- A computer is recommended, but not required. We support Macs and Windows. If you bring it, we
can support it.
- Apple and Dell offer student discounts on computer purchases. To get education prices at Apple, take your CarolinaCard with
you to any Apple Store or go to the Apple Education Store When purchasing a computer from Dell, make sure to use the USC membership number (US11129897) to get your discount. Apple
and Dell also offer back to school specials. Buy an eligible Mac from Apple and get
a free pair of Beats Solo2 Wireless Headphones or buy a $699.99+ PC from Dell and
get a promo card for a 32” Samsung TV or a special deal on a PC & Xbox One.
- Printers are not required. If you bring a wireless printer, the wireless feature must be turned
off while the printer is on campus. You can connect via USB or Bluetooth. Not bringing
a printer? You can print at WEPA stations available in most residence halls, Thomas
Cooper Library, and many labs across campus.
- Before you can connect to the campus network, your computer must have current antivirus software installed and activated, and all critical operating system updates must be completed. If you do not have antivirus software, you can download
Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows or Sophos for the Mac free of charge by
going to sc.edu and clicking on “Purchase computer software.”
- Routers are not allowed on the campus network.
- Microsoft Office 365 is available for free for as long as you are a student at the University of South
Carolina. It includes all the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote,
and more for Mac and Windows. You can install Office 365 on up to five computers and five mobile devices. All of your work can be saved online
in OneDrive so it can be accessed from all of your devices. Click here for more information and download instructions.
- Wireless is available in all buildings and many outdoor areas. Use the secure uscstudent wireless network.
- Your gaming system, streaming device, and smart TV can connect to either the EntertaiNET wireless network or the wired network in your residence hall.
- Your Network Username is a three- to eight-character combination of your first and last names, and it may
also include your middle initial and/or numbers. The Network Username is used to access
student email, the wired and wireless networks, Blackboard, and some college/department
systems. To locate your Network Username or set your password, go to sc.edu and sign in using your VIP ID and password. For more information about your Network
Username and other IDs, visit My University IDs.
- Your email address is firstname.lastname@example.org (substituting your Network Username). Your password is the same as your Network
Username password. You can log in online at https://www.outlook.com/email.sc.edu.
- Blackboard is our online course management system. Your instructors will tell you if and how
they use Blackboard. You log in at sc.edu with your Network Username and password.
- The Carolina Tech Zone provides free hands-on technical support to all students for computers, mobile devices, smart TVs, gaming systems, and streaming
devices. Carolina Tech Zone services include connecting to the network, software installation,
computer diagnostics, virus removal, hard drive backup and install, and more.
- The Carolina Tech Zone will be open Move In Sunday, August 14 from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. We are located at 516 Main street. We will
resume normal business hours — Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. — on Monday, August
- If you need assistance with any technology-related issue, contact the UTS Service Desk at 803-777-1800 or stop by the Carolina Tech Zone at 516 Main street, Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m.
Technology Information for New Students
Welcome to USC! A wealth of technology resources and services are available to you. University Technology Services (UTS) is here to help! If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.