Skip to Content

My Arts and Sciences

Academic Resources

Here you’ll find answers to study abroad questions, how to go about taking classes at another institution, and calculating your GPA. 

The Office of Undergraduate Studies signs all academic forms on behalf of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Submit your completed form online at and we’ll process it within 5 business days.


Once you’ve decided to study abroad for academic credit (either for a short term trip, a semester or year), you’ll work with the Education Abroad Office to plan your trip—your first step is to contact this office.  Next, you’ll need to choose a program and then Apply.  You’ll need approval from the course instructor, your academic advisor, and the Office of Undergraduate Studies. 

The Office of Undergraduate Studies, located in Flinn Hall, Room 110, manages academic procedures and conflicts. Flinn Hall is located on the Historic Horseshoe, directly behind the War Memorial on the corner of Pendleton Street and Sumter Street. To contact this office, please call 803-777-2993. 

If you need a form signed by the dean,  please submit it online here, email it to or drop it off at Flinn Hall. 

Use our calculators to project your Semester or Institutional GPA. Remember that official grades (not these calculators) are the most accurate resource for grade information.

How to Use The Semester/Cumulative GPA Calculator: 

Semester GPA:

  • For semester GPA, enter the credit hours for each course that you are enrolled in.  
  • Select the grade you earned or think you will earn in each course. 
  • Next to the semester GPA box at the bottom, press the "Calculate" button. 

Cumulative GPA:

  • For cumulative GPA, enter the cumulative GPA you have earned so far. 
  • Enter the total GPA hours that you have earned so far. 
  • This can be found on your Unofficial Transcript 
  • Enter the amount of credit hours for each class that you are currently enrolled in. 
  • Select the grade you earned or think you will earn in each course. 
  • Next to the cumulative GPA box at the bottom, press the "Calculate" button. 

If you take classes at another college or university other than USC Columbia, you will need to (a) submit an approval request in advance and (b) request official transcripts from that college be sent to USC after you complete your coursework. You must take your last 30-32 credit hours at USC Columbia, unless you receive approval to take some of these hours at another institution.

You may take up to 18 credit hours of courses in transient status provided that:

  • You are in good academic standing.
  • The courses are approved in advance by your academic advisor and the Office of Undergraduate Studies, located in Flinn Hall, on a Special Enrollment Request [pdf] (AS 30). Submit completed form online at
  • The other institution is fully accredited and the course work meets University specifications for transfer credits. Transient work must be passed with a grade of C or higher. All work taken at other institutions is treated as transfer work and is not included in the USC GPA.


Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.