South Carolina Poetry Initiative 2011:
Deadline: This competition invites writers to submit unpublished collections of original poems. Manuscripts accepted from Saturday, January 1, 2011 thru Tuesday, March 14, 2011.
- The competition is open both to those who have not published a book-length collection and to those who have.
- Manuscripts must be post-marked by Monday, March 14. Those postmarked later will be returned unread.
- Manuscripts of 45 to 95 pages should be typed on standard sized paper (8 1/2 by 11). DO NOT SEND YOUR ONLY COPY.
- Name, address, and phone number should appear on the title page. Acknowledgments should appear on a separate page.
- Individual collections must be the work of a single author.
- Translations are not accepted.
- Manuscripts should be submitted in final form; revisions or emendations to acknowledgments will not be considered during the contest.
- Multiple submissions to other publishers are acceptable provided we are informed if the manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- The manuscript should be submitted in a plain 9 x 11 1/2" manila folder. Please do not submit manuscripts bound in ring binders or plastic holders.
- Submissions are limited to writers 21 years or older.
- Poets must be South Carolina natives or permanent residents of South Carolina.
- Previous winners must wait a period of 3 years before submitting manuscripts.
Return of Manuscripts: Because we cannot guarantee the return of the manuscripts, all entries become the property of The South Carolina Poetry Initiative and those not chosen will be re-cycled. DO NOT include a self-addressed stamped envelope. All contestants will be notified following the final selection.
Entry fee: Submissions should include a check for $15 made out to USC Educational Foundation to help defray administrative costs.
Judging: The final judge for the competition is a nationally known and respected poet. Individual criticism of manuscripts cannot be given.
Prize: The winning manuscript will be
published by the University of South Carolina Press
the following year. The final winner will be
announced Sunday May 1st, 2011 at 2:00pm at a
celebratory event at the Columbia Museum of Art.
Please mail manuscripts and accompanying information to:
The South Carolina Poetry Initiative
Department of English
c/o Kwame Dawes
University of South Carolina
Columbia SC 29208
*This contest is sponsored through a partnership between the Poetry Initiative and the USC Press.