Determine Your Status
You will be required to attend one of several unique orientation sessions. You can determine which one you need to go to by considering several factors.
- Admission Status
If you are a high school student or graduate who has never attended a post-secondary institution, you are classified as a freshman. If you are coming to USC to complete your undergraduate education after attending another post-secondary institution, you are classified as a transfer student.
- Major and College
- Starting Term
Students can begin their first semester at USC during different times in the year.
- You are a spring admit if you are beginning your first semester at USC-Columbia in January.
- You are a summer admit if you are beginning your first semester at USC-Columbia in May or June.
- You are a fall admit if you are beginning your first semester at USC-Columbia in August.
- Status within Special Programs
The University of South Carolina offers a variety of special programs: Honors, Capstone, Gamecock Gateway, Opportunity Scholars Program, Galen Health Fellows and International Accelerator Program. Please check your admissions materials to verify if you are a part of any of them.
Find the Right Session
If you are starting at USC in:
- Fall (as a freshman), you'll attend Freshman Orientation in June or July
- Fall (as a transfer student), you'll attend Transfer Orientation in June or July
- Spring, you'll attend orientation in January
- Summer, you'll attend orientation in May
Things You'll Need to Know
Keep in mind that a reservation in a specific orientation session is not guaranteed until payment is completed. Sessions have limited space and they close once they are full.
Freshmen students admitted during the summer or fall semesters are required to pay a $200 admissions deposit to confirm enrollment before gaining access to orientation session dates and registration. Transfer students do not need to pay their admissions deposit to gain access to orientation session dates and registration. Please note that electronic check payments will be held for six business days while the check clears. Availability is first come, first served.