Who Are You?
All applicants should have acquired competence in one of the fields of basic science. However, more important than any fixed entrance requirements, your academic record and other credentials must indicate the potential to progress satisfactorily in graduate studies.
Students that are typically accepted into the SEOE graduate program have an undergraduate GPA exceeding 3.0 and letters of recommendation that rank them in the upper 25 percent of their cohort. The SEOE does not have a specific set of required undergraduate courses but bases its admission mainly on demonstrated ability to do academic work and interest in the field of Geosciences, Marine Sciences, or Environmental Sciences.
Your Research Interests
We suggest that you explore our faculty's areas of research before completing your statement of purpose. You should also reach out to faculty members who share your research interests to discuss potential projects.
Successful applicants are required to have a minimum verbal score of 146 with a minimum quantitative score of 144. GRE scores expire after five years, however, for admission to the PhD program, you will not be required to retake the GRE if you have taken the exam and received a minimum total verbal and quantitative score; you have a Master of Science Degree from an accredited U.S. institution with an undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or higher; and you have recommendations from qualified referees.
SEOE Graduate Admission
You'll apply through the University of South Carolina Graduate School. In addition to the online Application, you'll need to submit the following:
- Statement of Purpose (SOP): a 200-300 word essay, or under 3 pages, explaining your research interests in Geological Science, Marine Science, or MEERM-Enviornmental Science, your professional goals and your current plans for fulfilling your goals.
- Resume / CV
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty or other professionals in the field
- Undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcript(s)
- Official GRE scores
- Official TOEFL score or the IELTS Intl. Academic Course Type 2 exam (if applicable). The minimum acceptable score on the TOEFL is 80 (internet-based). The minimum acceptable overall band score on the IELTS Intl. Academic Course Type 2 exam is 6.5.
- Official LSAT score (if applicable for MEERM/JD program)
- International Students: Please review the information regarding international applicants on the USC Graduate School’s webpage.
Applications should be submitted prior to January 8 to receive full consideration for assistantships and awards for Summer and Fall semesters. Most assistantship and award decisions are made during the early spring (March-April) for Summer and Fall admission.
Spring and Summer term admissions are rare and are accepted only in special circumstances where you have discussed the possibility of admission in one of these terms with your potential faculty mentor and the graduate director. Please select a Fall application term if you have not already discussed early admission with faculty mentor and graduate director. Spring applications are due by October 1.