There are two primary types of COVID-19 tests available to students, faculty and staff at the university. Both are designed to detect an active infection.
Saliva Assay Free Expedited (SAFE) Testing
The Saliva Assay Free Expedited (SAFE) test is quick and noninvasive. It should only be used by individuals that are not experiencing COVID-19 symptoms like fever, cough or shortness of breath. Results can typically be shared within 24-72 hours after the sample is collected. SAFE testing is only available to current students, faculty and staff. Learn more at sc.edu/salivatest.
COVID-19 Saliva Testing Schedule
Please check the schedule regularly as locations or times may change.
Face coverings are required at all testing sites.
If you have a group of more than five that require testing for travel, please call 803-576-7705 to schedule testing a week prior to the testing date.
As of July 1, 2022, you must renew your consent acknowledgement before coming to the testing site:
- Log in to MyHealthSpace with your university username and password. To update your password, go to myaccount.sc.edu/iam/.
- In the left menu, click "Medical Clearances."
- Scroll down to "Additional items NOT required for clearance" and click the green update button next to "COVID-19 Testing Consent & HIPAA Agreement."
- Scroll down and then check the item under "Acknowledgment."
- Click blue "Submit Final" button.
- Click "Proceed.
- 7:30 a.m.–4 p.m. student, faculty and staff saliva testing, 1311 Pendleton St.
- 7:30 a.m.–12 p.m. student, faculty and staff saliva testing, 1311 Pendleton St.
Please note: Testing parking is adjacent to the 1311 Pendleton building (spaces 1-20).
Please do not park in perimeter spaces.
Before you come to a test site:
- No appointment needed at any of the saliva test sites.
- Do not eat, drink, smoke or vape, brush your teeth or chew gum or mints for 30 minutes before testing.
- You may have clear water up until 10 minutes before testing. Hydrate well on your test day.
- Bring your Carolina Card.
SAFE COVID-19 Test Results : Once your SAFE test results are finalized, you will be sent a notification to your university email account. SAFE test results will be available in your MyHealthSpace account. Once logged in to your MyHealthSpace account, go to Medical Records on left-hand navigation or under the menu button (mobile). Then, click on the Lab tab. Your test result should be posted here. If you have a positive result, Student Health Services will also contact you with guidance and for contact tracing.
COVID-19 Self-Collected Nasal Swab Testing
The nasal swab test is free, quick and painless. You will self-collect your own sample with a Q-Tip like swab. Results can typically be shared within 24 hours after the sample is collected.
This method of testing is reserved for those with symptoms consistent with COVID-19 who have been evaluated by a health care provider at Student Health Services. It is very important that any student, faculty or staff that develop significant symptoms of COVID-19, like fever, cough or shortness of breath, contact their healthcare provider for evaluation. Students can make an appointment at MyHealthSpace.
COVID-19 Nasal Swab Test Result: Once your test results are finalized, you will be sent a notification to your university email account. Test results will be available in your MyHealthSpace account. Once logged in to your MyHealthSpace account, go to Medical Records on left-hand navigation or under the menu button (mobile). Then, click on the Lab tab. Your test result should be posted here. If you have a positive result, Student Health Services will also contact you with guidance and for contact tracing.
Access Your Telemedicine appointment
Telemedicine appointments require that the Zoom application be installed on your computer or mobile device. These Zoom sessions are secure and HIPAA compliant.
- Log in to MyHealthSpace
- Click Medical Clearances and complete the required forms (if not already completed): Informed Consent for Telehealth (Primary Care & Women's Health)
- Click Appointments
- Click Appointment Check-in
- Verify your location and click OK (you must be in the state of South Carolina)
- Click on Click here to join the meeting
The link will open a new browser window. If you already installed the Zoom app, click 'Open Zoom Meetings' from your computer or wait for the app to open on your mobile device. If you do not have Zoom, you will be prompted to download and install the app.
Once downloaded and installed, the Zoom meeting should auto populate the app. If you cannot download or run the Zoom application, click 'join from your browser.' Enter your name and click 'Join.' You will now be placed in a virtual waiting room. Your provider will join you at your appointment time.