About the program
This initiative is intended to assist a full-time tenure-track or tenured faculty member in either developing a new research project or completing an on-going project, with priority given to research in the arts, humanities, and social sciences.
It will fund research conducted between January 11, 2021 and December 31, 2021.
Applicants may request up to $10,000 for eligible costs. Funds cannot be used for summer compensation, course releases, or course buyout. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, requests for travel expenses will not be considered.
The 2020-2021 application deadline was Friday, October 30, 2020 by 5:00 p.m. Applications are no longer being accepted for Faculty Research and Scholarship grants. Please contact your department chair or associate dean with any questions.
Award Recipient Report
Each award recipient must submit a one-page summary of accomplishments or achievements to the dean’s office within 30 days of completion of research or the expiration of the award. The summary must be submitted online using “summary_ [name of initiative]_[last name of faculty member]” as the filename.
All files should use 12-point font size and 1-inch margins and be submitted in
8.5" x 11" PDF format unless otherwise noted in the instructions.
- Each applicant must submit a current vita (4-page maximum) along with a brief proposal (2-page maximum) outlining the research to be conducted during some portion of the 2021 calendar year.
- Faculty members who received research initiative funding in the previous year must include a summary (1-page maximum) of how the current proposal differs from the previous proposal, as well as any outcomes of the previous award.
- Applicants with current startup or retention funds must have expended those funds prior to requesting initiative funding.
- The applicant must also include an itemized budget with justification detailing how the funds will be spent. Approved technology purchases are the property of the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Applications must also identify all current and pending support, along with an explanation of how requested funds are needed/different.
Department Head Statement of Support
The department head must also submit a brief statement of support (1-page maximum) for each applicant.
- The department head will be notified of the faculty member's application submission and sent a unique link to use to respond to the application.
- The statement can be entered in the online form or uploaded as an attachment.