USC Dance Program: ‘Come Dance With US(C)!’
The University of South Carolina Dance Program and will host “Come Dance With US(C),” a “FUNdraiser” for scholarships, April 30 in its new band/dance facility at 324 Sumter St.
Tickets for the 7 p.m. event are $100 per person or $150 for couples and are available by calling 803-777-1001. Free valet parking will be available courtesy of Southern Valet. Loosh Culinaire will cater the event. Cocktails and wine will be provided.
Attendees will be greeted at the door by break dancers and the tropical sounds of steel drummer Ryan Stokes of the S.C. Steel Band. They can then venture “backstage,” touring the facility’s three dance studios in which ballet, contemporary dance and the talents of children from the USC Dance Conservatory will be on display. A silent auction will feature artwork, vacation packages, jewelry and more.
“I wanted to set the tone and mood of a fun and diverse evening of dance performed by our 90 majors,” said artistic director Susan Anderson. “I plan for our guests to experience a dance happening from the minute they enter.”
The evening’s main event will take place in the facility’s performance hall and will feature the USC Dance Company displaying dance styles ranging from hip hop, contemporary and ballet.
In addition to dance students, scheduled main stage guest artists include the following:
• Local celebrity Susan Audé Fisher, who will dance a wheelchair-based tango;
• School of Music dean Tayloe Harding and head cheerleading coach Erika Goodwin, who will reprise their award-winning “Dancing With the Deans” swing routine;
• Jose de Guadelupe, a flamenco dancer from Greenville;
• Thaddeus Davis and Tanya Wideman-Davis of Columbia’s contemporary dance troupe.
After the main performances, attendees are invited to dance to the sounds of local band “Heart ‘N Soul.”
All funds raised will support scholarships for new students in the program, which Anderson calls “the crown jewel in the world of dance in the Southeast.”
For more information about the “Come Dance With US(C)” fundraiser, call Kevin Bush in the department of theatre and dance, 803-777-9353.
'Come Dance With US(C)'
- What: Fundraiser for USC Dance Program
- When: Saturday, April 30, 7 p.m.
- Where: New band/dance facility, 324 Sumter St.