The College of Arts and Sciences Office of Human Resources manages all human resources processing and operations for over 2,000 faculty, staff and students in the college's departments, programs, centers, institutes, and schools.
The Office of HR team manages human resources and payroll actions relating to faculty and staff hiring, appointment, review, promotion and retention actions, and leave of absence processing, dual employment, ECOM forms, resignations, and retirements. The office also oversees faculty awards, professorships and endowed chair appointments.
Each unit in the college is assigned a CAS HR contact to manage the approval processes for the above actions. Units should contact their HR Associates using the email accounts below for information requests or to submit Payroll and HR actions for processing.
- Dean's Office
- Aerospace Studies
- African American Research, Institute for
- African American Studies Program
- Civil Rights History & Research, Center for
- Confucius Institute
- Digital Humanities, Center for
- Electron Microscopy Center
- Southern Studies, Institute for
- Army ROTC / Military Science
- Baruch Institute
- Biological Sciences
- Earth, Ocean & Environment, School of
- McKissick Museum
- Naval Science
- SC Institute for Archaeology & Anthropology (SCIAA)
- Science Education, Center for
- Theatre and Dance
- Walker Institute
- Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Criminology & Criminal Justice
- Languages, Literatures, & Cultures
- Physics & Astronomy
- Political Science
- Film & Media Studies Program
- Religious Studies
- Visual Art & Design, School of (SVAD)
- Women's & Gender Studies
Procedures and Resources
Please see the resources below for more information about forms and processing requirements.
The new HCM PeopleSoft system is a comprehensive system that covers Human Resources, Payroll, Benefits and associated Self-Service for employees and managers. As of April 1, the HCM PeopleSoft system is live and available for login at hpm.ps.sc.edu.
The College of Arts and Sciences has two designated HCM support contacts for all faculty and staff. If you have any questions or concerns about the implementation of the new HCM PeopleSoft system, please contact them via the information below.
CAS Dept of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
CAS Office of the Dean
They are available by appointment to provide instructional leadership and end user support for the new system to all College HR contacts, those who hire students, and business managers.
Training is required prior to receiving specific associated roles and permissions in the new HCM PeopleSoft system. Training resources and options for each role are outlined below.
Employees (Faculty, Staff and Student Employees)
No specific training required. All employees can access the new self-service system to request an electronic W-2, set up multiple direct deposits, and update personal information. Online resources and tip sheets are available on the university HR website, Employee Self-Service Resources.
No specific training required. Managers can access the new self-service system to see comprehensive information about their direct reports and manage their employee information. Online resources and tip sheets are available on the university HR website, Manager Self-Service Resources.
To receive the associated roles and permissions in this new system, HR Contacts are required to attend a full day of classroom training. See HR Contact Resources and Training Information.
If you are a CAS HR Contact and were unable to attend training on the assigned days, updated schedule and registration information for upcoming training sessions can be found on the HR HCM Training Site.
Payroll actions must be initiated using the new Payroll Action Request Form (PARF) below.
Student Hire Representatives
To receive the associated roles and permission in this new system, Student Hire Reps are required to view the pre-recorded Student Hire webinar. See Student Hire Rep Resources and Training Webinar. After viewing the webinar, please complete and submit the online HCM Learning Confirmation Form.
Chairs, Directors and all others who approve HR transactions are required to view the pre-recorded Approval Workflow webinar. See Approver Resources and Training Webinar. After viewing the webinar, please complete and submit the online HCM Learning Confirmation Form.
**Please note: The standard College approval process for all HR actions is still required before any action can be initiated in the HCM system.**
Additional Pay/Job Change/Status Change Actions
- Unit will submit a request and justification for the applicable action via email using the standard CAS process. Requests should be submitted to the Dean's Office using the applicable HR email account above.
- The College will respond to let the unit know whether the request is approved or denied.
- If approved, the HR Contact will initiate the appropriate eform in HCM PeopleSoft, attaching the Dean's Office approval email (PDF format) as supporting documentation. The HR Contact then submits to next approver (Chair/Director).
- Chair/Director approves the transaction in HCM PeopleSoft and submits to the Dean's Office for approval.*
- Dean's Office approves and submits to university HR. If the information is not accurate,
the request recycles back to the initiator with notes in the comments section.
*Note: If the Chair/Director is unavailable to approve a transaction, approval should be gained in writing and attached to the initial request along with a note in the comments section.
Internal Dual Hires (External dual hires are still processed in PeopleAdmins
- HR contact in the Requesting Unit initiates the action in HCM PeopleSoft and submits to Requesting College for approval.
- Requesting College approves and submits to employee’s Home Unit for approval.
- Home Chair/Director approves and submits to Home College for approval.
- Home College approves and submits to university HR.
- Dept HR Contact has the affiliate fill out the Affiliate Information form (NEW).
- .Dept HR Contact initiates the affiliate hire in HCM PeopleSoft, attaching completed Affiliate Information form and submits to next approver (Chair/Director).
- Chair/Director approves the transaction in HCM PeopleSoft and submits to the Dean's Office for approval.
- Dean's Office approves and submits to university HR. If the information is not accurate, the request recycles back to the initiator with notes in the comments section.
Student Hires (now considered to be an HR action)
- Department completes the CAS Student Hire Form.
- Dept HR contact initiates the student hire in HCM PeopleSoft, attaching the completed Student Hire form, and submits to next approver (Chair/Director).
- Chair/Director approves the transaction in HCM PeopleSoft and submits to university HR.
Payroll Account Changes and Payroll Journal Entries (JE)
Effective immediately, the new Payroll Action Request Form (link) should be used for payroll journal entries to move payroll expenses that have already posted (now known as retro account changes) and to initiate current/future account changes (formerly done on a PBP 4/5). This process is for all employees – faculty, staff, students, temps, RGPs, etc. The form will need to be approved by the Chair/Director and by the PI if a grant is involved.
- Department completes the CAS Payroll Action Request Form (PARF) [pdf].
- Chair/Director and the PI (if a grant is involved) approve the form and forward to
the Dean's Office via firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Dean's Office approves the form and initiates the action in PeopleSoft HCM.
University HR docs
Human Resources/Payroll Project Main Page
Definitions of HR Related Terms (PDF)
HR Toolbox - HCM PeopleSoft Tips, Memos, Notification
Student Hire Resources - HCM PeopleSoft Training documents and Webinars
HR Contact Resources ‐ HCM PeopleSoft Training documents and Webinars