- Connect your machine to the University network via an Ethernet cable from the wall data jack (not the blue phone jack) to your computer.
- Open a web browser and attempt to connect to a non-USC website (ex. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
- You will be redirected to a sign-on page. Login with your USC network username and
password. For University sponsored guests or summer conference attendees, use the user ID and
password provided by your sponsors.
- You will be asked to review the USC Network Usage Policy. After review, click on the link that says, Yes, I will install the policy key and accept the terms and conditions for Internet use. If you choose not to accept the policy, you will not be granted Internet access.
- The policy key will begin downloading. If you are presented with another Security
Warning box that asks if you want to run the application titled ServiceInstaller.exe,
click Run to continue. **Macintosh users will need to choose the Macintosh HD drive to complete the installation.
Select Run to continue the installation.
- Select Install to complete the policy key installation.
- When the installation is complete, you will receive a prompt indicating a successful
installation. You are now connected to the USC network!
- The SafeConnect client will automatically start a compliance check. If antivirus software
is not installed, a warning message will appear notifying you that an anti-virus application
was not found and provides links where you can obtain proper software. USC faculty,
staff and students should use the University-provided software available through VIP. For summer conference attendees, please choose an antivirus application to download.
- If you already have antivirus software installed, you may receive a warning that it is not running or your definitions are out of date. You will be given a link to update your software or you can go to the software provider's website to update if you are using non-USC provided antivirus protection.
- You may see a warning if your automatic updates are not turned on or your system updates
are not installed. You will be given a link and/or instructions to correct this.
This completes instructions on how to get your computer onto the USC network. If for any reason you have additional problems, you may contact the UTS Service Desk at (803) 777-1800, M-F, 8am-6pm.