Dear Faculty, Staff and Students,
I write today to update you on our spring academic calendar, including plans for spring break.
Over the past two months, my team has met with students, faculty and staff to put together a robust spring academic schedule that allows for continued face-to-face instruction and a traditional campus experience while protecting the community from the spread of COVID-19. In those discussions, our foremost consideration was the health, safety and welfare of our students, faculty, staff and our neighbors in the local community.
The future is uncertain. However, from the beginning, our medical team and epidemiologists viewed the wide spread of our student population for departures such as spring break to be one of our greatest risks. Therefore, our spring academic calendar will not include a traditional spring break. Instead, the schedule replaces the historical March spring break with an equivalent number of "wellness days" spread throughout the semester.
The approach is supported by medical science and allows for students and faculty to get breaks while curbing the type of extended travel that leads to increased viral spread. This also aligns UofSC with many other universities nationwide, including eight other schools in the Southeastern Conference, that have already announced they are forgoing a traditional spring break.
I certainly understand your disappointment with this announcement. However, I, and the medical community, firmly believe it is the right thing to do in light of the unprecedented worldwide pandemic.
Please take care of yourself over the remainder of this semester, study hard, and I look forward to welcoming you back to campus in January. The official spring academic calendar is promulgated below.
For Full Term Classes
- Classes Begin - Monday, Jan. 11
- Martin Luther King Day Holiday - Monday, Jan. 18
- Last day to change/drop a course without a grade of W being recorded (Part of Term 30) - Tuesday, Jan. 19
- Presidents Day Holiday - Monday, Feb. 15
- Last day to apply for May graduation - Monday, Feb. 15
- Wellness Holiday - Thursday, Feb. 25
- Wellness Holiday - Friday, Mar. 12
- Last day to drop a course or withdraw without a grade of WF being recorded (Part of Term 30) - Saturday, Mar. 27
- Wellness Holiday - Tuesday, Mar. 30
- Wellness Holiday - Wednesday, Apr. 21
- Last Day of Classes - Monday, Apr. 26
- Reading Day - Tuesday, Apr. 27
- Final Examinations (including exams on Saturday) - Wednesday, Apr. 28 to Wednesday, May 5
- Commencement Exercises in Columbia - Friday, May 7 and Saturday, May 8
Note: No classes, assignments or tests due on all Holidays.
William F. Tate IV
Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost