Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, beginning July 1, 2020, University Libraries buildings will enforce the following policies to ensure the health and safety of patrons. These policies apply to UofSC students, faculty, and staff as well as visitors not affiliated with the University.
- Face coverings are required in all public spaces within library buildings
- The library is open for individual study only
- Patrons are required to maintain physical separation from others, with the optimum distance being 6 feet apart
- Patrons may not bring food into the library
- Physical materials must be requested through the library’s website
- Patrons may not access areas of the library that are designated closed to the public
- Patrons should follow directions on signs and/or from staff related to use of space
- Patrons may experience delay in their ability to enter the library due to occupancy limits
- UofSC students, faculty and staff will be required to present their Carolina Card upon entrance to the library
Failure to adhere to these policies will result in disciplinary action according to University Policy [pdf].
University Libraries locations are closed to the general public at this time. Visitors not affiliated with the University of South Carolina may request an appointment to access library collections or visit service areas located within the libraries. Appointments may be granted on a limited basis. All visitors will be required to register and to follow safety protocols. Visitors using the building for purposes other than those for which they have been admitted may be asked to leave.
Previous policies on building use are also still in effect.
University Libraries’ facilities* are intended for use by University of South Carolina students, faculty and staff for research, study and learning, and access to support services offered by our University partners. As a division of a state-supported public institution, University Libraries strives to make our on-site collections as available as possible to community users, while simultaneously fulfilling our primary obligation to the University of South Carolina Columbia campus.
The University Libraries operate several facilities on the University of South Carolina Columbia campus. These spaces are governed by University Policy. In order to maintain a welcoming environment conducive to research and study, all library patrons are expected to conduct themselves in a responsible manner. University Libraries may refuse access to the building and/or service to any user who acts irresponsibly by disrupting use of the facilities or by being disrespectful to other users or employees. Unacceptable behaviors include but are not limited to the following:
- Being disruptive in any manner that creates in the University Libraries an environment that is not conducive to study or research;
- Preventing or postponing timely access to the library or University resources through theft or misuse of materials or equipment.
- Violation of any laws or University policies, including policies on computers and network use, electronic communications, and sexual harassment; and
- Vandalism or defacement of materials, equipment, or library property.
Additional policies apply to specific library spaces. For more information, please visit:
*Thomas Cooper Library, South Caroliniana Library, Ernest F. Hollings Special Collections Library, Music Library, Moving Image Research Collections, and the Library Annex and Conservation Facility.