To set-up an audition, visit http://www.sc.edu/study/colleges_schools/music/apply/index.php
For Financial Aid, visit:
Financial aid and scholarship website
Undergraduate - Music Education (BMUED, non-performance)
Candidates in the brass area should prepare two movements from different compositions from the standard solo repertoire that show a contrast in style, one fast and the other slow and lyrical. (Two single movement works are also acceptable.) Accompaniment is not required. Major scales should be prepared; sightreading will be required. (Solo examples: Haydn Concerto, Hummel Concerto, Arutunian Concerto, also: works by Bozza, Donato, Ropartz, Arban/Clarke, et al.) Auditions run approx. 10 minutes in length. Sightreading and scales may be asked.
Undergraduate - Performance (BM & PC)
- Kent Kennan, Sonata for Trumpet (Mvt I)
- F. J. Haydn, Concerto for Trumpet (Mvt II)
- Goedicke Concert Etude
- Orchesral Excerpts: Mahler 5 (opening), Pictures (opening), Pines of Rome (off stage solo)
Auditions run approx. 10 minutes in length. Sightreading and scales may be asked.
Graduate - (MM & DMA)
- Piccolo piece of choice (one movement only - Fasch, Tartini, Torelli, Corelli, Telemann, Richter, et al.)
- Longinotti Etude No. 7
- Haydn or Hummel Trumpet Concerto (Mvts. I-II)
- Tomasi Trumpet Concerto (Mvt. I)
- Choice of unaccompanied solo trumpet work (Intrada, Solus, Cascades, Postcards, et al.)
- Orchestral Excerpts: Mahler 5 (opening), Petroushka (Ballerina Dance), Pictures (opening), Pines (offstage), Beethoven Leonore Call (Nos. 2 & 3)
Audition duration is approx. 20-25 minutes. Sightreading and scales may be asked.
Students wishing to apply for a graduate assistantship will also interview at the time of the audition.