Applying for Upward Bound
Students accepted into the Upward Bound Program can access academic support, a residential summer program, college placement services and more.
Ready Your Academics for College
Upward Bound is a pre-college program that provides TRIO-eligible students with extensive academic support including weekend and evening activities, a six-week summer residential program and college-placement services. The program helps students:
- take advantage of high school educational opportunities
- realize their potential
- meet their academic and career goals
We serve students in eligible schools in Richland School District One. Requirements are based on family income and parents' education levels.
Participating High Schools
The following Richland County School District One high schools are a part of the Upward Bound program:
- Columbia High School
- Eau Claire High School
- W. J. Keenan High School
- Lower Richland High School
Upward Bound Programs and Sessions
Students participate in sessions three times a month during the school year, and participate in a six-week residential program at the University of South Carolina in the summer. Tutors are available year-round to help strengthen students' skills in specific subject areas.
During the School Year
Upward Bound holds approximately three sessions each month during the academic year, which include:
- Academic classes geared toward strengthening students' writing and
- Various college and community activities.
- Cultural activities including plays, ballets and musicals.
- College admissions counseling, including assistance with completing financial aid and college admissions applications.
Summer Residency Program
During the summer, students who participated during the school year will be invited to live on the USC campus for six weeks and become involved in a variety of activities, including:
- Academic enrichment classes.
- Cultural enrichment classes such as theatre, music, pottery and web design.
- University level course for seniors to help prepare them for the transition to college.
- Work-study activities that introduce students to various professions.
- Group activities to help strengthen team building and interpersonal skills.
Access the policies and procedures for the Upward Bound Summer Program.
We're here for you.
If you have questions, we're happy to help. If you are a current UofSC student, call
803-777-5125 or visit our office at 1400 Wheat St. If you are a college-bound student
currently attending middle or high school, call 803-777-5127 or visit our office at
1338 Pickens St.