Why join the Capstone Scholars family at the University of South Carolina? In a nutshell, you are provided significant support from the Capstone Scholars team who will be your “resource hub” at the University. Our primary focus is the “outside of the classroom” experience centered around our four pillars (Academics, Leadership, Social, and Service) and driven by our motto of “Dream Big! Impact the Community. Leave a Legacy.”
We invite you to explore our website in more detail, but here are just a few benefits of being a Capstone Scholar at the University of South Carolina:
- Living in a tremendous living and learning community in the Capstone building, being surrounded by like-minded students who not only know how to succeed in the classroom, but also make an impact outside the classroom through study abroad, research, leadership and service.
- The Capstone Scholars team strives to make the University of South Carolina seem a bit smaller. We are your support, your mentors, and a place where you feel like you belong. We know what it takes to be successful and enjoy your college experience and we aim to be as “hands on” as possible with our wonderful students! We help mentor students in the undergraduate research process, assist with informal advising, give students resources to develop their leadership abilities, and always have our office doors open!
- Special classes such as our nationally recognized University 101 sections, themed sections of English 101 and English 102, and 1-credit hour electives on topics such as leadership and service learning.
- Study Abroad maymester experiences exclusive to Capstone Scholars! Each May a group of Capstone Scholars will spend two weeks at a destination that will be an experience of a lifetime. In recent years we have spent time in Ecuador, Italy, Greece, Japan, China, Peru, and London. Our maymester program in May 2013 will be heading to Iceland!
- $2,000 study abroad travel grants. Capstone Scholars can apply for these grants to offset the cost of the Capstone maymester or any other maymester/summer study abroad experience.
- $1,000 Undergraduate Research grant known as the Magellan Apprentice. This Capstone-exclusive research grant can be used for salary or supplies. With the assistance of a faculty mentor, engage in research in an area of your own interest! Whether it be in the arts, medical field, business arena, physcologly...the sky is the limit!
- As a highly social community, we have bi-weekly social events known as Hot Cookie Friday (very popular!) as well as partner with the Capstone Hall Government. We firmly believe that the more you enjoy your time at the University and make connections with your peers; you will have a great opportunity to succeed and make this wonderful place feel like home. Our staff also eat with the students every Wednesday in the Gibbes Court Bistro at our lunch known as Hickey Bites.
- Every month we provide opportunities for Capstone Scholars to impact the community through community service. Whether it is mentoring a local 6th grader through our Hand Middle School program or making a difference in the city through our Service Fridays, you will have plenty of opportunities to leave your legacy. We also highly encourage and support students as they create their own service projects and ideas!
- Have questions about advising? Our staff will be able to help you change your major or help you as you decide what to major in. For more involved advising, we have a Cross Campus Advisor in our office to assist you.
- The Study Shack is where most of our social events take place. It has a widescreen TV, games, wireless, etc. It is directly above our Capstone Scholars offices right next to Capstone.