Official Meeting Minutes
Presidential Commission on University History
November 2, 2020 at 11:00 a.m.
This meeting of the Presidential Commission on University History at the University of South Carolina Columbia campus took place virtually via Microsoft Teams. Valinda Littlefield, Associate Professor of History at the University of South Carolina, called this meeting to order at 11:05 a.m.
Next Meeting: December 2, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
Kareemah Hosendove – Roll Call
Members: Christian Anderson, Jessica Allison, Stacey Bradley, Melissa Develvis, Myisha Eatmon, William Hubbard, Jonathan Leader, Valinda Littlefield, Andrea L-Hommedieu, Mercedes Lopez-Rodriguez, Derrick Meggie, Harris Pastides, Carla Pfeffer, Karen Roberts, Issy Rushton, Todd Shaw, James Smith, David Snyder, Robin Waites, Elizabeth West, Hannah White, Jeff Wilkinson, Julian Williams
Guests: Ruth Nicholson Hodges, John Pettigrew Jr., Bettis Rainsford
Valinda Littlefield - Updates
- Melissa Spring will provide interim support by serving as a liaison between the commission and the Office of Communications and Public Affairs
- Jeff Wilkinson will work with the commission for at least the next six months to help draft the initial and later public reports that we will submit to President Caslen and the Board of Trustees.
- Jonathan Leader will replace Cheryl Nail as a commission member
Valinda Littlefield – Guests Welcome
- Bettis Rainsford
- Ruth Nicholson Hodges
- John Pettigrew Jr.
All statements will be submitted to the commission.
Jennifer Gunter – University History Subcommittee Report
Andrea L’Hommedieu – Names on Landscape Subcommittee Report
Action items completed
- draft criteria document
- Melissa Develvis, research assistant, provided summary of work to date and its practice
- Files will be reviewed on a regular basis
- Research on Thomas Cooper has been completed and disseminated among subcommittee for review
– Commission feedback needed on the criteria
– Request to the commission: provide feedback to the subcommittee within two weeks.
Elizabeth West – Communication and Education Subcommittee Report
– Will discuss marketing ideas with Larry Thomas on virtual public forums
Valinda Littlefield – Closing Remarks
The meeting was adjourned at 12:07 p.m.
Recorded by Kareemah Hosendove,
Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion