Skip to Content

Department of Sociology

  • A sundial.

Accelerated Bachelor's and Master's Degree

Did you know that graduates with a master's degree in sociology typically have higher employability prospects and earn more than those with an undergraduate degree?The Accelerated Bachelors program will give you the option to start working toward your master's degree while you're still an undergraduate student. 

How Does it Work?

This program allows you to take up to twelve graduate hours of course work and receive both undergraduate and graduate credit for those 12 hours. The credits can be applied to your baccalaureate program and, with graduate program admission and approval, to a graduate degree. 


Am I Eligible? 

To apply to the program, you must have completed at least 90 hours of undergraduate course work with a minimum GPA of 3.4 overall as well as in their undergraduate major. You also need approval from your undergraduate advisor, the graduate director of the relevant program, the Dean of the Graduate School, and the instructor for each course to be taken. Your academic advisor can help you with securing these signatures.


Will I Have to Write a Thesis?

No, you'll only need to write a thesis if you're admitted in the M.A. or Ph.D. program. Participating in the Accelerated Bachelor's/Graduate Study program does not commit you to writing a thesis.


How Do I Register for the Program?

Two forms must be completed and approved prior to registering for classes:

  1. Plan Authorization form (G-BGPA) [pdf] (only needs to be completed once)
  2. Course Work Authorization form (G-BGCA) [pdf]

You should follow all the directions on the form in regards to timing. The form has to be processed at the time of registration and can't be used retroactively for courses you've already taken or are currently enrolled. 


Admission to the Graduate Program

You don't need to apply or be admitted to a graduate program to complete this program. This program doesn't guarantee your admission to the graduate program. In order to do that you'll need to apply through the regular graduate admission process



If you're thinking about the program, contact your academic advisor and the graduate program director at

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.