The College of Social Work understands the global influence on social work practice. As a social work student at the University of South Carolina, you can share life experiences with classmates and reflect on your diverse world views by learning how to apply cultural differences into effective practice for diverse populations.
Whether you are helping refugees resettle, striving to improve migrant worker health, coordinating discharge care for a non-English speaker or working abroad for a non-governmental agency, understanding cultural cues will boost your effectiveness as a clinician or policy adviser. College of Social Work programs have taken our students to places such as:
- Equatorial Guinea
Buddhism & Social Work in Japan
*Tour Cost: $6,000 plus specified meals, personal expenses, shopping, and applicable fees
Japan is an ultimate convergence of modern technology and ancient spirituality. Among the bustling metropolitan cityscapes, explore the tranquility of Buddhism and the contributions it has made to the field of social work.
• Explore the neighborhoods of Asakusa and Akihabara in Tokyo
• Experience the exciting Teamlab Planets Exhibition
• Ride the Bullet Train cross country to each destination
• Experience a traditional tea ceremony
• Attend a professional baseball game
• Visit Fushimi Inari and Arashiyama in Kyoto
• Explore a 11.4 meter bronze Buddha in Kamakura
• Visit Miyajima Island and Itsukushima Shrine in Hiroshima
• Tour Hiroshima’s Peace Memorial Museum & Park
• You’ll also visit the famous Shibuya Scramble Crossing and more!
*Please note that events listed here and on final itinerary are subject to change.
• Roundtrip airfare to/from Tokyo, Japan
• 14 nights of accommodation (Hotels & Traditional Japanese Inn, multiple occupancy)
• 14 breakfasts (included with accommodation)
• In-country transportation
• Welcome & Farewell group dinners
• Entrance to all venues and tours listed on final itinerary
• Single occupancy upgrade
• Trip interruption insurance
• Lunches & Dinners not included in itinerary
• Required vaccinations, and required medical clearance documentation
• Personal expenses and shopping
Price per student is $6,000 + Education Abroad required application and insurance fees. Program fees are non-refundable. If the program is cancelled by UofSC prior to departure, recoverable costs will be refunded. This trip is limited to 15 participants and is expected to fill quickly; reserve your space by submitting your first payment soon.
Reserve your space by Dec 15, 2023
1st Program Fee payment of $1,500 — due by Dec. 15, 2023
2nd Program Fee payment of $1,500 — due by Jan. 15, 2024
3rd Program Fee payment of $1,500 — due by Feb. 15, 2024
4th Program Fee payment of $1,500 — due by Mar. 15, 2024
Contact Anna May (May8@mailbox.sc.edu) for any questions related to the trip itinerary, payment, etc.