To further impact the health of the children in our community, we provide safety and health programs for families, partner with schools to enhance health education and are involved in advocacy efforts at local and state levels.
Palmetto Health Children's Hospital Partnership
We partner with Palmetto Health Children's Hospital to serve as a major pediatric referral center offering a full array of over 20 pediatric divisions including subspecialties.
Some of our programs:
- Children’s Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders
- Nationally accredited Cystic Fibrosis center
- Regional referral centers for neonatology and subspecialties
- Level II ACS Trauma Center
- Children’s Surgery Program
- Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia Center (PCD)
- Tom Bates Day Hospital for sedation and outpatient procedures
- Sleep Disorders Center
- Diabetes and Obesity Institute
- Epilepsy Monitoring Unit (EMU)
- Pediatric Palliative Care Program
- Solutions for Patient Safety initiatives
- Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
- Special Needs Care Center
- Tourette Center of Excellence
- South Carolina Child Advocacy Medical Response System (SCCAMRS)
- Rural Satellite Clinics
Our department has more than 40 faculty members who provide general pediatric as well as subspecialty medical care. Over the past few years some of our faculty have been the recipients of over 20 School of Medicine, State, SCAAP and National Awards for teaching, service and advocacy.
The Pediatric Student Clinical Clerkship has been rated consistently higher than the national average based on national survey data. Our clerkship was rated the top clinical rotation by medical students for 24 out of the last 25 years. We provide training and education to multiple other disciplines, including the Physician Assistant Program.
For the past 14 years, the Finding Your Future program has been offered to 22 undergraduate rising senior students from various colleges and universities in South Carolina who plan to apply to medical school. The four-week shadowing program allows the students to rotate on a weekly basis in various clinical areas.
The University of South Carolina School of Medicine/Palmetto Health Pediatric Residency program is a fully ACGME accredited three-year program with 12 residents at each level. Our commitment to education is exemplified by our pass rates on the American Board of Pediatrics certifying examination, where we are consistently ranked in the top ten percent. We have innovative educational programs such as private practice continuity program, ultrasound education and community/advocacy curriculums.
For further information regarding our residency program please email Ashley Lynn at email@example.com.