Faculty and Staff
Assistant Professor of Music History
School of Music
School of Music Room 311
Kunio Hara received his Ph.D. in musicology from Indiana University Jacobs School of Music; the title of his dissertation is "Staging Nostalgia in Puccini's Operas." He also holds a BM degree and a MM degree in both music history and clarinet performance from the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music. His primary areas of research include operas of Giacomo Puccini, 19th- and 20th-century music, and exoticism in music. He is also interested in the development of Western music in Japan since the 19th century. His published works include articles “Rudolf Dittrich’s Nippon Gakufu and Giacomo Puccini’s Madama Butterfly” in Music Research Forum and “The Structure of Nostalgia in Puccini’s Operas” in Between Nostalgia, Utopia, and Realities. He has presented papers at various national and international musicological and interdisciplinary conferences including the meetings of American Musicological Society and American Comparative Literature Association. Apart from survey courses on 19th- and 20th-century music, he has taught courses on Puccini’s operas.
2012 PhD Indiana University Jacobs School of Music (Musicology)
2003 MM University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music (Music History/Clarinet Performance)
2000 BM University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music (Music History/Clarinet Performance)
Areas of Specialization
• Operas of Giacomo Puccini
• 19th- and 20th-century music
• Western music in Japan
• Exoticism and Orientalism in music
• MUSC 100L Recital Class Lab: Critical Listening
• MUSC 455 History of Western Music III—1850-present
• MUSC 744P Puccini: Critical and Analytical Methods
• MUSC 744E Exoticism in Western Music
• MUSC 756 Music of the Baroque
• “The Structure of Nostalgia in Puccini’s Operas.” In Between Nostalgia, Utopia, and Realities, edited by Vesna Mikić, Ivana Perković, Tijana Popović Mlađenović, and Mirijana Veselinović-Hofman,
204–15. Belgrade: University of Arts, 2012.
• “Rudolf Dittrich’s Nippon Gakufu and Giacomo Puccini’s Madama Butterfly.” Music Research Forum 19 (2004): 1–25.