In January 2000, the Wengrow family of South Carolina established a generous endowment to honor the memory of Sura Wolff Wengrow. Its primary purpose is to support Jewish Studies at the University of South Carolina, particularly the study of Jewish history, culture, religion, and heritage in our home state.
The 2023-2024 Undergraduate Research Award offers $1,500 to support research conducted at archives or libraries in the U.S. or abroad. Juniors and seniors planning to write original, primary source-based research papers and/or senior theses with a Jewish Studies theme are eligible to apply. The Jewish Heritage Collection at the College of Charleston, the Savannah Jewish Archives, and the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C., among others, have rich collections of documents, photographs, artifacts, oral histories, and audio-visual materials. Projects that require students to conduct oral interviews or travel to historical sites are also acceptable.
- Students must be enrolled full-time at USC during the award period and have a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Students must be in their third or final year of study
- Funds should be used to cover travel, accommodations, and per diem expenses
- Students should pursue their research projects under the general guidance of a professor or mentor at USC
- Submit a research proposal that includes a cover sheet, a project description (about 500 words), an explanation of the scholarly significance of the proposed project, the collections that will be perused, and an itemized budget. The proposal should not exceed 1,000 words.
- The cover sheet should include the student’s name, the title of the proposed research project, the class for which the research will be conducted, the professor's name, and the submission date.
- All documents must be submitted as ONE FILE, as an email attachment in Microsoft Word format, by the deadline specified below. Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application deadline: December 1, 2023 (for research over winter break) or May 1, 2024 (for summer research)
- Award announcement: December 15, 2023 and May 15, 2024
Undergraduate students of every faith and ethnicity are encouraged to apply.
For all questions, contact Dr. Saskia Coenen Snyder at email@example.com