Upcoming Events and Announcements
Ellie Davis named Breakthrough Award recipient
Ellie Davis, a doctoral student in the department under Professor Kirstin Dow, was named one of UofSC's 2021 Breakthrough Graduate Scholar Award winners. The award recognizes exceptional graduate students who demonstrate excellence in the classroom, and make considerable contributions to research and scholarly activities in their field. Congratulations to Ellie!
She is the second geography grad student to win this award recently. Xiao Huang (Ph.D. 2020) received a Graduate Scholar Award in 2019.
Ken Field's talk available online
If you missed the first colloquium of the fall semester, it's not too late to catch
it. Ken Field's talk, "Fake Maps: The Cartography of Elections," is available online.
UofSC Geography and Geographers in the News
- [Cutter] The riskiest place for a natural disaster in the U.S.? You’re living in it, L.A.
- [Carbone] November 2020 had second-highest temperatures in SC, and set a record for the globe
- [Cutter] FEMA releases new National Risk Index measuring natural disaster risk, vulnerability
- [Mock] Hurricane Zeta breaks records for Gulf and 2020 season
- [Mock] Tropical weather conditions are keeping storms south of Charleston this hurricane season
- [Nagel] South Carolina is changing. Is it enough to put Jaime Harrison in the Senate?
- [Cutter] Six ways the 2020 census will change your life
- 2020 Governor's Award to Jerry Mitchell
Photo: Sedimentation fieldwork at the McCrady Base in Columbia; Michael Hodgson.