Spring 2020 Call for Nominations
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is pleased to invite nominations for the annual Undergraduate Teaching Award for faculty who are not on the tenure-track. The purpose of this award is to recognize excellence in instruction in the College of Arts and Sciences by instructional faculty members.
Each recipient will receive a $2,000 award. There will be one recipient in the Arts and Humanities, and one recipient in the Math and Sciences.
Nomination Submission Deadline: March 23, 2020.
Awards will be announced before the end of the semester.
Eligibility for the award is limited to full-time (FTE) instructional faculty engaged in undergraduate instruction, who have been employed by the college for a minimum of three consecutive years at the time of their nomination, and hold the title of instructor, senior instructor, lecturer, clinical instructor, or clinical professor (any rank). Tenured and tenure-track faculty are not eligible to be nominated.
1. Individual faculty members, programs, departments or student organizations may submit one or more nominations for a teaching award. Nominators should coordinate their nominations and completion of the award application with the nominee and chair/director of the nominee’s department or program.
2. Supporting data for each nominee shall be submitted in the following order in a consolidated PDF:
- Nomination title page
- A brief curriculum vita of nominee (3 page limit)
- A letter from the department chair or program director supporting the nomination and stressing the nominee’s contributions to the academic mission of the department. The letter should indicate what qualities make this nominee extraordinary, not just very good or consistent, but how he/she has made an unusual impact in teaching. The letter should also highlight the contributions and achievements of the nominee that indicate dedication to and excellence in teaching.
- Two supporting letters from present or past students. At least one of these letters should be from a student with recent or current contact with the nominee.
- One supporting letter from a colleague (other than a student) who is qualified and specifically asked to comment on the nominee’s teaching capabilities.
- A one-page summary of teaching philosophy and any supplemental materials the nominee wishes to submit.
The deadline for the receipt of completed nominations is Monday, March 23, 2020. Nominations should be submitted via email to email@example.com as a consolidated PDF containing the material outlined above.
Award applications will be reviewed by three members of the College of Arts and Sciences dean’s senior staff and three faculty members appointed by the dean. Awards will be announced before the end of the semester.
Please contact Sarah Livingston in the Dean's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.