approve the minutes?

- So moved.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Is there a second?

-Seconded.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Are there any corrections to the minutes? The minutes stand approved as printed.

III. Reports of Officers.

PRESIDENT JOHN B. PALMS:

        Thank you, Madam Chairman. Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I am impressed to see a quorum here in the middle of the summer. We haven’t always had that. I know people are in the mood for the 4th of July weekend but the legislature is still in session and as you know the good news is that last week when the budget was revised there was some additional money in for higher education and the budget actually has been signed. The challenge for us at this point in the budget process is that the Commission on Higher Education has not yet formally released how they are going to allocate this extra money and as you may have read in the newspaper there has been some controversy about this. Last fall the Council of Presidents in October and then later on the Executive Committee of the Council of Presidents (I happen to be the chair of the Council of Presidents this year) agreed that, providing that $63,000,000 of new money would be allocated to higher education, we would support $10,000,000 of that giving to makeup for some of the deficiencies that some of the schools felt has been in existence since 1990 because of enrollment inequities in various schools. A couple of schools that had experienced high enrollments as we were moving over to performance funding felt like we didn’t have an equitable level playing field. We need to address that. Now nine years ago we were moving away from enrollment-based funding and knew performance would be the key. The legislation for this year says explicitly that all of the money for higher education must be allocated based on performance funding of the new formula, which is not emphasizing enrollment. But nevertheless because we thought, well, if the $63,000,000 comes about we will try to make up for some of that. Well there was not $63,000,000, it was $28,000,000. And so we felt that this was not going to be done but a presentation was made in front of the Board of the Commission on Higher Education that explained incorrectly that the Council of Presidents had supported $10,000,000 coming off the top without the $63,000,000 being mentioned and the CHE took that action and we have been opposing that action and trying to resolve the controversy. So that has not been resolved yet. The Trustees are working with this administration in trying to get this resolved. That may not be done until the end of this week and we have raised very serious questions about that. But I want the Provost to really outline for you where we are in the budget. Except for that one matter, this would really be a fairly good budget for us. Both as far as the bond bill is concerned and the operational aspects of the budget for higher education, I will let him do that.

        You may have heard we are not able to conclude the search for the dean of the School of Business. We’re working with the search committee and with the faculty of the School of Business. They made recommendations for individuals who might serve in the interim dean position. At the same time we are bringing one candidate on the campus for a brief meeting with the committee sometime in the near future and then we are working again with our head hunting firm. We will continue to search until we find the right individual to head that. In the meantime, the Provost is acting dean during the summer and that may speed up the search a little bit. This is his first experience with the faculty.

        That’s my report, Madam Chairman. The Provost has most of the report for the academic areas of the University.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL - Are there any questions for the President?

PROVOST JEROME D. ODOM:

        Thank you very much, Madam Chair. I am speaking to you solely as the Provost and not as any kind of an acting dean. I know that there are about a third of you whose term is ending today and I would like to take this opportunity first of all to thank those people who are rotating off, first of all for your willingness to serve as senators and secondly, for the work you have given the Senate and the University during your term.

        Let me talk to you about the budget – just a little bit. We pretty much know where we are with respect to the budget except for some additional money that the Commission will distribute. But the budget really builds on the progress that we have made at this University over the last several years and really builds on what we consider the University’s priorities. Those priorities are attracting and retaining outstanding undergraduate and graduate students, recruiting superb faculty at all levels and retaining those faculty, expanding our research funding, attracting private support, raising the stature of our library, and improving technology within the University.

        One of the things that I think discourages the President and me when we look at the state support for higher education--is the level of support. Also, the fact that we see no signs that the level will increase and, in fact, will probably decrease. As the President told you earlier, we are certainly fighting for our fair share of that. We worked very hard and there are people in this room who were of great help to us in getting the bond bill passed. The bond bill for the University was very important first of all for some money for an addition to our School of Public Health. Our School of Public Health faculty as you may know are scattered all over campus and off-campus. I think there are about 18 different places and they desperately need some new laboratories and renovated laboratories as well as classrooms. The bond bill will provide $3 million for that. The University will provide some and we will provide some through private donations. This is one of the things we have consistently done when we go to the legislature and talk to them about funding facilities at this University. We are asking them to partner with us. Some of the universities in the state want the state to provide all the money. We are willing to provide part of the money through either the university bonding capacity, through private support, raising money and simply ask the state to partner with us. That is exactly what we are doing with the new addition to the School of Public Health. There is also some money in there for the Wellness Center. There is some money for a new Law School. There is some money for a new arena. Our biggest disappointment was that a request for money to renovate LeConte College did not occur and we will continue to work on that. We had also asked for funds for a children’s development center and we had asked for some money to do some work through campus. There is a Rocky Ford Creek and many of you know that floods particularly in the lower part of campus around the PE Center and the School of Engineering and we needed some help working on that area as well.

        Right now, our new money from the state totals a little bit over $4,000,000. I would like to take this opportunity to tell you that in terms of performance funding our performance funding score, the score that the University received and that you certainly had a part in determining, our score was the highest of any university in the research sector and it was the highest of any institution also among the four-year colleges. So we did very well in our score. We would have done much better in the amount of money that we had received had the Commission not decided to take $10,000,000 off the top to give to schools that had had significant enrollment increases over the last ten years.

        One of the things that the President has done very well this year, I think, is to deliver the message not only to the legislature but to our Board and to anybody else that listens what is happening with our competition in schools in the southeast. We particularly, of course, are looking at other schools in the Southeastern Conference and we also have our seven peer institutions that we follow. Three Southeastern Conference universities—Georgia, Kentucky and Vanderbilt—have proposed raising salaries 4% this year. Auburn proposes 5%. Mississippi has realized what they have to do to catch up. They are proposing a 9% faculty raise this year. Mississippi State, at least 9 %.

        In terms of what we have proposed to the Board, we are hoping that in addition to the 4% raise that the state will be giving we will give an additional 2% so that there will be an average pool for each dean of 6% of their faculty salaries. I am preparing a letter to go out as soon as we know what is going to happen with respect to how the Commission will distribute this money. The letter says that 1% of the money can be used for compression and equity and that the other 5% should be awarded based on merit and based on annual performance. So that is the way in which we will look at raises this year—performance based raises.

        Let me just quickly describe to you the fact that we had from each of the units in academic affairs requests of almost $15,000,000 to the Provost Office and all of the strategic plans of the units appeared on the University’s Provost Homepage. We certainly appreciate Jane Olsgaard’s help in doing that. So all the strategic plans for the academic units are available so that anybody can have a look at those.

        I would like to also commend our Faculty Budget Committee. There was at least one person and almost always two or more people at every hearing when the deans’ presented their strategic plan to me and to the Associate Provosts. The Faculty Budget Committee took a very active role in that and they also took an active role in the presentations of each vice president to the President with respect to the budget. So the faculty this year had an impact on what happened and I sincerely appreciate their interest and their involvement. Bob Carlsson of Business chaired that committee and he was at many of those meetings as was Don Wedlock.

        The majority of our budget will go to improving faculty salaries and improving our facilities. We are going to have several facilities come on line—the new Graduate Sciences Center will hopefully be occupied by the end of the year; McMaster, as I understand is currently being occupied by Art and Media Arts.

        One of the things that I have been concerned about and remain concerned about. We have had some discussions in this group concerning the maintenance of our buildings, the cleanliness of our buildings. We are going to try to put some funds into that when we bring buildings online we are going to have to set money aside for operation of those buildings. As you might expect, the Graduate Sciences Center is a very expensive building to operate both from the standpoint of facilities as well as custodial help. McMaster will be the same way. I haven’t been into McMaster as renovated yet. Sandra Wertz told me today she thought I would be very pleased with what has happened. Not only have we renovated McMaster, but we have built an addition. It looks very nice from the outside.

        We have invested 52% of the new money in faculty and staff salaries and benefits, merit salary increases for faculty. As always the State never fully funds mandated salary and benefit increases and we have to pick that up.

        Some years ago we provided research incentive funds for colleges based on the amount of money that they generated. That research incentive fund, you may or may not know, provided $.25 on every dollar that the University generated. The State stopped doing that when we stopped using the formula—our old formula—and went to performance based funding. We have continued to do that internally and we will continue to try to do that as long as we can.

        We also have put new money into the Library. I think all of you know the amount of pride that we have in our library and its standing. We were 52nd this year in the ARL rankings. I think, George, if I’m not mistaken there were 3 Canadian universities and if we take them out then we were 49th . That puts us in the top 50. If you take out the private universities, we were 37th in the country among public universities. The thing that kills us with the library is inflation—inflation of serials as well as monographs, but particularly serials. I was just at a provost’s meeting of eastern provosts last week and we spent one afternoon talking about this. How are we going to maintain the libraries? The President probably doesn’t know that Nuclear Physics Journal, I think, costs $18,000 a year but you have to have it. The Journal of Brain Research I understand is $19,000 a year. The President also probably doesn’t know that it’s these private Dutch companies that are causing all these problems. So there are a lot of things that need to be talked about in the academic community right now with respect to more involvement by scientific societies and how we can hold down inflation with respect to our libraries, but we are continuing to put money in the library and it is being used very wisely.

        We are putting some money into student recruitment and enhancement of student life. We have done very well recruiting Governor’s School students and we are continuing to do that. Peter Sederberg has introduced research based learning in the Honors College. We are going to expand that. We also have some activities for our new McNair Scholars. There are a number of things that we are doing.

        And finally we put a small amount of money into our SACS Office. As you know now, we’re moving closer and closer to our site visit which will be in the spring of 2001. And your deans have received letters asking them to give us names of people to serve on committees. We are heavily into that process and I hope you will encourage your colleagues and you yourself will be involved in our SACS effort.

        So investments in faculty, academics, research and student recruitment, and enhancement total $3.8 million of the new money and that also includes the money that we will put into facilities and some deferred maintenance.

        We are going to use some one time money to start wiring, with fast ethernet, academic buildings and for those of you in the humanities in the College of Liberal Arts who have continually reminded me that there is a problem with your e mail I think that this will go a long way towards clearing that up. We will start with the largest academic buildings, but I think Stan Yarborough already knows that Gambrell and the Humanities buildings are at the top of the list so that we can get that underway as soon as possible.

        If I could quickly turn to searches the President told you that we are actively involved in a search for the Business Dean. This morning I met with the search committee for the Registrar. We have had four interviewees. Excellent candidates. The committee gave their input to President Palms and me and so we will move fairly quickly on that. Later on this afternoon I have an interview with a candidate for the Director of the Office of Technology Transfer. This will be the second person on campus. We will have another interview tomorrow and so we are very close on that. Gary Crawley is chairing the Vice Provost for Research search committee. The search committee has informed me that we have 35 applications for that job right now and we will be hopefully bringing people to campus this summer. Fred Roper who is dean of the College of Library and Information Science will chair the chief information officer search and we are presently constituting that committee. That completes my report, Madam Chair.

I will be happy to answer any question.

PROFESSOR JOHN SPURRIER – STATISTICS – Jerry, on May 11th we got a memo from Charlie Jeffcoat announcing that the custodians would open only one door to our building and leaving the departments to open any other door that needed open. This is making it difficult for students to get to their 8 o’clock classes on time. In some cases it is impossible for handicapped students to get to their 8 o’clock classes. I hope that you will ask Charlie to reconsider this proposal. This is just a needless burden on the department and the students.

PROVOST ODOM – Certainly I have sympathy with the handicapped more than I have sympathy for students getting to their class.

PROFESSOR SPURRIER - Well it makes them go out of the way to get to class when the custodians could open the doors. .

PROVOST ODOM – I really don’t see the need for this but I will talk to Charlie about it.

PROFESSOR HUDSON – On at least two occasions during the last year you spoke to the faculty indicating that the first priority of the University was the renovation of LeConte. I’m sure that you and others, including President Palms, genuinely felt that this was the University’s first priority, but this is not going to happen this year and the question is where do we stand now. It’s nice to know that we have the money for the Fitness Center and an arena, but how can we ensure that next year our #1 priority does not become a #4 or 5 priority? .

PROVOST ODOM - Well, we didn’t push it. We submitted our top projects and the problem, Richard, is the legislature seems to have much more interest in funding new buildings rather than renovating old facilities.

PROFESSOR HUDSON – If they wait long enough they will have to replace it.

PROVOST ODOM – You are absolutely correct. Something that should be happening in LeConte this summer that the Office of the Provost paid for is the classrooms should be painted, new desks bought, and new blackboards installed. I don’t know if that is happening or not but it is supposed to be.

PROFESSOR HUDSON – The worst part of teaching in the summer right now is that the air conditioning is such that either doesn’t work or you have to turn it to a level to where the person in the first row can’t hear.

PROVOST ODOM – I understand. I’ve asked Charlie if we can just go in and replace the air conditioning system and he basically feels like to do that now then hopefully two or three years from now when we renovate the building is not really a good expense. But I understand exactly what you are saying. It will be right at the top of the list next year. We have already determined that we will continue to ask the state to help us renovate that building. That is a $12,000,000 or $13,000,000 renovation. So it is going to be very expensive. But I understand your concern.

PROFESSOR HUDSON - We don’t want to have to move our reprints to our homes fearing that the next flooding from broken pipes will destroy our papers. There are many immediate needs which can be taken care of that do not cost millions of dollars, and these needs require immediate attention. .

.

PROFESSOR GLENN HARRISON – BADM

PROVOST ODOM – How are you Glenn? I haven’t seen you a lot lately.

PROFESSOR HARRISON – I’ve been busy. A quick question about security. Some faculty members raised the question about security in the evenings. Apparently the University police are reluctant to come to an individual’s office to escort them to their car. This causes some concern for faculty. I am wondering if you could investigate that and clarify if that is the case. In which case we would like them to reconsider it.

PROVOST ODOM - Sure.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Are there any other questions?

IV. Reports of Committees.

A. Faculty Senate Steering Committee, Professor Sarah Wise:

    No report.

B. Grade Change Committee, Professor Ernest Wiggins, Chair:

PROFESSOR WIGGINS – Madam Chair, the recommendations of the Grade Change Committee changes are found on pages 9 – 20. .

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Is there a second?

-second.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL - All in favor signify by saying aye. Opposed. Report is accepted.

C. Curricula and Courses Committee, Professor Dave Berube, Acting Chair:

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – We will be going through this section of the agenda by Roman numeral. If you do not have a copy and want one there are some up here on the table.

PROFESSOR BERUBE – Section I. College of Engineering, there is a change. Go to the line that says "TO" EECE 501. The second line should read "(Prereq: CSCI 330 or [EECE 311 and EECE 352]). That is the only change.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Do you want to move it?

PROFESSOR BERUBE – It’s moved.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Is there a second?

    - Seconded

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL - Any questions? If not all in favor. Opposed. Section II. The ayes have it.

PROFESSOR BERUBE – Section II. College of Journalism and Mass Communications changes in curriculum and it is so moved.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Is there a second?

    - Second.

CHAIRMAN-ELECT STROBEL – All in favor. Opposed. Ayes have it. Section III. College of Liberal Arts.

PROFESSOR BERUBE – College of Liberal Arts. We’ve got some changes in curriculum, new courses, changes in description. Everything is fine. We looked through it – A through G. It is so moved.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Is there a second?

    - Second.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Discussion. All in favor. Opposed. Ayes have it.

Section IV.

PROFESSOR BERUBE – Section IV. School of Music. We have new courses

on pages 25 and 26 . So moved.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Is there a second?

    -Second.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Discussion? All in favor. Opposed. Ayes have it.

Section V.

PROFESSOR BERUBE – Section V. School of Nursing. There is a deletion, change in prerequisites, change in prerequisite and description, and change in curriculum. So moved.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Is there a second?

    - Second.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL - Discussion? All in favor. Opposed. Approved.

Section VI.

PROFESSOR BERUBE – The first Roman numeral VI., School of Public Health.                                                                   It is a series of deletions on top of page 28. So moved.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Second?

    -Second.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Discussion. All in favor. Opposed. Approved. The second Roman numeral VI.

PROFESSOR BERUBE – Section VI., College of Science and Mathematics. In the middle of the page where it reads "BIOL 546, the second line, it should read, (3) and then (Prereq: BIOL 302; or consent of instructor). On page 31, once again at the top where it says "TO: CSCI 531, the second line should be (Prereq: CSCI 330 or [EECE311 and EECE 352]) . So moved.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Is there a second?

    Seconded.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Discussion? All in favor. Opposed. Ayes have it.

PROFESSOR BERUBE – Then we move to XI.

PROFESSOR BERUBE – College of Social Work, change in title. So moved.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Is there a second?

    - Second.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Discussion? All in favor. Opposed. Ayes have it. Thank you.

D. Faculty Advisory Committee, Professor Margit Resch, Chair:

     No report.

E. Faculty Welfare Committee, Professor Caroline Eastman, Chair:

PROFESSOR EASTMAN – I don’t have a long report this afternoon. The Welfare Committee is pleased to announce the establishment of a Faculty Enrichment Fund. This will be funded from contributions to the Family Fund and parallel the currently existing Staff Development Fund. We plan to at the very least cover the cost of flu shots for faculty, which has been the subject of some discussion and disgruntlement in the past.

We welcome suggestions from faculty for other activities, and we may be asking some or all of you in the future for such suggestions. Funding will be modest. We cannot build new parking garages, for example; and we also further encourage people to contribute to the Family Fund when it rolls around again.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Thank you, Caroline. Are there any questions?

F. Committee on Admissions, Professor Stephen McNeill, Chair:

    No report.

G. Committee on Scholastic Standards and Petitions, Professor James Day,

Chair:

No report.

V. Report of the Secretary.

PROFESSOR SARAH WISE – The Faculty House will be closed July 2nd through the 12th so if you need to get to the Faculty Senate Office please call Peggy or Jeanna before you go because the doors will be locked. But they will be there so give them a call.

VI. Unfinished Business.

No report.

 

VII. New Business.

PROFESSOR MARCIA SYNNOTT – HISTORY – I would just like to emphasize, given this year we are beginning to prepare for the SACS visit in 2001, I would like to emphasize strongly that I believe the University, at least some departments and colleges, need more and better computer assistance technicians. In History, we have six new faculty this year all of whom need computers installed in their offices. The rest of the current faculty are getting new computers, but we have only one part-time computer technician and he is stretched too thin. I think that it isn’t just a question of ordering computers. They have got to be installed on a timely basis. I would suggest that the University may have to allocate more resources to hiring more and better trained service assistants so faculty could benefit from all this wonderful high tech equipment.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Thank you for your comments. I think many of us would echo those sentiments.

 

VIII. Good of the Order.

No comments.

IX. Announcements.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – I would like to call your attention to the letter that has been enclosed from the Phi Beta Kappa President-elect of the Alpha Chapter commenting on remarks that were made at the faculty meeting in spring – at the April faculty meeting. I commend her for writing the letter to us and for informing us of the activities of that illustrious organization.

    If there are no further announcements, is there a motion to adjourn?

    - So moved.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – Is there a second?

    Seconded.

CHAIRPERSON-ELECT STROBEL – The meeting is adjourned.


This page updated 23 August 1999 by the Office of the Faculty Senate,
and copyright 1999, The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina.
URL http://www.sc.edu/faculty/senate/99/minutes/0629.minutes.html