USCís top 12 stories for 2012
The holidays are the perfect time to reflect on the past year. Here are the top 12 stories in 2012 that readers viewed on the University of South Carolina’s website.
1. USC doctoral student unravels ‘tin whisker’ mystery
2. PNAS: Topper site in middle of comet controversy
3. Top Honor for SC Honors College
4. USC faculty among ‘The Best 300 Professors’
5. Time to get cocky: It’s Homecoming week
6. Clothing the body electric
7. Freshmen should use time at Carolina to explore
8. USC honors top students at Awards Day
9. Historic campus takes a bow in new exhibit
10. Making a splash in Omaha
11. The Proving Ground: USC launches bold startup competition for students
12. GameDay returns to the Horseshoe
Curious about the stories that rounded out the top 15?
Well, here they are:
Summer camps offer a world of adventure,
USC retail student is ‘sew’ fashion-forward and
Carolina on King brings Gamecock community to Charleston.
Carolina also has much to celebrate looking back at 2012. Here are a few of the highlights:
* graduated the first class of Gamecock Guarantee students;
* opened the School of Medicine Greenville, the International House at Maxcy on campus and the Carolina on King visitor center in Charleston;
* celebrated top national academic rankings and its naming as a top university for diversity and inclusivity;
* launched Palmetto College with the implementation of Back to Carolina;
* acquired a large collection of Ernest Hemingway’s published works;
* established an Institute for Mind and Brain for neuroscience research;
* announced a $5 million gift for the McNair Center for Aerospace Innovation and Research;
* recognized four faculty who were inducted into the American Association for the Advancement of Science, bringing USC’s total number of AAAS scholars to 23;
* honored a record 12 USC students who were selected as Fulbright scholars;
* launched publically its Carolina’s Promise $1 billion capital campaign (now at $635.8 million) and No Limits branding campaign; and
* enjoyed great baseball, women’s basketball and football seasons and welcomed ESPN’s GameDay to the historic Horseshoe.
News and Internal Communications
Posted: 12/20/12 @ 12:00 PM | Updated: 01/18/13 @ 3:45 PM | Permalink