In support of the University's strategic plan, the Council is advisory to the president and the vice president for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, providing well-informed observations and recommendations to ensure the Columbia campus is a welcoming community for all students, faculty, staff and visitors.
The council will:
- actively seek input from diverse constituent groups, individuals, and advocates to assess the culture and climate of inclusivity on campus.
- advise on establishing meaningful baseline metrics for diversity, equity and inclusion.
- recommend benchmarks with peer and aspirant institutions.
- recommend ambitious objectives that advance the strategic plan for DEI.
- monitor performance and achievement of strategic DEI objectives.
- report twice annually on four key factors affecting DEI:
- assessing whether DEI efforts are making a clear and meaningful impact.
- observations about campus issues, incidents, or shortcomings.
- identifying institutional policies, procedures, and structures that create obstacles for diversity, equity and inclusion.
- identifying bold and innovative opportunities and solutions.