About the Ombudsman
Jim Augustine, a School of Medicine professor in the department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Neuroscience and former chair of the Faculty Senate (2003-2005), was appointed University Ombudsman in August, 2006. He has successfully completed basic, intermediate, and advanced training in the theory and practice of the ombuds profession sponsored by the International Ombudsman Association. He is currently a member of the Nominations and Elections Committee of the International Ombudsman Association (IOA).
Education: Millikin University (BA), Saint Louis University (MS), University of Alabama at Birmingham (PhD). Postdoctoral training at the University of Michigan in the Neurosurgical Research Laboratory and at the Université de Montréal, Centre de Recherché en Sciences Neurologique.
Contributions to professional journals including The Anatomical Record, Brain Research, Brain Research Reviews, and Neuroscience. His Lucite plate model of the baboon oculomotor nucleus is on exhibit in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons, London, England. Single author of Human Neuroanatomy published in 2008 (first edition) by Academic Press, an imprint of Elsevier.
Honors and Awards: Pearls of Wisdom Lecturer at the USC School of Medicine five times and the MI Teacher of the Year at the USC School of Medicine seven times. Honored by his high school (Mascoutah Schools Achievement Award, 2005), his undergraduate institution (Millikin University Alumni Merit Award, 2006), and by the University of South Carolina (USC Educational Foundation Outstanding Service Award, 2009). Elizabeth Crosby Visiting Professor in the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Michigan (March 2012). USC School of Medicine Alumni Association Award recipient (2014).
Memberships: American Association of Anatomists, Cajal Club, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, International Ombudsman Association, and the Society for Neuroscience. "Ask an Expert" editor for the American Association of Anatomists.
James R. Augustine, PhD
- Lehman RM, Augustine JR (2012. Evolution and rebirth of functional stereotaxy in the subthalamus. World Neurosurg 80(5):521-533, November 2013
- Augustine JR (2008) Human Neuroanatomy, Academic Press, an imprint of Elsevier. ISBN 978-0-12-068251-255.
- Steinberg BA, Augustine JR (1997): Behavioral, anatomical, and physiological aspects of recovery of motor function following stroke. Brain Research Reviews 25:125-132.
- Augustine JR (1996): Circuitry and functional aspects of the insular lobe in primates including humans. Brain Research Reviews 22:229-244.
- McDonald AJ, Mascagni F, Augustine JR (1995): Neuropeptide Y and somatostatin-like immunoreactivity in the monkey amygdala. Neuroscience 66:959-982.
- Odor DL, Augustine JR (1995) Morphological study of changes in the baboon oviductal epithelium during the menstrual cycle. Microscopy Research and Technique 32:13-28.
- Augustine JR (1985) The insular lobe in primates including humans. Neurol Res 7:2-10.
Pharmacology, Physiology and Neuroscience
University of South Carolina
School of Medicine
Departmental Office Page: http://ppn.med.sc.edu/jaugustine.asp
University Ombudsman Office Page: www.sc.edu/ombuds/