UofSC Columbia affiliated researchers can now publish primary research and review articles as open access in any of Wiley’s hybrid journals at no charge to the author. This is subject to the availability of sufficient funds in eligible Carolina Consortium institutions' Wiley Open Access Accounts.
The UofSC Libraries is part of a Wiley Read and Publish (R&P) deal coordinated by the Carolina Consortium that will provide subscription access to nearly 1,500 journals, plus a shared pool of no-cost Open Access (OA) vouchers equivalent to the consortium's average annual Wiley hybrid article output over the past three years. Nearly 40 consortium institutions are participating in this R&P deal for the 2022 subscription year.
“I am proud that the University of South Carolina Libraries has joined the Carolina Consortium’s Wiley Read and Publish program. This program shows the value of cross-institutional collaboration and will help make the world-class research and scholarship produced by UofSC faculty and graduate students freely available around the world,” Dr. Miranda Bennett, UofSC Libraries Associate Dean for Collections, says of the agreement.
Julia Johnston, a PhD student in Clinical-Community Psychology, recently published Changes in the Developmental Status of Preschoolers with Sickle Cell Disease in Pediatric Blood & Cancer. Johnson notes that “publishing open access increases research accessibility. It is critical for researchers to ensure the patients/participants we serve have access to and can benefit from published research findings. A coauthor was also required to publish open access through a fellowship, so I was glad to be able to use this service.”
Why publish open access?
- High Visibility - Articles are made freely available
- Easy Compliance - Meet open access mandates automatically
- Copyright Retention - Articles are published under a Creative Commons license
- Automatic Deposit - Where relevant, articles are automatically deposited to PubMed Central (PMC)
To be eligible:
- Your manuscript must have been accepted on or after January 1, 2022.
- You must be the corresponding author affiliated with UofSC Columbia at the point of acceptance.
- All primary research and review articles qualify.
- Authors will need to select “hybrid open access” during the author submission workflow on Wiley’s.
- If you have available grant funding to cover author processing charges, we encourage you to use those funds.
For eligibility details and more information, please visit OA Publishing with Wiley and Carolina Consortium.