Graduation with Leadership Distinction
Advancing leadership is an important component of USC’s role as the flagship university of South Carolina and its dedication to educating the future leaders of SC, the nation, and the world.
Students graduating with Leadership Distinction demonstrate extensive, purposeful engagement beyond the classroom; understanding of course concepts in “real world” settings; and application of learning to make decisions and solve problems: Cornerstones of USC Connect.
This formal distinction honors the broader scope of achievements for students engaged within and beyond the classroom and sets them apart in ways worthy of recognition by others (e.g., potential employers, graduate schools).
Students are recognized with graduation cords and the distinction appears on graduates’ transcripts and diplomas “with Leadership Distinction in (Pathway Name)”.
Earning Leadership Distinction
Students can earn Leadership Distinction if they graduate:
- With an associate or baccalaureate degree in any major
- From USC Columbia, Lancaster, Salkehatchie, Sumter or Union
- With a GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Beyond-the-Classroom Extensive (Core) Experience
- 2-3 Enhancement Activities (e.g., lecture, workshop, special event)
- 3-6 credits related coursework
- Presentation or publication (e.g., Discovery Day)
See each Graduation with Leadership Distinction pathway for further detail:
- Community Service
- Global Learning
- Professional and Civic Engagement (combines USC Connect internship and peer leadership pathways)
- Research (separate from department research distinctions)
Helpful links to learn more:
Please contact us with any questions or comments:
Thomas Cooper Library, Suite L132
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208