The South Carolina Poetry Initiative is a center for the promotion, celebration, and production of poetry based at the University of South Carolina. To accomplish its goals, the Poetry Initiative has established partnerships with a wide cross section of arts organizations and private and public sector organizations. The Poetry Initiative is a statewide organization that works with libraries, museums, schools, colleges, community organizations, and various other entities to promote and celebrate the reading, writing and performing of poetry in the state of South Carolina.Objectives
- Offer resources for SC poets to develop their craft and to find support for the work that they do through workshops, retreats and an annual Poetry Summit.
- Encourage the writing, reading and appreciation of poetry throughout the state.
- Serve as a resource for colleges and schools in their efforts to make poetry more accessible to students and to enhance learning skills through the writing and appreciation of poetry.
- Celebrate the accomplishments of poets within the region by promoting and organizing contests, readings, tours, residences, etc.
- Serve as a center where poets and people interested in poetry can do research, learn about publishing, participate in writing workshops and exchange ideas about writing, etc.
- Organize and promote creative partnerships for poetry with the public library system, museums, galleries, community centers, arts centers, etc.
- The Poetry Initiative falls under the umbrella of the English Department of the University of South Carolina.
- A graduate research assistant is assigned to the Poetry Initiative.