- Apply Online
- Submit your official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic Test scores to the University of
South Carolina Sumter.
- English proficiency is measured through the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- A score of at least 550 on the paper based exam or 77 on the internet based TOEFL is required.
- USC Sumter also accepts the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the PTE Academic Test.
- Students must score at least a 6.5 on the IELTS, or at least a 53 on the PTE.
- The Faculty Admissions Committee makes exceptions based on varying qualifications.
- Please note that citizens from the following countries are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS/PTE
- American Samoa
- Canda (note: Quebec Students must take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE)
- Grand Cayman
- New Zealand
- Sierra Leone
- United Kingdom
- Submit official (or attested copy) transcript(s) from all high school records in their native language. In addition, if your transcript is not in English, you must submit a certified transcript translated into English by a school official.
- Submit a professional credentials evaluation with a GPA reported on a U.S. grading
scale. If you have attended any school outside of the United States, you must submit
an official professional credentials evaluation. Applicants must submit a document-by-document
or course-by-course evaluation. An admissions decision will not be made until the
evaluation and all transcripts are on file. US citizens (freshman or transfer applicants)
who have attempted any courses outside the United States must submit a credentials
evaluation and transcripts from their international work with a GPA reported on a
U.S. grading scale.
Please note that a fee from the student is required for the evaluation of credentials. The payment and all contact regarding this process is done directly between the student and the evaluation service of your choice. We will consider an evaluation from any member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). The web address is www.naces.org. Once the evaluations are completed, they should be sent by the evaluating organization to:
University of South Carolina Sumter
200 Miller Road
Sumter, SC 29150
Below is the contact information of two companies that frequently provide us with evaluations:
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Educational Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Citizens from the following areas are exempt from needing to submit a credential evaluation:
- State of Rhineland-Palatinate/Rhineland Pfalz, Germany
- State of Thuringen, Germany
- State of Brandenburg, Germany
- State of Queensland, Australia
- Province of Taiwan, Republic of China
- If you apply for admission before graduating from high school, you must submit an official (or attested copy) of all final transcript(s) and an updated credentials evaluation after you graduate from high school. Your transcript(s) must include a graduation date.
- Submit official SAT or ACT scores if you want to be considered for scholarships. The University of South Carolina Sumter’s SAT code is 5821. The ACT code is 3885.
- Wait to hear from us in regards to your acceptance. Submitting the aforementioned documentation does not guarantee admission to the University of South Carolina Sumter. All documentation will be reviewed, along with additional items if necessary to determine acceptance. If you are accepted, you will receive correspondence from us with additional instructions.
- Submit financial certification if you are offered admission. USC Sumter must receive official documents which certify that the student will have sufficient funding to attend the University of South Carolina for one academic year. This evidence will be used to issue the student an immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019) which will be required to obtain the F-1 or J-1 student visa at a US embassy or consulate. This process is done after a student has been offered admission.
Special Note: The estimated tuition rate for international students is $17,500 per year. This figure does not include books, supplies, food or housing and is subject to change for the 2018 fall semester. Books and supplies vary from year to year. $1,250 is a safe book and supply estimate. USC Sumter does not provide meals or housing. Student athletes should contact the athletics department to learn more about special independent apartment leasing programs. Currently, the rates range from $500 to $2,000 per month. You are responsible for your own housing arrangements. Remember, official documents must be submitted to show that you will have sufficient funds to enroll and remain at the college.