You should complete a non-degree student application if you are:
- A transient or visiting student from another college who wishes to take a few course but will graduate from your 4-year "home" college. You must submit written transient permission for those courses from your "home" college advisor. If your college or university does not have their own transient approval form,please use our transient form [PDF format]. We will not process any transient/visiting application without written approval from your “home” institution.
- A college graduate needing additional credits to qualify for admission to a graduate or professional school. You must supply proof of your degree by submitting either an official transcript showing degree and date awarded or an official letter stating degree and date earned (letter must include registrar's signature and school seal). Please note that a diploma (or copy of a diploma) is considered a ceremonial document and cannot be used for admission purposes.
- A student taking one or more classes for personal enrichment.
- A member of university faculty or staff taking one or more classes for personal enrichment via tuition waiver.
- a senior citizen taking one or more classes for personal enrichment via tuition waiver.
Is financial aid or housing available?
Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid or veterans' benefits. In addition, campus housing is generally not available, except during summer terms. An exception is made for National Student Exchange students who are housed on campus during the regular terms.
I am active-duty military. Can I take classes?
Men and women on active duty with the armed forces who do not plan to work toward a degree at this time may be admitted to the University as military special students. The signature of the education officer on the military base is required to certify active duty. Military students may also choose to apply as regular, degree-seeking students by using the University's standard application for admission. Transfer credit for military students will be evaluated only for those students accepted as regular students. No application fee is required for military special students, but the standard application fee must be paid if a military student applies for standard admission.
How do I apply?
The easiest way to apply is by completing an online application. Before you can begin your online application, you must first set up an account with a unique user ID and password. Once you've begun your application, you may save it and return to it as many times as you wish.
What is the application fee?
A nonrefundable fee of $25 is required with this application. International students must pay a nonrefundable application fee of $100. Military special students do not pay the fee.
- Students who do not meet Columbia degree-seeking admission requirements may not be eligible for non-degree admission.
- Transient permission from the "home" institution must be granted for all transient (visiting) applicants. However, transient permission from the home institution does not imply or guarantee admission into the University of South Carolina.
- The Office of Undergraduate Admissions determines the appropriate credentials required in order to consider your application for admission. When necessary, we may ask for additional transcripts in order to assess your admissibility, academic preparation, and potential for success as a USC student.
- All non-degree students are admitted on a space-available basis and register for available courses after currently enrolled USC degree-seeking students. In some cases permission of the department of instruction may be required.
- The University of South Carolina will only accept the following documents as proof of degree: an official transcript showing degree and date awarded or an official letter stating degree and date earned (letter must include registrar's signature and school seal). Please note that a diploma (or copy of a diploma) is considered a ceremonial document and cannot be used for admission purposes.