AIR FORCE OFFICE OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH: FY22 DEFENSE ESTABLISHED PROGRAM TO STIMULATE
COMPETITIVE RESEARCH (DEPSCoR) – CAPACITY BUILDING (CB) FOA-AFRL-AFOSR-2022-0007
The aim of DEPSCoR – Capacity Building is to improve the research capabilities at institutions of higher education (IHE) in eligible States/Territories to perform competitive basic research in science and engineering that is relevant to the DoD mission and reflect national security priorities.
To address the program’s aim, DEPSCoR-Capacity Building objectives are to:
• Jumpstart capability development in the state through increased human, technical, and management resources
• Achieve excellence in a DoD-relevant research area through funding to support equipment, education, research, and other relevant activities
Applications must focus on one DoD-related research area and identify gaps to achieve full capacity. Applications must present a management plan for coordinating multiple thrusts working on a common basic research theme. These thrusts could include but are not limited to purchasing new equipment, supporting new hires, and supporting students and post-docs.
The University of South Carolina (UofSC) can only submit one White Paper to this Call for Proposals.
Please note, an institutional-level official such as the VPR will be the actual PI of the proposal.
Interested teams should submit the following as a single PDF document to Beth Herron (
• Cover page (1 page limit): Include all key personnel names and institutional affiliations. Also include the Services’ BAA number and research area (s) your application addresses.
• Abstract (not to exceed 500 words); Describe the overall approach to achieving the strategic objectives of the UofSC to achieve basic research excellence in areas of high relevance to the DoD.
• Capacity Building Narrative (3 page limit): Your white paper must clearly describe your strategic objectives to achieve basic research excellence to the DoD, including existing seed capability, vision, the thrusts that will be used to build capacity, your potential partners, management plan, and potential for long-term sustainment.
• A two-page CV for the Team Lead.
The full FOA may be reviewed at https://umaine.edu/epscor/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2021/05/FOA-AFRL-AFOSR-2021-0007-DEPSCOR-Research-Collaboration.pdf
Please e-mail Beth Herron (
The external deadline for this competition (White Paper deadline) is September 21, 2022. If the white paper is invited to submit a full proposal, that deadline will be in February 2023.