Skip to Content

My USC Salkehatchie

Student Loans

Student loans, unlike grants and work-study, are borrowed money that must be repaid, with interest  Before you borrow, consider carefully how much you will need to borrow and the burden your loans will impose after you leave school. The Financial Aid Administrator at your institution can provide you with more information on the responsibilities you assume when you borrow money.

Federal Direct Loan

The federal Direct Loan program provides low interest, long-term loans to eligible students through the U.S. Department of Education. To apply, you must complete the FAFSA. For more information about this loan program, visit:

Entrance and Exit Loan Counseling

Students who receive Federal Direct Loans must complete Loan Counseling.

  • Entrance Loan Counseling will provide you with information about your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. It is required before your loans will disburse. Visit to complete the counseling.
  • Exit Loan Counseling is required after a borrower departs the university and will provide important information about repayment.  To complete your loan counseling, visit