To honor and acknowledge the generosity and support of our donors' gifts, the university provides special recognition through a variety of cumulative, annual and gift-planning societies. Donors with gifts qualifying them for inclusion in these societies are notified via mail and also receive a car decal as a token of gratitude.
The heart and soul of the University of South Carolina, the Horseshoe marks the original site of the university, chartered in 1801 as South Carolina College. The Horseshoe, recognized as one of the most beautiful original campuses in the country, is a treasured spot for students, faculty and hundreds of visitors to appreciate and enjoy.
The Horseshoe Society honors donors who have made cumulative gifts of $100,000 or more. Initially, 249 charter members were inducted into the Horseshoe Society in 1998, including 19 who had made gifts of $1 million or more. Today, there are more than 1,718 individual members, with an additional 40 family foundations. Of these, more than 100 have made gifts of $1 million or more, with 16 having made gifts of $5 million or more.
Alumni and friends who have made an annual gift to USC for two or more consecutive years are given exclusive membership to Carolina Circle. These generous donors are among our most loyal constituents and help ensure students past, present and future are given every opportunity to succeed both in and out of the classroom.
To qualify for membership in the Carolina Guardian Society, donors must make a commitment, confirmed in writing and subject to certain restrictions, that includes one of the following:
- A bequest in a will or revocable trust
- A life income gift that names the University of South Carolina or one of its affiliated foundations as a remainder beneficiary, such as a charitable remainder trust or a charitable gift annuity
- A charitable lead trust that provides income to the University of South Carolina or one of its affiliated foundations for your lifetime or a term of years
- A gift or assignment of qualified retirement plan assets, such as an IRA, 401(k), or 403(b)
- Other options that allow donors to plan their gifts while meeting their personal goals
To join the Carolina Guardian Society, please complete our member form.