- A computer is recommended, but not required. We support all brands (Windows or Mac). If you bring it, we can support it.
- Your computer must have current antivirus software installed and critical operating system updates must be completed before you can connect to the network(s). If you do not have antivirus software, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows and Sophos for the Mac free of charge from my.sc.edu. Click on “Purchase computer software.”
- The Carolina Tech Zone provides free hands-on technical support to all students, including virus removal, assistance with network connectivity, software installation and more.
- Your VIP ID is an eight-digit number that has been automatically generated and assigned to you. You use your VIP ID to log in to the student system, Self Service Carolina, at my.sc.edu. Your VIP ID was included in your acceptance letter when you were offered admission to the university. You’re also given access to your VIP ID if you’ve applied for financial aid.
- Your Network Username is an eight-character combination of your first and last names, and it may also include your middle initial and/or numbers. To locate your Network Username or set your password, go to my.sc.edu and sign in using your VIP ID and password. Your Network Username is used to access your student email, the wired and wireless networks, Blackboard, and some college/department systems.
- Microsoft Office 365 is available for free to all students. Students have access to the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
OneNote, and much more. You can install Office 365 on up to five compatible PCs and Macs, plus five tablets (including iPad). All work
can be saved online in OneDrive so it can be accessed no matter which device is being
used. You can use this Office 365 subscription for as long as you are a student at
the University of South Carolina. Click here for download instructions.
Wireless is available in all buildings and many outdoor areas. Use the uscstudent wireless network. There is no difference in the connection speed between the wired and wireless networks.
- Your gaming system, digital media devices/streaming players can connect to either the EntertainNET wireless network or to the wired network.
- Your student email address is firstname.lastname@example.org (substituting your Network Username). Your password is the same as your Network Username password. You can log in online at outlook.com.
- Blackboard is our online course management system. Your instructors will tell you if and how they use Blackboard. You log in at blackboard.sc.edu with your Network Username and password.
- Wireless printers are not allowed unless the wireless feature is turned off while the printer is on campus. Wireless routers are not allowed.
- Apple and Dell offer student discounts on computer purchases. When purchasing a computer from Dell, make sure to use the USC membership number (US11129897) to get your discount. To get education prices at Apple, take your CarolinaCard with you to any Apple Store or go to the Apple Education Store online.
If you need assistance with any technology-related issue, contact the UTS Service Desk at (803) 777-1800 or come by the Carolina Tech Zone at 516 Main street.