About the Program
This initiative is intended to provide a full-time tenure-track or tenured faculty member with funding to purchase a single piece of equipment (whose cost is greater than $5,000) that is vital to their research; priority will be given to research in the sciences.
Applicants may request up to $20,000 to purchase equipment, inclusive of any maintenance agreement. Computers and laptops are not considered small equipment in this initiative and will not be covered.
The application deadline is Friday October 30, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. for purchases to be made during the 2021 calendar year.
The application materials should be submitted online.
All files should use 12-point font size and 1-inch margins and be submitted in 8.5" x 11" PDF format unless otherwise noted in the instructions.
- Each applicant must submit a current vita (4-page maximum), a brief proposal (2-page maximum) along with a one-page budget justification that specifies the equipment to be purchased, costs and how it will benefit the applicant’s research.
- Applicants with current startup or retention funds must have expended those funds prior to requesting initiative funding.
- If matching funds are being provided by the applicant’s department, a letter from the department chair that specifies the amount of the match should accompany the application.
- Applicants need to provide documentation that no additional facilities’ costs, including electrical modifications or other safety issues, will be incurred.
- The applicant must list both all current external grant support and all internal sources of support (e.g., start-up funds), specifying the amounts in each instance.
Award Recipient Report
Each award recipient must submit a one-page summary of accomplishments or achievements to the dean’s office within 30 days of completion of research, travel, or equipment purchase.
The summary must be submitted using the online report form and file name format: “summary_ [name of initiative]_[last name of faculty member]”.