Registration for Summer Term Orientation is closed.
Registration for Summer Term Orientation is currently closed. Please check back later in the year for updates!
Summer Term Orientation Overview
If you are beginning classes in May or June (Summer Term), you are required to attend a Summer Term Orientation session in May. These are in-person, one-day sessions during which you will need to be available beginning from 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. During your session you will hear from university faculty and staff, meet with an Orientation Leader and peers, attend an academic college visit, learn about university resources and take care of several campus business items. In addition, this is when you will meet with an advisor and get registered for fall courses. A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided during your session. Students must participate in all components of their Orientation session in order to successfully complete advising and registration.
In order to have a successful advising and registration process during New Student Orientation, it is important that you complete the following tasks at least two weeks before your session:
- Complete all items in your Admissions portal: Your Admissions Portal contains information that must be completed before you attend your New Student Orientation and enroll for classes at South Carolina. It is essential you complete all items in the Admissions Portal.
- Submit your Citizenship Verification: Log on to your UofSC Admissions Portal to check if your status was previously verified based on information provided on your FAFSA. If you have not submitted a FAFSA, you will be required to complete the Citizenship Verification Form. If your citizenship has not been verified, complete the Citizenship Verification Form. Visit sc.edu/registrar for more information on the residency certification process.
- Submit your Residency Verification (for SC Residents only): Students claiming South Carolina residency for tuition purposes are required to verify residency. Log on to your UofSC Admissions Portal to check if your South Carolina residency has been verified. We will use the information provided on your FAFSA to determine whether you need to complete the South Carolina Residency Certification Form. If you have not submitted a FAFSA, you will be required to complete the form. If your residency has not been verified, complete the S.C. Residency Certification Form through your portal. Visit sc.edu/registrar for more information on the residency certification process.
- Submit your Immunization Form: Submit your completed Immunization Record Form no later than two weeks prior to your New Student Orientation. Upload your records to sc.edu/myhealthspace portal under "Immunizations." Login with your network username and password and your birth date. Forms may also be faxed to 803-777-3955/ 803-777-3960 or mailed to the Allergy, Immunization & Travel Clinic, 1409 Devine Street, Columbia, SC 29208.
- Confirm your Major: If you are considering a major change prior to attending Orientation, make a “New Student Major Change Interest” appointment to speak with an Exploratory Advisor in the University Advising Center. Your Exploratory Advisor will make sure you have all of the correct information. Make an appointment by visiting sc.campus.eab.com. You may also contact the University Advising Center at 803-777-1222 or firstname.lastname@example.org. It is critical that you attend Orientation with the correct major. If you plan on changing your major, please do so at least a week before your session.
- Register for and Complete for your Math Placement Exam: All students are required to take the online Math Placement Test no later than two weeks before your New Student Orientation. You will record your test score on your Pre-Orientation Advising Worksheet. For more information including practice tests and instructions for completing the test online, visit math.sc.edu/assess.
- Register for and Complete your Foreign Language Placement Exam: Every student at South Carolina is required to take the Foreign Language Placement Exam before taking a foreign language course to determine whether they meet course prerequisites. For further information, please visit the Language Placement Testing Website.
- Have copies of your Unofficial Transcripts and any AP/IB Score Reports: Have copies of your AP/IB/Cambridge (AICE) scores and dual enrollment transcripts available during your New Student Orientation. If your scores do not arrive before your scheduled advising session, make a list of the test(s) you have taken and share this with your advisor. If official transcripts are not available, you may use an unofficial transcript during your session. Your advisor may also ask you to email copies of these documents prior to your meeting.
- Complete your Pre-Orientation Advising Modules and Worksheet: You will access and view your Pre-Orientation Advising Modules in your Orientation Portal after registration. Please complete all modules, as well as your Pre-Orientation Advising Worksheet in order to prepare for your advising and registration appointment during New Student Orientation.
Dates and Fees
Summer Term Orientation is a one-day program. Students should plan to be available from 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Check back soon for updates!
Students: $130 per student
Guests: $50 per guest. Click here to learn more about the Family and Guest Orientation program.
The New Student Orientation registration fee covers all supplies and resources used during your session. It also covers your meals, parking, facility rentals, equipment, printing and staff salaries.
Changing or Cancelling Your Session
Sessions remain open until filled. If the session does not fill, it will close two business days prior to its start. You are able to change your New Student Orientation reservation at anytime, as long as the new desired date is still open. If you need to cancel your reservation, you will need to do so at least two weeks prior to your session in order to request a refund. To request a refund, please email our office at email@example.com. In your email, please include the following student information:
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Contact information
- Reason for refund
There is a $35 administration fee associated with all refunds. You will receive an email confirmation upon your request being approved.