The focus of Columbia's Cooking is to make healthy living both great tasting and fit realistically into your busy schedule. So much of our lives revolve around food, and there is now a wealth of research—much of it conducted here at the Cancer Prevention and Control Program—showing that what we eat affects our health, whether we want to prevent disease before it develops or control already existing cancer, heart disease, diabetes or another chronic illness. However, the reality is that many people are too busy to plan extensive menus and set aside the time it would take to prepare complicated dishes; in addition, many of the fancy and exotic ingredients called for in cookbooks are too expensive and hard to find. Columbia's Cooking is here to show you that healthy cooking can be easy, tasty and affordable using ingredients found at your local stores. Through demonstration and hands-on classes, participants in our classes learn where every ingredient in the weekly dishes comes from, how each one is used in the dishes and how the final creation tastes. Classes are offered throughout the year.
For additional course information and free resources on how to improve your health with diet and lifestyle changes, please visit www.ColumbiasCooking.org.
- Pre-registration is required. Visit the Marketplace site for specific class and registration information.
- Payment is required to complete registration.
- Class size minimum is 10 people. Classes may be cancelled if the minimum is not met. Avoid cancellations: get your friends to register!
- Bring an apron and kitchen towel for use in class. If you have a favorite knife, feel free to bring it.
- Columbia's Cooking class cancellation and refund policies:
- Classes are non-refundable, and payment is non-transferable to another class (you may have another person attend in your place, but you must inform us prior to the class).
- Classes canceled due to inclement weather, instructor illness or failure to meet class size minimums will either be rescheduled or refunded at the discretion of Columbia’s Cooking.
- If you are worried that a class may be canceled, please call us at 803-576-5636 for information. We will do our best to contact you if a class has been canceled.