Skip to Content

Office of Undergraduate Admissions

USC student riding skateboard to class

International Freshmen

International freshman applicants must be high school graduates (students that have the equivalent of a diploma in the United States).

Applying as an International Transfer student instead? International Transfer refers to any non-U.S. citizen who has attempted any college work at a college or university after graduating from secondary or high school.

Admission steps to complete:

Fill out the University's application form completely.

There is a $100 non-refundable application fee for international students. Access our online application to begin.

Submit your official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic Test scores.

Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page to learn more about submitting your official documents.

English proficiency is measured through the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A score of at least 550 on the paper based exam or 77 on the internet based TOEFL is required. USC also accepts the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the PTE Academic Test. Students must score at least a 6.5 on the IELTS, or at least a 53 on the PTE.

Please note that citizens from the following countries are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS/PTE requirement:

  • American Samoa
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • Canada (note: residents of Quebec students must take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE)
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Grand Cayman
  • Guam
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Liberia
  • New Zealand
  • Sierra Leone
  • Trinidad/Tobago
  • United Kingdom
Submit official SAT or ACT scores if you are:
  • Applying for admissions to the South Carolina Honors College or want to be considered for merit-based scholarships
  • Have attended high school in the United States for two years or longer

*The University of South Carolina-Columbia's SAT code is 5818. For the ACT, it is 3880.

Submit all official (or attested) high school transcripts.

Submit official (or attested copy) transcript(s) from all high school records in their native language. In addition, if your transcript is not in English, you must submit a certified transcript translated into English by a school official.

Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page to learn more about submitting official documents.

If you apply for admission before graduating from high school, you must submit an official (or attested copy) of all final transcript(s) and an updated credentials evaluation after you graduate from high school.

Submit a professional credentials evaluation with GPA. 

If you have attended any school outside of the United States, you must submit an official professional credentials evaluation. Freshman (first-year) applicants must submit a document-by-document or course-by-course evaluation from a NACES ( approved company with the GPA included. An admissions decision will not be made until the evaluation and all transcripts are on file. US citizens (freshman or transfer applicants) who have attempted any courses outside the United States must submit a credentials evaluation and transcripts from their international work with a GPA reported on a U.S. grading scale. More information on the credentials evaluation process can be found below.

Please note that citizens from the following areas are exempt from needing to submit a credential evaluation:

  • Aruba
  • State of Rhineland-Palatinate/Rhineland Pfalz, Germany
  • State of Thuringen, Germany
  • State of Brandenburg, Germany
  • State of Queensland, Australia
  • Province of Taiwan, Republic of China

Below is the contact information of two companies that frequently provide us with evaluations.

Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Educational Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
Phone: 305-273-1616 

SpanTran: The Evaluation Company

450 7th Avenue, Suite 1107
New York, NY 10123
Phone: 305-749-0333

World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: 212-739-6311