Campus Safety and Building Security
The "Campus Safety and Building Security" presentation is presented by a member of the USC Division of Law Enforcement and Safety. The presentation consists of a power point presentation which covers many important aspects of crime prevention and campus safety. This includes how to contact law enforcement in the event of an emergency, criminal activity that can occur on and off campus, escort and shuttle services, problems areas for students (alcohol and drugs), how to protect themselves and their property, and other helpful resources on campus.
The Campus Safety and Building Security presentation supports University 101 learning outcomes:
III. Prepare Students for Responsible Lives in a Diverse, Interconnected, and Changing World
d. Describe processes, strategies, and resources, and explain the implications of their decisions related to their overall wellness.
The students will be educated in the areas of crime prevention, reduction, and awareness of criminal activity. We will also inform students about the numerous educational programs through the police that let them know what they can and should do to prevent themselves from becoming potential victims.
As a result of attending this presentation students will:
- Know several ways to contact law enforcement in the event of an emergency.
- Be aware of various crimes that occur on and off campus.
- Know ways to protect themselves and their property.
- Know the various shuttle and escort options available to assist students in getting around campus.
1. Division of Law Enforcement & Safety
Law Enforcement website
USC PD location
Patrolling the campus
Uniforms/Recognizing Area Law Enforcement
2. Crime on campus and areas where crime most frequently occurs
3. Problem areas for students
Date rape drugs
4. Protecting your personal property
Photo copying important information in purse/wallet
Registering valuable electronic items with USC PD
Engraving identifying information on property
Registering and securing bicycles on campus
5. Protecting Yourself
Threats and Harassment
Store emergency telephones numbers in cell phone
Emergency Call Box usage and locations
Assault and Battery
R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense)
Carolina Alert System
6. Shuttle services/escort options
Carolina Cab Safe Ride Program
50 minutes or 75 minutes