General GRAD 701 Course Information
GRAD 701 supports the teaching skill development of graduate students through training sessions and workshops directly applicable to TA/IA responsibilities. The course provides a wide variety of interactive workshops for graduate students to learn fundamental teaching pedagogy, relevant and useful teaching techniques, important professional development skills, and the opportunity to interact with other GTA/IAs across the university.
- 1-semester, zero-credit course (no tuition), pass-fail grading.
- Registration for GRAD 701 occurs through my.sc.edu during USC's open registration (see registration information below).
- Students are required to participate in a minimum of four professional development
activities, at least two of which must be face-to-face workshops.
- A wide variety of activities are provided to fulfill this requirement: GRAD 701-specific sessions, general CTE workshops, campus partner training events, and teaching workshops offered through the academic unit (these must first be approved by the TA Training Program Manager).
- Many of these activities are tailored to specific TA responsibilities (instructor of record, laboratory assistant, recitation leader, discussion leader, tutor, grader, etc.).
- Satisfactory course completion requires submission of a reflection activity assignment for each of the four activities in which the student participated.
- Course administration and submission of assignments occurs via Blackboard.
- GTA/IAs who do not complete the course requirements will be assigned an "Unsatisfactory" (Failing) grade which will be permanently recorded on their transcript, and Graduate Directors will be notified that this student has not met the TA Training requirements.
Approved GRAD 701-Equivalent Departmental Courses
Certain departments offer Graduate School-approved instructional training courses that can be used in lieu of GRAD 701 to fulfill this portion of the TA Training requirement. Please contact your Graduate Director or Program Coordinator for more information if your department has a GRAD 701-equivalent course listed below.
- The Graduate School has approved the following departmental courses as GRAD 701-equivalent: EDCE 830, EDHE 738, ENGL 691, FORL 776, HRTM 798, JOUR 805, LING 795, MATH 791, PHIL 790, SLIS 804, SPTE 810.
- Registration for these courses occurs through my.sc.edu during open registration.
- Only certain courses are offered in the spring semester. Check with your Graduate Director to determine whether to register for these courses.
GRAD 701 Registration and Special Departmental Sections
GRAD 701 registration occurs through my.sc.edu. Please note that specific sections of GRAD 701 are restricted to certain academic units which have developed specialized GRAD 701-equivalent TA Training programs, but do not wish to develop a new course.
GRAD 701 Section registration restrictions (only students enrolled in designated departments or colleges can register for Sections 003-007):
Section 001: General registration – open to all departments
Section 002: General registration – open to all departments
Section 003: Moore School of Business MACC GIAs only
Section 004: English Department Writing Center GIA Tutors only
Section 005: Chemistry and Biochemistry GIAs only
Section 006: English Department Discussion Leader GIAs only