The College of Arts and Sciences leadership is divided among deans who oversee specific academic and administrative areas within the college. Advancement and alumni relations, human resources and budget offices assist in the management and administration of the college.
Dean Ford provides academic and administrative leadership to the largest college of the University of South Carolina. He provides oversight for budget, curriculum development and policies and procedures.
Dr. Benitez-Nelson is the academic liaison between the dean’s office and the departments of Biology, Mathematics, the School of the Earth, Ocean & Environment, and Statistics. Dr. Benitez-Nelson reviews all third-year, tenure, promotion, and post-tenure review files for these units, as well as hiring requests, administrative annual reviews, sabbatical requests, academic program reviews, and nominations for named professorships and faculty and student awards in the sciences.
Dr. Benitez-Nelson fosters undergraduate research opportunities by enhancing the value of an Arts and Sciences degree. She develops strategies to encourage community engagement on and off campus and works with University Housing, the Honors College, and the College’s Academic Advising Team to promote innovation on campus.
Dr. Davis is the academic liaison between the dean’s office and the departments of English; history; languages, literatures, and culture; philosophy; religious studies; theatre and dance; and the School of Visual Art and Design, as well as all centers and institutes related to the arts, humanities, and social sciences. Dr. Davis reviews all third-year, tenure, promotion, and post-tenure review files for these units, as well as hiring requests, administrative annual reviews, sabbatical requests, academic program reviews, ,and nominations for named professorships and faculty and student awards in the arts and humanities.
She is also tasked with generating and implementing college initiatives designed to more effectively communicate the value of degrees in arts and sciences to a variety of audiences.
Dr. Knapp is responsible for representing the college in all matters related to undergraduate services, including working with the Division of Student Affairs and Academic Support and serving on a wide-range of committees.
Dr. Weldon is the academic liaison between the dean’s office and the departments of anthropology, criminology and criminal justice, political science and sociology as well as interdisciplinary programs within the college. Dr. Weldon reviews all third-year, tenure, promotion, and post-tenure review files for these units, as well as hiring requests, administrative annual reviews, sabbatical requests, academic program reviews, ,and nominations for named professorships and faculty and student awards in the social sciences and interdisciplinary programs.
In her role overseeing diversity and inclusion, she provides input into decision making, strategic planning and hiring initiatives to enhance diversity, inclusion and equity. Dr. Weldon also works with the USC Chief Diversity Officer and other members of the university’s Council of Academic Diversity Officers (CADO).
Dr. zur Loye is the academic liaison between the dean’s office and the departments of Chemistry & Biochemistry, Geography, Physics & Astronomy, and Psychology. Dr. zur Loye reviews all third-year, tenure, promotion, and post-tenure review files for these units, as well as hiring requests, administrative annual reviews, sabbatical requests, academic program reviews, and nominations for named professorships and faculty and student awards in the sciences.
Dr. zur Loye oversees all graduate directors within the college, college grants administration, college outside professional activities, and annual CAS SmartState reports. Dr. zur Loye serves as the liaison for the USC Office of Research, the College Institutional Review Board, and CAS departments in regards to budget-related matters, the CAS undergraduate computing and research operation, the college machine shop and the college electron microscopy facility.
Ms. Ahyi is responsible for managing college-level academic administrative policies and procedures, dean's office administration and planning, and internal CAS communications.
Ms. Lowder is responsible for budget oversight, analysis and reporting of data collection, as well as development and implementation of strategies to support the college.
Dr. Nickles Osborne allocates and manages college-level curriculum development and review including academic program and course proposals, all resources pertaining to graduate assistants, non-tenure track instructional staffing, adjunct staffing and summer instructional staffing.
Directors of Administrative Areas (Senior Staff)
Director of Grants Operations
- External proposal preparation, especially budget development
- Proposal submission support for both internal (USC’s) and external (sponsors’) systems
- Policy and procedure compliance support for researchers (rebudgeting, extensions, reporting requirements)
- Budget reports for ongoing grants management
- Grant closeouts with Grants and Fund Management Office
- View Ms. Bridgeman's profile.
WEBSITE: Grants Operations
- CAS Incubator for Innovative Teaching
- Academic Unit program assessment planning and reporting
- Liaison to OIRAA on assessment issues
- View Dr. Friend's profile.
WEBSITE: Incubator for Teaching Innovation
Deputy Chief of Staff
- Dean's Internal Grants and Initiatives
- Bridge Humanities Program
- McCausland Fellows program
- Bilinski Graduate Fellowship program
- Employee Relations staff related issues resolution within CAS units
- Chair/Director Appointment and Evaluation processes
- External academic program review process
- Liaison to Associate Deans
- View Ms. Hayes' profile.
Director of Information Resources
- Oversight of CAS internal website
- Electronic form development and implementation
- Administrative technology support in the Office of the Dean
- View Ms. James' profiled .
Director of Budget Operations
- Fiscal and budget affairs for unrestricted funds of all college units
- Unit compliance with budget-related policies and procedures
- Unit- and college-level budget development
- View Ms. Klie's profile.
Senior Director of Advancement
- Oversight of alumni relations
- Oversight of communications and marketing
- Oversight of development
- View Ms. McKay's profile.
WEBSITE: CAS Advancement
Director of Space and Facilities Operations
- Maintenance of buildings and associated service requests
- Monitoring, tracking and representing CAS units during construction and renovations projects
- College space utilization
- Security procedures including all key and Carolina Card access control
- Matters related to the safety of employees, students and visitors
- Emergency preparedness and notifications
- Communication of applicable facilities information to unit Building Coordinators and within the Dean’s Office
- View Mr. Moring's profile.
Director of Information Technology Services
- Technical support services for instructional and administrative needs in CAS
- Coordination with dean, chairs, and directors to assess IT needs
- Advisor for hardware and software planning and acquisition
- Security compliance liaison
- College IT policies and procedures
- IT liaison for university-level advisory and oversight committees
- View Mr. Mullaney's profile.
WEBSITE: CAS Information Technology Services
Director of Human Resources
- Human Resources actions and processes for all college staff, faculty and students
- Recruitment, hiring and appointment procedures
- Faculty review and promotion processes including tenure review
- Leaves of absence, emeritus appointments, administrative appointments
- Faculty awards, endowed chairs and professorships
- College-level compliance with federal, state and university labor laws
- Employee Relations support for CAS faculty and staff
- View Ms. Robinson's profile.
WEBSITE: CAS Human Resources
Dean's Office Support
- Dean's Office 3rd Floor Reception
- Dean's Office Contact Lists
- Petigru conference room reservations
- Administrative support for Assistant Deans Ahyi, Lowder and Nickles-Osborne
- Assistant to the Dean (appointments, travel, correspondence)
- Member of CAS Communications Team
- Coordination of Chair and Director Annual Evaluations and Reappointment Evaluations
- Coordination of CAS Faculty Initiatives Process
- Collaboration with advancement and alumni relations
- College-level enrollment planning and course schedule development
- Classroom space utilization enhancement
- Dean's office liaison with unit scheduling coordinators