Applying for the Ronald E. McNair Program
Pursue your graduate degrees with support from this program which offers expanded faculty mentoring and other academic opportunities.
Preparing Students for Grad School
The TRIO McNair Program helps eligible undergraduates pursue graduate degrees. The program offers expanded faculty mentoring, research experience and other academic opportunities with the goal of increasing the number of Ph.D. recipients who are first-generation or low-income students, and who are from underrepresented groups in graduate education.
The program consists of summer and academic year activities. Students enter the program
during the spring, participate in the summer research component and, during the following
academic year, continue their research projects and complete the requirements for
graduate school enrollment by attending an online course.
As a TRIO McNair Scholar, you'll:
- Get help applying for and enrolling in graduate school.
- Attend summer orientation for graduate school and academic careers.
- Earn a $2,700 stipend for completing summer research and academic year activities.
- Build closer relationships with faculty research advisors and mentors.
- Conduct research and present your findings.
- Have opportunities to publish in professional and academic journals.
All participants in the TRIO McNair Program must:
- Be undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Enrolled in and attending an accredited four-year college in South Carolina
- Have completed at least 60 credit hours with a 3.0 overall GPA.
We're here for you.
If you have questions, we're happy to help. If you are a current UofSC student, call
803-777-5125 or visit our office at 1400 Wheat St. If you are a college-bound student
currently attending middle or high school, call 803-777-5127 or visit our office at
1338 Pickens St.